Thread: New Picksups in my Ibanez

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New Picksups in my Ibanez

So I have a Ibanez Art100 and it's in need of a better sound. I was looking at the APH-2s Alnico II Pro Slash set, but i think that might sound to bluesy for someone that likes to play Metallica. So any suggestions?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Picksups in my Ibanez

Are you saying you want to play metallica with this guitar? What kind of amp do you have.
    Oh balls...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by xfactormaster18 View Post
    So I have a Ibanez Art100 and it's in need of a better sound. I was looking at the APH-2s Alnico II Pro Slash set, but i think that might sound to bluesy for someone that likes to play Metallica. So any suggestions?
    yeah the apII's are not really meant for metallica
    you may like the distortion mayhem set for the ibanez to do metallica without going active blackouts

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I have a Marshall MG4 Series MG30FX

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I have a Marshall MG4 Series MG30FX
    I like the MG's they have plenty of gain. with that amp i recomend the Hot rod set or like a said before the mayhem set either will do metallica and other metal no prob. i prefer the JB/jazz hot rod set myself because it will do any style from ac/dc to metallica to jazz to country

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Save your money.

Not trying be a dbag, but the "upgraded" pickups will show lil benefit with that amp and guitar. A more noticeable "upgrade" will be purchasing a better amp. No pickup in the world will make it worth your while.

Invest in an amp. Save the $150-200 and invest in an amp. You seem like a heavier music fellow, get a Peavey 6505 combo or a lil Krank. New those are around $600. Used less.

Hell even a XXX. There's a few amps on the used market w/ a pedal will do a lot more than pickups.

If you are intent on pickups, A2Ps would work if you have a tube amp.
    Quote Originally Posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwalluk's music
    My Music Website

My Rig:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe (Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon (b) Pearly Gates (n)
    Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb 50 Series II Combo
    TC Electronics Nova System

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mwalluk View Post
    Save your money.

Not trying be a dbag, but the "upgraded" pickups will show lil benefit with that amp and guitar. A more noticeable "upgrade" will be purchasing a better amp. No pickup in the world will make it worth your while.

Invest in an amp. Save the $150-200 and invest in an amp. You seem like a heavier music fellow, get a Peavey 6505 combo or a lil Krank. New those are around $600. Used less.

Hell even a XXX. There's a few amps on the used market w/ a pedal will do a lot more than pickups.

I am quoting this because I agree with mwalluk. You might want to get a new amp. You might find yourself happy with your sound at that point and not really need any different pickups.
    Oh balls...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't know where you're from, but if it's in the States Craigslist and even Ebay can be a Godsend. Also local stores. Realistically give us a budget if possible, we'll find your your tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwalluk's music
    My Music Website

My Rig:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe (Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon (b) Pearly Gates (n)
    Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb 50 Series II Combo
    TC Electronics Nova System

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

no love for the marshall MG here? I love em! i guess it is how you set them cause i get a great tone out of mine. i use it for jammin with my buds. it is not my main amp but i do think the MG's are just fine for jammin out some VH on the go.

this guy uses the MG for every clip posted

http://www.youtube.com/user/SATSUMA3042
    Last edited by Ed Hunter; 04-18-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mwalluk View Post
    Save your money.

Yeah, with this I concur. You can spend $150+ upgrading your pickups or $200-250 getting a semi-decent tube combo. I think Bugera makes stuff around that price range. That would improve your sound a great deal more.

Then it's also harder to tell how different pickups sound through a solid state amp. Tube amps expose a lot more of the natural sound of the guitar wood and pickups so changing pickups and still playing through solid state isn't going to do a whole lot in my opinion.
    Good trades with: Dominus, Jackson Distortion, Richard, DWVINKY, Notesfeld, Inhuman, Brunogio, SFW, Jolly, Darthphineas,Crane, SrDeMaFp...

There is nothing on this earth sexier, believe me, gentlemen, than a woman you have to salute in the morning.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not looking for some great upgrade to have this awesome sounding guitar I'm just looking for something a little better. My Jackson JS32T sounds great especially on my MG, but i like playing my Ibanez more. So if a Distortion Mayhem and a SH-2n Jazz can give me that little extra I'm good. Especially since I'm more into drumming right now i don't want to spend 3-5 hundred on an amp when I'd rather spend that on cymbals >_<
    Last edited by xfactormaster18; 04-18-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not looking for some great upgrade to have this awesome sounding guitar I'm just looking for something a little better. My Jackson JS32T sounds great especially on my MG, but i like playing Ibanez more. So if a Distortion Mayhem and a SH-2n Jazz can give me that little extra I'm good. Especially since I'm more into drumming right now i don't want to spend a 3-5 hundred on an amp when I'd rather spend that on cymbals >_<
    honestly i would just get a used distortion or JB and a jazz neck off the trading post here.
    your looking at maybe $80-90 for the set.
    my bro j'lagrassa had a like new set posted for $90 recently.
    I have a dimarzio set for sale over there real cheap check here frequently and you will get something
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/f...daysprune=&f=7
    Last edited by Ed Hunter; 04-18-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hunter View Post
    no love for the marshall MG here? I love em! i guess it is how you set them cause i get a great tone out of mine. i use it for jammin with my buds. it is not my main amp but i do think the MG's are just fine for jammin out some VH on the go.

this guy uses the MG for every clip posted

http://www.youtube.com/user/SATSUMA3042
    Damn, that guy kicks major ass.

Ultimate Tone Member zakk_speed's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree on the amp comments - however i own that guitar so maybe I can give you some ideas. Its basically an SG type sound - mahogany body/neck, rosewood board, fixed bridge, 24.75 scale. The stock pickups are 3 conductor ceramics and are pretty hot if a little sterile. Ibanez fits active electronics to all the higher models in the ART range, so that gives you an idea on what might work well.

I currently have the Duncan Mayhem set (SH-6 Bridge and Neck) in that guitar, and it kills for the heavy stuff, cuts through really well. However I'm going to add a BMP-1 Blackouts pre-amp to it (when it arrives) and play with other lower output pickups....this guitar does not have a battery compartment so we'll have to see how well that works.

If you have a look at the many threads on what works in an SG you'll get pretty close, I did have a 59 neck in it but found it a bit boomy, perhaps due to it being a single cut, so I would not put that one in there again.

Custom-5/Pearly Gates Neck is a very popular recommendation for SG type guitars that will cover a range of syles and is very tweak-able with magnet swapping.

HTH
    "that’s what is so good about the guitar — everyone can really enjoy themselves on it and have a good time, which is what it’s all about. Right?”

Jimmy Page