Thread: How does the wind effect magnetic string pull?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How does the wind effect magnetic string pull?

I have a pretty good understanding of electronics, but I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of a wind changing the magnetic strength.

I'm assuming that the more winds on a bobbin, the stronger it is as an electromagnet. Is this right?

One thing I like about lower output pickups is the fact that the strings vibrate like an acoustic, and the sustain is much better. But vintage pickups have the same pole pieces and magnet, so it's got to be the hotter wind, right? Hotter pickups create more pull on the strings, diminishing their movement.

Discuss.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How does the wind effect magnetic string pull?

i dont think the winds diminsh the sustain necessarily because a hotter sound will drive your amp more. I think amps in a sweet spot have more sustain than amps set to just one, which i think can club even a good sustaining string to death. jj

The power of the magnet affects the vibration because of the pull that a stronger magnet can have on the width of strings vibration, thus its sweetness in tone, and perhaps the winds boost that, but i was drawing KiSS on a flaming stage in my notebook that day in Physics class.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wind does not directly affect string pull. [They are performing as electromagnetic pickups. If they were being used to generate magnetic fields from electricty rather than the reverse, the signal would come from the amp, not the guitar!]

However, you may put a pickup with low output windings closer to the strings for volume reasons, which would of course increase string pull from the polepieces.

Old pickups varied pretty widely in pickup magnets used. Change suppliers, alloys and magnet performance change. Also could wind up with batches not fully charged.

Many believe the difference in older guitars is more in the wood, finish and craftsmanship than pickups. Hard to prove, as collectors wont risk damaging the value of their antiques, if they get played at all.

Sustain tends to be better on hotter winds. If the pickup output comes from stronger magnet, then that's a whole different issue...

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

also it depends on if this wind is blowing south to north, or north to south. Cuz the wind will negate the effects altitude has on your tone. I would argue that the Dixie region has better guitar tones than Sweden cuz the distance from magnetic north is greater, but the Swedes with high caliber technique have a God of wind that blows their sails-

On they sweep-pick, with thrash and 'core,

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Copper is non-ferrous, so it is not attracted to magnets. If you take a magnet and pile some small ferrous materials around it, they stick together because the magnetic bands permeate them, and they work together to expand the magnetic field. Leave them together long enough, and the whole ball of junk is one big magnet, able to pick up other ferrous items.

Such is not the case with the copper coil wire of a pickup, because it is non-ferrous.

Hotter winds don't expand the magnetic field, and thus have no effect on string pull. What hotter winds do is allow the electronic impulses that flow through the wires to cascade in a more powerful flow than lower winds.

This is proven easily enough with the Custom series.
    While they all 3 have a similar DC resistance, the strength of the magnet changes the inductance value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Note View Post
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had **** and was on fire!
    My Blog

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the wind does not effect string pull as far as i know

Questionologist
    NORTH HOLLYWOOD (talk to me, So Cal members!)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm with Jeremy.
    In 1861 as Confederate forces were about to fire on Fort Sumter, the Blue and Gray had far more in common than the blue and red today. What fellowship can "the truth shall set you free" ever have with "what is truth"? Barring a major epidemic or nuclear attack to explode the postmodern myth that the reality outside our heads depends for its very existence on what we think of it, secession is coming...

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The coil material is not magnetic and doesn't magnify or distribute the magnetic field. A pickup works like a generator. In a generator the magnet spins creating voltage in the copper coil that surrounds it and in a pickup the magnet senses the vibration of the string which produces voltage in the coil.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 05-27-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    the wind does not effect string pull as far as i know
    +1

I was like... what's going on? Did I miss something this important all this time...

Anyways, as far as I know the wind does not have anything to do with the string pull. The slugs or screws do, yet not the wind.

B

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anything less that about a 40 mph gust should be imperceivable. As you start to get up to tropical storm & hurricane levels you may notice more feedback.
    Donnie
    ---------
    VVT Raptor 60W

Ultimate Tone Member copperheadroads's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree wind not effect string pull....

Ultimate Tone Slacker IanBallard's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You won't increase the gauss of a magnet with more wire. It's the signal fed into the amplifier that is most affected by that.

A pickup, technically, is not an electromagnet. It is a generator. A permanent magnet surrounded by coils that are "agitated" by magnetized strings in motion, generates a signal.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    I have a pretty good understanding of electronics, but I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of a wind changing the magnetic strength.

I'm assuming that the more winds on a bobbin, the stronger it is as an electromagnet. Is this right?

One thing I like about lower output pickups is the fact that the strings vibrate like an acoustic, and the sustain is much better. But vintage pickups have the same pole pieces and magnet, so it's got to be the hotter wind, right? Hotter pickups create more pull on the strings, diminishing their movement.

Discuss.
    The only thing that creates string pull is the magnet itself. This is specially true in Strat p'ups, which every string has its own magnet placed directly under every string, that when placed too close, cause what's known as "Stratitis" or "Ghostnotes".

In the case of a HB p'up, the relatively far away placement of the magnet from the strings prevents it to happen.

HTH,
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Honestly, I thought this post was a joke until I read further. Aha, WIND or wind! So many bedroom warriors (like myself) obsessing over filister screws, ebony vs. rosewood boards, pushback wire vs. poly, tuner mass, etc. It gets a little crazy sometimes. I often have to remind myself to just PLAY, man, just play...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the things that effect string pull are,
    pole piece style,size
    magnet size/strength
    and the distance the pup is set at ,but the winds have nothing to do with string pull.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the input guys. This was one topic I never fully grasped, and I don't remember seeing it posted before.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.