Thread: Acoustic (GrandAuditorium) gigbag + humidifier advise?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Acoustic (GrandAuditorium) gigbag + humidifier advise?

Well I already have one all solid-wood guitar which went bad due to lack of humidity in my apartment this winter, and it's not something I want to put my Taylor through. I'd also need a decent gigbag but I have no idea what's out there (choice is very limited in Luxembourg and Europe).

What would y'all advise as a good humidifier (not going to keep it cheap, I just want ease of use and efficiency) and gigbag?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Acoustic (GrandAuditorium) gigbag + humidifier advise?

Don't know about the humidifier, but Reunion Blues makes the best gigbags, IMO.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They do look very well made but they have absolutely no models that I could get that are within my price range... :| I'd justify it if I gigged our even took my guitars out more often but as it is... no way

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Humidity... or the lack of is a major concern. I would also recommend a case not a gig bag. Its a Taylor and it belongs in a case. Gig bags offer very little protection and certainly don't keep the humidity in very well. Here is what you can do. If you keep your guitar on a stand then a room humidifier. You should understand the cubic space that you need to humidify & buy an appropriate sized machine. I have two in my rehearsal room and during the winter I can fill them every day. Both machines are running almost non stop & I fill them in the morning as well as check/fill them at night. In Winter the humidity will drop without these to about 20%. It is a struggle to keep the Humidity to 45%. My larger machine holds about 2 gallons of water and my smaller machine holds about a gallon.

Now if you keep your guitar in its case(strongly recommended. Its the safest place to keep it) then you can buy a Dampit style type of device. I use a few different ones but they need to be checked at least 2X per week. If you use a dampit (its a long sponge that slide into the guitar) I don't feel that this adds enough humidity to the guitar so I actually keep a travel soap dish with a sponge in it under the headstock. in the case also. I have also added a hygrometer in each case so I can monitor the amount of humidity that the guitar is exposed to. If you have one or two guitar this may be a better approach then the room humidifiers. The problem with the machines is they run all the time & they can be noisy so if you watch TV in the same room it can be a problem. These are just some of the case Humidifiers available.
    http://store.daddario.com/category/1...&currency_id=1
    For a room Humidifier you can expect to pay about $100.00 or so depending on how large of an area you will need to control.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Situation is as follows: I have a one room appartment with 8 guitars in it. I heat up quite a lot during the winter.

I have a case for the Taylor (sold with one) but it lives on its stand, because I play it every single day. I wouldn't even think of keeping her in its case, a guitar is meant to be played. So I'm guessing room humidifier then eh..?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes... you need to determine how large of a humidifier you will need. This will be based on the cubic space available. For example my room that I store my electric guitar in is about 400 square feet. When I bought my unit I was persistent in making sure that the unit was going to be big enough to give proper humidity for that sized room. You want to listen to them run because some of the machines fans are loud & can interfere with being able to hear when you are playing an acoustic guitar. If you can find one that pumps the moisture into the air but is not too loud at the same time.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's not as good for me as I live/sleep in the same room. Anything adding noise to it especially at night is a no...

So no room humidifier AND no keeping the guitar in case... I'm shooting myself in the foot right?