Thread: Fender Super-Sonic 22 vs. Super-Sonic 60 Review

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fender Super-Sonic 22 vs. Super-Sonic 60 Review

Since I have them both, I figure it would be good to sit down and put a little review together. Of course I'm reviewing a 22w/6V6 combo to a 60w/6L6 head, but I ran them both through the same 2x12 V30 cab. The volume difference? It's substantial but the 22 holds its own. It is the loudest 22w amp I've ever heard, but I only got the volume up to 5 (less than 1/2). By then it's loud enough for most clubs.

Interestingly enough the 60 is able to get a wider variety of low volume sounds since it has a more gradual volume taper. The 22 gets loud very quick. Still, it's great for home practice and recording.

These two amps sound different. In fact, I would venture to say that the 22 is an overall better sounding amp. I like the cleans better and the burn channel is warm and natural. The 60 burn channel is very good but sounds a little more sterile than the 22. It gets better when the volume is high but by then it's going to piss off the heavy handed drummer down the street!

I hate to say it this way but the 60 Burn channel sounds more sterile than the 22. Having said that, the 60 has more gain at lower volumes. The 22 gets saturated at band practice levels but the Bassman or "Fst" channel does not get much break up until it's ear piercingly loud like around 5.

The 22 has reverb but it sounds kind of washy. I ran my Line6 M9 through the FX loop and it sounded much better. The FX loop works fantastically on either one.

The 60 head has some white noise even when it's on the cleanest channel. The 22 is quieter. They both get fairly noisy when the gain is full on. That's one of my only complaints about this amp.

The only other complaint I can think of is there is not presence or depth controls to help fine tune the EQ; however, the EQ is really neat. You can turn any of them all the way down and achieve a variety of sounds.

The gain controls are interesting. Gain 1 is like a tube screamer kind of gain. It cannot be turned completely off. Gain 2 is a more modern gain and it can be turned to zero. On either amp I prefer a mix either more than the other. I don't really like how it sounds as much when the gain controls are equally blended.

This is an amp for improving your technique! It is very unforgiving to people with flaws in their technique. It took me a while to get used to it. At first it sounded muddy and sloppy, but then I realized I had to fret and pick more precisely. It goes from barely audible to loud just by hitting the strings harder. It's one of the most unforgiving amps I've ever played.

Overall I prefer the 22. I think it sounds a tiny bit better, but it does not have the same kind of puch as the 60. I think the 60 is more versatile.

If you compare the 60 to the old Super-Sonic, the main differences are:

1. More low end
    2. Smoother, less tinny Burn channel
    3. Improved volume taper

That's it for now. I hope you enjoyed the reviews.
    Last edited by UberMetalDood; 08-24-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    Good trades with: Dominus, Jackson Distortion, Richard, DWVINKY, Notesfeld, Inhuman, Brunogio, SFW, Jolly, Darthphineas,Crane, SrDeMaFp...

There is nothing on this earth sexier, believe me, gentlemen, than a woman you have to salute in the morning.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fender Super-Sonic 22 vs. Super-Sonic 60 Review

What about size of the two amps? Is there a big difference? I have already looked at the specs provided by Fender but cannot get a "feel" of the size difference. No one in the state (Colorado) has the 60 that I can look at. Right now I have the 22 and love it but might want the 60 for future events.

Last question... I set my 22 on "fat" at around 3 for volume and get great break up. When does the 60 start to break up in "fat" mode?

Thanks!!!

BTW this is my first post!

Mojo's Minions Laughing Kookaburra's Avatar

Appreciate the review!

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

now review the Twin

i want one for doom / sludge
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    Mahogany slabs with P-90's into a Marshall.

There is literally no rig more rock-n-roll than that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    now review the Twin

i want one for doom / sludge
    . . . yes please !

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=2162100000

I was looking forward to read the review in the August edition of GUITARIST, just to see that they did not incl the new 100W Super Sonic on their DVD

I want to hear this head into a full stack (not w the V30's though), on the Bassman channel, cranked to '10'.

And UberMetalDood, thanks for the review mate !
    Tele & SG into FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / block letter 5150 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 (2x V30's) / Marshall Class 5 combo

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats a great review thanks!

Ultimate Tone Member infrared72's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for posting your review. I've had the Super Sonic 22 for a few months now, and I really like it. Pairing the Fender clean channel along with a Marshall style cascading gain channel is a great combination. I'm able to get a good variety of tones with all my guitars using this amp, so I'm really happy with mine overall.

I actually won mine a few months back in a contest, and still pretty stoked over that. I certainly don't have the money at this point to buy expensive fender amps either new or vintage.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks, i was looking at both of those

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have played the twin in fact several times. One of the coolest things about it is the power scaling. It does not sound like the 22. It sounds more like the 60, but warmer at all volumes. The clean is better than the 22 in my opinion. It sounds deeper and more vintage. It's not as heavy as it looks in the picture, but carries about the same weight as an electra dyne combo. I'm really impressed with what Fender has done with the supersonics lately.
    Good trades with: Dominus, Jackson Distortion, Richard, DWVINKY, Notesfeld, Inhuman, Brunogio, SFW, Jolly, Darthphineas,Crane, SrDeMaFp...

There is nothing on this earth sexier, believe me, gentlemen, than a woman you have to salute in the morning.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought the 22 several months ago. I really like the tones from those 6v6 tubes. This little amp does quite a few things well, for a Fender.

Ultimate Tone Slacker IanBallard's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tried out the 22 recently and I liked it a lot. It was like a high-octane Vox, probably due to the 6v6s but definitely had a unique character. I agree it was damn loud for the wattage it's rated at, perhaps because the stock speakers are designed to push hard.

The Super Sonic model on my Mustang is, by far, the best high-gain model on it, IMO. Very creamy and smooth with lots of mids. It's actually quite a lot like the real thing to my ears.

Ultimate Tone Slacker SOLO GUITAR STEWIE's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the Review!
    "If you have a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

http://www.trinitydowney.com

http://www.facebook.com/chrisstewartministries