Thread: what pickup is this

Ultimate Tone Slacker metalmachine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default what pickup is this

tight and agressive. powerful low end. strong low mids balanced uppermids. good amount of highs. more to the open side than compressed. needs to be artiulate under gain. cleans do not mater only high gain and mild overdrive. does this sound like the sh-5? or any other pup.
    i am wanting somthing like this description.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: what pickup is this

Good luck finding something that tight, aggressive, and focused and also sounding non-compressed. Doesn't happen with high gain pups.

The SH5 fits most of those descriptors, but it does have some compression- as does the SH6.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well i know there will be some compression. i guess i mean not like invader compressed. more like 500t compressed

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TB-5 Custom sounds closer. Sounds even more open with A8. But might not have as much high end as you want. A8 is slightly less tight, but still quite far from loose.

IIRC, the 500T is fairly similar to a Custom, only hairier high end and grainier mids. [I might be thinking of another Gibson, possibly with mag-swap to ceramic. Sorry, been a while since I messed with those.]

PATB-1b is articulate, quite open and high output. Slow attack, but oddly uncompressed feel. Extremely dynamic. Probably not quite tight enough, though, if you are used to ceramic punch.
    Last edited by Despair; 07-18-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i love the 500t in my explorer. that is the tone i love. but this is for my jackson sl-1. that guitar acousticly is tight with a lot of uppermids not a lot of low mids. i have a alt 8 in it now and i think it is a great pup i have sang its praises a lot around here but the mids are starting to get to me a bit.

i dunno what do you think the 500t would sound like in a maple neck through. i was basicly trying to decribe what i think i need to get this guitar closer to my explorers sound. ( i know it will never be exact becuase those guitars come from 2 diffrent planets). i may be way off on what i need though.

so lets try again.... i want my soloist to sound simular not exact to my explorer
    Last edited by metalmachine; 07-18-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

maybe i am asking for way to much

Ultimate Tone Slacker Franknfilms's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok I'm now allowed to say this since I just installed today...custom 8 with hex screws. The custom is almost what you're looking for but pretty compressed with piercing highs and slight scoop in eq. The custom 8 opens it up very well and injects thumping low mids, but now you're hurting for treble. The hex screws add back some brilliant treble detail and you're good to go.
    1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard: Tim Shaw's
    Frankencaster: SM-3n Seymourized Mini, Norton
    Schecter C1+: 59n, Custom UOA5, Triple Shots
    Cruise Strat: EMG 58
    Peavey XXX 40efx head
    Egnater Tweaker 15
    Genz-Benz Tribal 2x12 cab, Eminence Private Jacks
    Crybaby, Earthquaker Tone Reaper, MXR Classic OD, Boss SD-1 keeley stacked, Hardwire Tuner, Ditto Delay, Hardwire RV-5

Ultimate Tone Slacker Franknfilms's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also, something in the parallel axis line would probably accomplish the same thing stock, as all of the that custom tweaking I did.
    1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard: Tim Shaw's
    Frankencaster: SM-3n Seymourized Mini, Norton
    Schecter C1+: 59n, Custom UOA5, Triple Shots
    Cruise Strat: EMG 58
    Peavey XXX 40efx head
    Egnater Tweaker 15
    Genz-Benz Tribal 2x12 cab, Eminence Private Jacks
    Crybaby, Earthquaker Tone Reaper, MXR Classic OD, Boss SD-1 keeley stacked, Hardwire Tuner, Ditto Delay, Hardwire RV-5

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Custom in mahonany is a great ceramic. I've heard it in a (Vigier, IIRC) maple neck-through, and it was odd. Ridiculous high end, but without the presence rasp of most ceramics. Neat for harmonics, but way too bright for my tastes.

Custom 8 would probably be awesome. Mids are a lot less overbearing than Alternative 8. Maple should give it the high end and snap some people miss when swapping from the ceramic in other woods.

But since C8 is a mag swap anyways, you might start with Custom and see if it works.

I've only heard the Gibson ceramics in mahogany bodies (sometimes with maple neck and/or top, but still, very different beast from a maple neck-through). Not really sure, depends on how the highs line up. Could be cool, could be ugly harsh.