Thread: Jazz on a Tele

Suburbs of beautiful, downtown Deatonville, VA
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Jazz on a Tele

So NGD as well, used MIM Standard Tele, and want a jazz sound from it. I've looked at the Lollar CC and they do sound dreamy. Would anyone care to share any other experiences with the CC's or another type that would give a similar tone? I do have an SD APTR-1/APTL-1 in another Tele that I could try in this new one, but the tone now is not exactly what I'm looking for. All this through a Peavey DB.

Thanks.

Rich
    Last edited by richinva; 05-09-2011 at 02:55 AM.
    Many people die with their music still in them. Why is this so? Too often it is because they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it, time runs out. ---Oliver Wendell Holmes

....... There are no destinations to reach on the musical journey, and therefore, there is no place you should be by now.--jandrew, AGF

Mojo's Minions
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Jazz on a Tele

I'm assuming this is a neck posi you're trying for.

Pearly Gates. Has a nice hollow tone
    Jazz neck (obviously). Has a bit more punch
    A2pro - a bit more mellow

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jazz bridge w/A4 magnet.

/thread
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Howdy,

Jazz on a Tele? I'm sure it's "do-able", especially through something like a Dual Showman with that sealed back cab for extra thick tone. I talking about a stock Tele, nevermind one with a neck 'bucker.

Ultimate Tone Member TeleLubber's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jazz would sound good, so would a '59n

Lollars are awesome, I've never heard the CC, I have no doubt it would sound sweet

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GE Smith gets a pretty good jazz sound on his telecaster.

Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    yea, they [ Fender Bassman] do sound like a mess, don't they. It's like a blind date with a shaggy hippy girl with a poochy belly, but then you get a hot oil massage from her and all of a sudden you're doing tantric prayer all night and asking her to move in with you.

Canadian in the UK, like Maple Syrup in Tea.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What kind of a jazz sound are you looking for? It can be done, easily, on a stock tele. I bring a tele to most of my jazz gigs rather than my hollowbody. One of my biggest inspirations of course is tele user Ed Bickert (with a stock single coil tele):

One of the warmest, most beautiful sounds I've heard, its all about rolling the tone knob down and having the right 'touch'. And low output humbucker would also work wonders for it. I've heard good things from the 'Jazz' humbucker, Lollar Imperials, and the Dimarzio 36th anniversary paf. The below video is just 'an old gibson humbucker' that hes unsure of. Sounds amazing though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlTheBird View Post
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ordered the Lollar CC's yesterday, and if I can get close to this sound, I'll be happy.........

Thanks for your help, will keep you posted on the CC's, if you're interested.......

Rich

Many people die with their music still in them. Why is this so? Too often it is because they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it, time runs out. ---Oliver Wendell Holmes

....... There are no destinations to reach on the musical journey, and therefore, there is no place you should be by now.--jandrew, AGF

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I received the Lollar CC pickup, installed it in one of my Tele's, and did a neck switchout at the same time. Beautiful sounds be coming from my Tele now, and my pedals have gotten new life. The best descriptive words I can come up with are creamy, dreamy, well enunciated. The Tele twang is gone from the neck pup, but still there on the other 3 positions. Just the sound I was looking for. Still playing with amp settings, but my other guitars are already quite jealous........

It does crunch nicely as well, seems to be a great all-around pickup. Well pleased is an understatement.

Thanks to Tim Lerch for the steer, and to Lollar Guitars for a great product.

Rich