Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jackson vs. ESP

Ultimate Tone Slacker Metalman_666's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Jackson vs. ESP

Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus
    No, I´m saying that Jackson´s "Speed" profile is thinner than Jackson´s "Soloist" profile

Slimmer necks tend to be faster as a general rule.
    .... maybe I'm just being an idiot... but what does that have to do with my Ibanez neck?
    • Ibanez ART600TK (Custom8/Air Norton)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (JB+Custom Hybrid/Jazz)
    • Schecter A-7 Avenger (EMG 707/607)
    • MIM Fender Strat (Stock)
    • Vox V847 / Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> VisualSound Route66 --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> Fulltone FatBoost 3 --> Line6 DL4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B short head (SED =C= 6L6) + Ear Candy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)
    • Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman_666
    .... maybe I'm just being an idiot... but what does that have to do with my Ibanez neck?
    You Ibanez Saber should have a very thin profile more comparable to the flat d of the Speed than the rounded C of the Soloist

BTW, Abstract, being comprised primarily of former Jackson and BC Rich luthiers, is under VERY close scritiny by J/C at all times. So I´m not sure theyßll want to take the risk of building a Rhoads, as Jackson already wasn´t too happy about the (non trademarked) Vinnie Vincent V
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You Ibanez Saber should have a very thin profile more comparable to the flat d of the Speed than the rounded C of the Soloist

BTW, Abstract, being comprised primarily of former Jackson and BC Rich luthiers, is under VERY close scritiny by J/C at all times. So I´m not sure theyßll want to take the risk of building a Rhoads, as Jackson already wasn´t too happy about the (non trademarked) Vinnie Vincent V
    .... lol I don't have an Ibanez Saber!! It's an SZ520.. nothing too special

About Abstract, I'll probably stick with Jackson or ESP no matter what. Anyone else have any useful info?
    Last edited by Metalman_666; 11-18-2004 at 02:18 PM.
    • Vox V847 / Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> VisualSound Route66 --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> Fulltone FatBoost 3 --> Line6 DL4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B short head (SED =C= 6L6) + Ear Candy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)
    • Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah, sorry, I thought the SZ was a newer Saber

In that case, go with the soloist profile. The slightly thicker shape will give you a bit of a stronger tone, and it´s plenty fast, my personal favorite
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder'd about that ... I thought either they'd cut em some slack .. or they'd backhand em (lawsuit wise) if the stepped outta line.. seems like they're so small (at this point) BC/jc wouldnt trip too hard on a one off RR.

have they "spoken" to them about the Harpoon? or does one of the builders who relocated own that shape?

seems like the 3+3 headstocks have a BC shape and style to em ... and I wonder if gibson is worried about them building SG's?

sorry for the highjack ... just buy the jackson ...
    "I don't care if you boo .. just boo in key!" JH

Pups ~> duncan ~ WCR ~ VOODOO by Peter Florance!

Guitars ~> Gibson ~ G&L ~ Guild ~ Fender ~ ESP ~ Heritage

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In that case, go with the soloist profile. The slightly thicker shape will give you a bit of a stronger tone, and it´s plenty fast, my personal favorite
    ..... but didn't you say the SPEED (thinner) shape is better?? I'm confused!!!!
    • Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No neck is "better" its just a matter of if you like it thinner (speed profile) och thicker (soloist profile), The fastest neck is the one that YOU play the fastest on.
    The thicker one could maybe give you a little fatter tone though....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OH ok.. I think I understand. What Zerb meant was that if I like the thickness of my Ibanez neck, it would be better to go with the Soloist neck profile.... and it would also give me a fatter tone than the Speed profile... The only thing is I think he also said thinner necks tend to be faster as a rule. So maybe I should just find a Speed neck to play on and then make my decision!
    • Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you should go out and play a couple of guitars (not just for 5 minutes) and see which one fits your hand the best, where you can do all you like and then base the custom neck profile on that one
    As I climb onto your back, I will promise not to sting
    I will tell you what you want to hear and not mean anything
    Then I treat you like a dog as I shoot my venom in
    You pretend you didn't know that I am a scorpion, ya!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Jackson vs. ESP

Have to go with Jackson on this one. I've owned three Jacksons (KX-10D, Charvel Model 4, and Charvel Dimas Anniversary) and two ESPs (Eclipse and Vintage+ S), and I couldn't wait to unload both ESPs. After owning them for a month they retired to their cases never to be seen again until the day I pawned them off on some other poor bastard.

On the other hand I still have two of the Jacksons (both Charvels). I traded the KX-10D for a Fender Floyd Rose Strat which I traded for the Model 4. The ESPs played ok, but I couldn't get over how they sounded like sh*t regardless of what I did with them.

I've been thinking about the custom guitar I'd like to order, and after much thought I'd like to acquire a korina Jackson Kelly with a 22 fret ebony fingerboard and Kahler 2320.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dystrust
    I've been thinking about the custom guitar I'd like to order, and after much thought I'd like to acquire a korina Jackson Kelly with a 22 fret ebony fingerboard and Kahler 2320.

when's sunday???? i want to check out that damn kelly already!
    As I climb onto your back, I will promise not to sting
    I will tell you what you want to hear and not mean anything
    Then I treat you like a dog as I shoot my venom in
    You pretend you didn't know that I am a scorpion, ya!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ESP VS Jackson, damn that's one heck of a choice! I've always liked ESP because their necks feel like home sweet home for my hands, but Jackson USA have that consistent quality thing going on.

Let me tell you about my experience with Jackson USA necks: You have to find YOUR neck on the models. I've played a Custom Shop V with a Speed Neck, a San Dimas Rhoads with the round SD neck profile, a USA Dinky (very much alike a C-Shape) and a KE2. The Speed neck didn't feel speedy for me at all, it's thicker than my old Ibanez's, but my hand felt like it could handle more fat (neckwise ofcourse).

The San Dimas neck got close but was still too thin for my taste. The Dinky was fat but was a great guitar for speed riffs. The KE2 has been the neck I've been looking for since day 1. Not too fat (nice thin D-shape), not too thin, nice and wide. Never have I played such an extraordinary neck, and I'm glad to own it

My point is, if you're going to go with Jackson make sure you've played the necks, because they can either be just right or totally wrong for your hands
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm definitely going with a Soloist backshape when I order that Kelly. I have rather large hands, so the speed neck feels like a twig attached to a fingerboard. The Soloist neck is perfect for me, fat enough to feel like I'm actually holding something, and thin enough to still be fast. That compound radius fingerboard is also very hard to beat.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my jackson is sorta bottom line, but man, ive had it for about a yr, the thing plays great! pups r ok... but theyre just stock, the neck is really slim, but mines a lil neck heavy, but u cant tell when ur playin it, cuz ur holding it up to.. well u get it, mines just low end and is still pretty good
    Rig:
    ---Ibanez SZ520QM - light blue
    ---Peavey Bandit 112