Thread: Best vintage sound buckers for Gibson SG?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Best vintage sound buckers for Gibson SG?

Hi, know there has been many threads about this but some
    further feedback please from the forum.

TONE WANTED: 70s rock n' roll a la "early Angus", mid-rangey stuff

CURRENTLY IN GUITAR: Bill Lawrence L500, great pickup but very balanced and "hi fi" sounding in character, lacking some of that "gnarl".

What Duncans buckers are the best for my preference? Think output wise anything above 8,5-9 ohms in the bridge are too hot. That means C5 and JB and so forth are most likely too hot for what I'm aiming for tone wise.

How about SH-1 (59) in the bridge and SH-2 (Jazz) or SH-55 (Seth Lover) in the neck for combination?

Please advise!

Cheers / Jonas

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Best vintage sound buckers for Gibson SG?

Welcome to the forum!

As you said, the 59 is a fantastic pickup. There's a custom shop pickup called the Brobucker that's a 10k PAF nicknamed Angus or Iommi in a box. My favorite pickup for what you are describing. Then you've got the Antiquity, which is like buying a vintage PAF as it would sound now, the Seth Lover which is like going back in time and buying a vintage PAF and it will sound like it did then, the Pearly Gates which was modeled after Billy Gibbons 59(?) Les Paul pickup. Duncan has lots and lots of stuff that will get you into that territory, provided your amp can do it too.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

in an sg i would put a pair of 59's. thats pretty close to what came stock in the early sg's and its a great tone. if you want to go with something else in the neck position then i would suggest a pearly gates neck over the seth neck, it will match the in the bridge better. if you want to go with a seth lover in the neck, then i would get a seth for the bridge as well

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Jeremy, appreciate your feedback. Ant and Brobucker are tempting...but pricey, the 59s seems reasonable priced as well IMO.
    Cheers / Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    in an sg i would put a pair of 59's. thats pretty close to what came stock in the early sg's and its a great tone. if you want to go with something else in the neck position then i would suggest a pearly gates neck over the seth neck, it will match the in the bridge better. if you want to go with a seth lover in the neck, then i would get a seth for the bridge as well
    "Courage to invest, discipline to deliver"

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a 1979 SG that was completely original. Get that. The pickups were low DC resistance (neck was in the 5's in circuit) but I think might have had ceramic magnets...maybe. They were black-epoxy filled for no squealing. I bought the guitar on ebay for $650 and sold it a few month later for $1350 because I was buying a house. This was in 2005. It's the only guitar I've sold in the last 20 years.

I hate selling because I always regret it no matter what. I sold a 1972 LP Custom back in 1989 because I can't stand the fretless wonder stuff. I still hate those low frets (I try one out at Guitar Center every so often) but I still regret selling it.
    Last edited by DonP; 02-16-2011 at 07:18 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah Don, would be so much better if we all guitarists just had a sh**load of cash - so we could keep all stuff - and then some!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DonP View Post
    I had a 1979 SG that was completely original. Get that. The pickups were low DC resistance (neck was in the 5's in circuit) but I think might have had ceramic magnets...maybe. They were black-epoxy filled for no squealing. I bought the guitar on ebay for $650 and sold it a few month later for $1350 because I was buying a house. This was in 2005. It's the only guitar I've sold in the last 20 years.

I hate selling because I always regret it no matter what. I sold a 1972 LP Custom back in 1989 because I can't stand the fretless wonder stuff. I still hate those low frets (I try one out at Guitar Center every so often) but I still regret selling it.

Ultimate Tone Slacker jake_xms3_punk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 for 59 set.
    our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
    'Cause all the girls are sluts,
    And the beer tastes just like piss.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DonP View Post
    I sold a 1972 LP Custom back in 1989 because I can't stand the fretless wonder stuff. I still hate those low frets (I try one out at Guitar Center every so often) but I still regret selling it.
    You are my man. I bought a 1979 Gibson Mark81 Acoustic Guitar - Rosewood sides and back, ebony fretboard, fancy mother of pearl inlays and ... fretless wonder frets. I dont play it very often, but i cant sell it either. What a beauty what a sound .. but i hate to play it.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so -Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock

Ultimate Tone Member Mononoaware's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JonasSweden1 View Post
    Hi, know there has been many threads about this but some
    further feedback please from the forum.

TONE WANTED: 70s rock n' roll a la "early Angus", mid-rangey stuff

CURRENTLY IN GUITAR: Bill Lawrence L500, great pickup but very balanced and "hi fi" sounding in character, lacking some of that "gnarl".

What Duncans buckers are the best for my preference? Think output wise anything above 8,5-9 ohms in the bridge are too hot. That means C5 and JB and so forth are most likely too hot for what I'm aiming for tone wise.

How about SH-1 (59) in the bridge and SH-2 (Jazz) or SH-55 (Seth Lover) in the neck for combination?

Please advise!

Cheers / Jonas
    Great post. This should be a template for people asking for pickup advice.

I've not owned the 59's, so can't comment about them. However, the PGs are the "it" sound for a lot of guys, and I agree -- an musical A2 organic sound crossed with just the right frequencies to "cut." Not too hot, but they stand out.

It'd be hard to go wrong with a PG/PG combo, or a PGn in combo with one of the other suggested bridges.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i love my pg's but i think they tend to sound better in a les paul than a sg, not that they cant sound amazing in a sg but i think it is more amp dependant. pgb in sg thru 50w cranked plexi thru a g12m loaded cab would be pure rock and roll goodness.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Angus Young is using a Pearly Gates variant (with A5 instead of A2) in his recent signature models.

I wonder how an Unoriented A5 would do in a Pearly Gates set, particularly in an SG which often want a bit more bass.

Ultimate Tone Slacker IanBallard's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to say, if you are unsure and can't make up your mind, a set of '59's is the best bang for the buck as far as "PAF" tones are concerned. The best thing about that wind, is that is sounds good with almost any magnet put in it. You can "de-boom" the neck by putting an A4 or A3 in it and you can make the bridge a rock monster with an A8.

If you're not familiar to the concept, mag-swapping takes $10, 10 minutes and creates a totally new pickup. The 59 is a great platform for shaping your guitar tones, just experimenting with new magnets alone and are cheaper than Pearly Gates pups and way cheaper than CS models.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks man, appreciate your saying that ;-)

Best/ Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Mononoaware View Post
    Great post. This should be a template for people asking for pickup advice.

I've not owned the 59's, so can't comment about them. However, the PGs are the "it" sound for a lot of guys, and I agree -- an musical A2 organic sound crossed with just the right frequencies to "cut." Not too hot, but they stand out.

It'd be hard to go wrong with a PG/PG combo, or a PGn in combo with one of the other suggested bridges.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    +1. '59's would be my first choice, with an UOA5 or RC A4 in the bridge.