Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clapton's Tone with Cream: Alnico 2 vs Alnico 5

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Clapton's Tone with Cream: Alnico 2 vs Alnico 5

Lew,
    here's the article I referred to which implies that Eric's Beano LP was a '60:
    Eric's Beano LP

here's some additional info:
    Eric's axes

In addition, Billy Gibbons was inspired to get an LP after hearing the Beano album:
    Pearly Gates
    Last edited by Curly; 11-18-2004 at 05:10 PM.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by Curly
    Lew,
    here's the article I referred to which implies that Eric's Beano LP was a '60:
    Eric's Beano LP

here's some additional info:
    Eric's axes

In addition, Billy Gibbons was inspired to get an LP after hearing the Beano album:
    Pearly Gates
    Excellant! I feel like I've learned answers to questions I've had for about thirty years because of this thread.

Many thanks to all who have participated.

Lew

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

eric clapton also used a dallas rangemaster treble booster on the beano album to drive his marshall. and according to tom holmes gibson also used alnico IVs when they made PAFs (57-60) , so clapton's LP might have alnico IVs too.

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by bryvincent
    eric clapton also used a dallas rangemaster treble booster on the beano album to drive his marshall. and according to tom holmes gibson also used alnico IVs when they made PAFs (57-60) , so clapton's LP might have alnico IVs too.
    I talked to Tom at length about that when I ordered the Holmes humbuckers for my own Les Paul Historic 59RI several years ago.

Tom told me that according to Billy Gibbons, Tom's alnico 2 humbucker was an exact replica in tone to the pickups in Billy's '59 Les Paul: Pearly Gates. Tom made alot of pickups for Billy's guitars.

Tom also told me that in his opinion, most of those 58 and 59 pafs used alnico 2 and in Billy G's opinion, alnico 2 gave the best tone.

I think you're right though and that Gibson did mix alnico 2 and 5 and possibly alnico 3 & 4. too. Lindy Fralin has also told me the same thing.

I have owned some Lindy Fralin alnico 4 humbuckers wound to vintage 8K Gibson specs....they don't sound like any of the 50's pafs I've owned and that would be about 10 or more.

So as near as I tell, I think all of the 50's paf pickups I have owned must have used alnico 2, because when I hear a Seth Lover or Antiquity or even an alnico 2 Burstbucker, I hear the tones I got from my old Les Pauls and my '58 ES-335.

Lew

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: Clapton's Tone with Cream: Alnico 2 vs Alnico 5

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar
    Yes. It was my first good electric guitar. Had the choice of a '64 Jaguar or '64 Strat. The Jaguar had more buttons and switches so I went for the Jaguar. Hated it!

The salesman tried to talk me into the Strat...I should have listened to him.

Lew
    Ya gotta watch those salesmen, eh?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar
    That got me thinking about the diff in Clapton's tone on FRESH CREAM vs. DISRALI GEARS.

Clapton used a late 50's Gibson Les Paul for FRESH CREAM and an early 60's Gibson SG for Disrali Gears.

To me, his tone is thicker on Fresh Cream and I wouldn't be surprised if those were alnico 2 pafs on that album...similar to Seth Lovers.

Lew
    Even though this thread is a year old, it's still worth bumping...it's a classic!
    I was listening to "Disraeli Gears" and "Fresh Cream" earlier today, and right now I am cranking the bootleg "Live at the Grande Ballroom". The tone EC squeezed out of the SG at this gig is the best I have ever heard. It's a complete contrast to what the SG sounds like on Disraeli Gears, which is a much thinner tone. Do you think the difference (since it's the same guitar) is the amps that he was using, or at least the volume?
    Also, Lew said he thought EC was using an LP on Fresh Cream with something similar to Seths. I'm wondering...do you think if I replaced the '59's in my SG with Seths that it's going to sound thicker, i.e. Fresh Cream?

Jonny

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey All! The DVD is availible at CD Universe and there is also a website with photos posted. Yep, Clapton is playing his same rig that he has been touring with for some time... Strat, Wah, (2) Low Power Twins and a Leslie that's it. I must say that I was disapointed that he didn't break out the Firebird I, SG, 335 or something like that... it would have been cool! Just for old times sake. It's fun to see them do BADGE with just the trio.
    "Play like a Champion"
    PRS David Grissom Stock,
    Marshall JTM45, Marshall 50 watt Plexi, Vox AC15,
    Custom 6V6 16 watt Dr. Z Remedy style Head
    Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSonnyblu?feature=mhee

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyblu
    Hey All! The DVD is availible at CD Universe and there is also a website with photos posted. Yep, Clapton is playing his same rig that he has been touring with for some time... Strat, Wah, (2) Low Power Twins and a Leslie that's it. I must say that I was disapointed that he didn't break out the Firebird I, SG, 335 or something like that... it would have been cool! Just for old times sake. It's fun to see them do BADGE with just the trio.
    Apparently they all tried to use some of the old equipment, and it "...didn't work for them." I guess after forty years of different equipment, its difficult to change. Even harder when you're a crusty old geezer!

Clapton did a SNL a while back and used the 335 for a couple of tunes. His tone was the best I've heard it in at least 20 years! Too bad that he couldn't have dragged that out for the gig.
    Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.