Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Well CXIII: The Dali is en la casa

Lovely BIG Starologist bluesbend's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Well CXIII: The Dali is en la casa

What is the meaning of this?
    " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What's up with the name that you picked? Any significance?

"The Dali" is an old college nickname. A bunch of us were fairly decent golfers (although we couldn't afford to play much during our college years) and we liked the movie Caddyshack. As is probably true of many of you, when we got together there would be constant movie references... eventually the "Dalai Lama" references got changed to the Dalai Lima. Especially on the golf course. Any time I'd get ready to hit any shot I'd hear, "The Dalai, big hitter the Dalai" or "Gunga-la-gunga" whispered behind me. It was cool for a while, but then it got pretty distracting!

Anyhow... once we all got email it became kinda my codename... but, being dumb college kids (and post college young adults) we never bothered to look up the spelling of the Dalai Lama, so we just wrote it how we thought it was spelled. I think we all had a hidden love of the artistic work of Salvadore Dali, which led to the spelling. In any event, it became my nickname.

So there you have it!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ever push the soft spot on a baby?
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my band:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is the meaning of this?

Hi Blues! Thanks for the question. I'm assuming here that you are really asking about the meaning of your avatar, which is clearly a slutty clown fellating a balloon-animal.

As to what is the meaning of this... we'll have to go into your childhood a bit. Your need to titilate yourself and others through the use of lewd photos is likely linked to tramatic childhood experiences that have likely been repressed over the years to protect your conscious "you". To fully explain your nuerosis, we need to dive into Sigmund Freud.

In 1923 Freud described his constructs of the id, ego and the superego. The id is the most primitive part of our personality. It operates according to the pleasure principle and it simply seeks immediate gratification. Freud believed that every human had a life and death instinct. The life instinct is called eros while the death instinct is called thanatos. Both are integral parts of the id. And the energy for this mechanism is libido, a flowing, dynamic force.

The ego is different from the id as it is extremely objective. It operates according to the "reality principle" and deals with the demands of the environment. It regulates the flow of libido and keeps the id in check, thus acting as a "control center" of the personality. It is the superego which represents the values and standards of an individual's personality. It acts as an internal judge, it punishes the ego with feelings of guilt or it rewards, which lead to feelings of pride and heightened self esteem. The superego is a characteristic of the personality which strives for perfection. According to Freud, the disparity and development of the id, ego and the superego, determines an individuals behavior in a given situation, which in turn results in the development of the personality. Freud placed great importance on the early years of a child as he believed that what we are as adults is determined by childhood experiences. Freud called these early years of development the psychosexual years of development. These early years proceed through a number of stages. Each child undergoes the different stages. These stages are the oral stage (first year of life), the anal stage ( second year), phallic stage (third through fifth year), a period of latency (from 6 to 12), and the genital stage (after puberty). Freud believed that as every child passes through these stages there might be a likely possibility that a child may spend more time in a particular stage then they aught to. This condition can lead to a fixation or an incomplete development of the personality. A critical event during the first five years of life is the experience of Oedipus and Electra conflicts.

Another major aspect of psychoanalysis is the development of defense mechanisms. According to the theory defense mechanisms are used by the ego to protect the person from anxiety. Repression is when information is pushed down into the unconscious. This information is either unpleasant or undesirable and may cause anxiety. Very often this information is pushed so deep down into the unconscious that is hard to retrieve. Reaction formation is when due to anxiety feelings are replaced by the extreme opposite. For instance a person feeling hate will be replaced by love. Undoing is when the ego completely changes actions which lead to feelings of anxiety. In this mechanism the truth may be drastically distorted. Projection is when an individual tends to assign one's own shortcomings on to someone else. Rationalization is when an irrational act is made to appear rational. Denial occurs in cases where the ego is threatened and a person refuses to acknowledge the reality or seriousness of the situation. Identification involves empathizing with the qualities or characteristics of another favorable person. Fixation and Regression are related mechanisms which occur during psychosexual development.

Clearly, I feel as though your stunted mental development is projecting your inner turmoil in the form of women in clown costumes performing sexual acts. My suggestion would be to seek professional help immediately.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ever push the soft spot on a baby?

After careful consideration, and some preliminary dicussions with my attorney, I am going to plead the 5th here.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What's with the SpongBob Iron Maiden bit?

Hi John-Squared. The Spongebob Maiden deal is something I stumbled upon after trying to figure out what the visual depiction of The Dali should be online.

I started out with some basic images - guitars, guitars on fire, famous musicians, etc... None seemed to really embody all the things I bring to the table on a daily basis. At one point I used a cartoon image of myself that I had commissioned by and artist friend of mine. The image was actually used for my golf tournament.

Every year I run a golf tournament to benefit the "Hole in the Wall Gang Camp". It is a charity camp started by Paul Newman and provides a weekly get-away for terminally ill children. My tournament ( www.limaclassic.com) raises $1000 - $5000 a year. Anyhow, one year I decided to make up Lima Classic beer glasses to sell for the charity. I used the image referenced above on that glass:

Anyhow... eventually I started looking around at Iron Maiden-related images since I'm a huge Maiden fan. During my Google search I found a bunch of Spongebob/Maiden images that simply cracked me up. My kids love Spongebob, and I also think its a pretty freakin' funny show, so I decided to use it as my avatar. These are probably 25 different versions, and I've used different ones on different forums over the years.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where have all the flowers gone?
    " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is it that the men don't know but the little girls understand?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the real question that you are trying to ask is, "why don't you bring me flowers anymore?"

Well, Blues...

You don't bring me flowers... and you don't sing me love songs... You hardly talk to me anymore when I come through the door at the end of the day.

I remember when you couldn't wait to love me - used to hate to leave me. Now after lovin' me late at night, when it's good for you (and you're feelin' alright), well you just roll over and turn out the light.

And you don't bring me flowers anymore.

It used to be so natural to talk about forever, but "used to be's" don't count anymore. They just lay on the floor until we sweep them away.

And Blues, I remember all the things you taught me. I learned how to laugh, and I learned how to cry. Well I learned how to love, even learned how to lie. So you'd think I could learn how to tell you goodbye.

You don't bring me flowers anymore.

You'd think I could learn how to tell you 'goodbye'...you don't say you need me...you don't sing me love songs..

You don't bring me flowers anymore...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gentlemen (and ladies who any are brave enough to wade the murky waters of SDUGF)... any other questions tickling your fancy?

Ultimate Tone Slacker jake_xms3_punk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

do you believe in aliens?
    our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
    'Cause all the girls are sluts,
    And the beer tastes just like piss.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whats that on your chin?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jake_xms3_punk View Post
    And have you ever been abducted?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Vespa View Post
    Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
    I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
    Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
    Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
    Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
    Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
    Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's time to pass this thing on. Kam would be good for a well.
    Oh balls...

Ultimate Tone Slacker woemoejack's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    It's time to pass this thing on. Kam would be good for a well.
    he's going to be really happy about that, he's always wanted to do a well...
    Beer me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jake_xms3_punk View Post
    Ok, I've been slacking. Clearly, you all have a deep-seated need to know more about me, so I apologize for my lax attitude about the Well recently. Please forgive me as I've been too busy arguing about global warming and the true value of an Agile.

As an aside, "The Right Stuff" by NKOTB just played on Itunes.

The short answer to your question is "yes".

The medium answer is that I really do find it hard to believe that (if the scientists are correct) we are the only solar system with life. Now, as mentioned, that is if all the crap we read in books is true. That's the hard part... we all learn from reading and listening to work OTHER people did. Am I to believe some scientists in labs and observatories across the world are correct in their theories? I guess so.

Think about it... do we REALLY know that the stars are just other "suns" in other galaxies? The people tell me they are, so I guess I'll believe them since I don't have the training, knowledge, or interest to actually find out on my own.

So, if we believe that the theory that all the stars we see in the sky are simply different "suns" that could all have planets revolving around them like our own, then I thnk you'd have to be dense not to think that ONE of those planets would have some form of life.

Now, has any alien ever visited our planet? Who knows? I'll wager that it is possible, but for all we know every "alien" out there is as inept as we are and hasn't been able to get off their own planet either.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbend View Post
    Whats that on your chin?

Well, if you'd get thatthing outta my mouth I'd be happy to tell you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbagg View Post
    And have you ever been abducted?
    There was this time in college that I woke up in a strange dorm room, with a hazy recollection of a slightly plump girl feeding me drinks the night before. I woke up on this nasty couch looking out a sliding glass door. It looked like there was foot of snow outside, until I realized that the balcony was completely painted white and then the realization that I was hung over and in a strange girl's apartment hit me. I booked out of there as quickly (and quietly) as possible (I had a 9am class!!). I remember that my buddy interrupted me and "Shirley" the night before to ask if I had an extra condom...

Oh, but I guess you are talking about an ALIEN abduction. No, that's the closest I've ever come...sorry...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About F@ckin' time!

What about F@ckin' space?

No kidding, what would you do with it?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please clarify - what would I do about space? Space in my closet? Space between my teeth? outer space?