Thread: JB jr - Treble

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default JB jr - Treble

I want to roll back the treble a bit on my Strat's bridge pickup - a JB jr. I have the Everything Axe setup with standard wiring as per this website.

I have been told that I can put a 0.005uf capacitor across the bridge and middle pickup tabs on my selector switch. This will allow me to control both Bridge and Middle pickups from one tone pot. Also the capacitor will allow me to role off the highs, whilst keeping the mids and lows relatively unaltered.

Is this a good way to role of the highs of the JB jr. If it is, then does it matter what voltage the capacitor is rated for. Will a 0.005uf 400v be ok. There are thousands on ebay from 15v to 1000v. Totally lost

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: JB jr - Treble

I hate to hear the JR jr. is too trebbly. I was going to get the Everything Axe but I called SD and a very helpful guy listened to what I was looking for.....something less trebbly and suggested I get the JR jr. for the bridge and the Alnico II for the mid and neck. They're on the way so I'll find out. I have heard good things from on some strat forums about the Everything Axe.
    You've already guessed by now that I've not been helpful, only depressed upon hearing your thoughts on the JR jr. Like you, I'm lost as to your question.

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can change the value of the capacitor for the tone control but it really only works when you have the tone control on. Adding a tone control bleeds a little treble to ground when not in use, but with the tone control at 0 a different capacitor isn't going to change much. What value pots are you using?

The JB Jr is bright and thin. What value pots are you using? If you are looking for JB sound in a mini-humbucker size the Dimarzio Fastrack II is a dead ringer.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 07-20-2011 at 01:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    That plane went down like a Kardashian at a NAACP convention.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Beerman - tone is so subjective. This is my first Strat. I have 4 guitars which are all twin humbuckers. I am happy with the JB jr but sometimes i would just like to dull the treble a bit - make it a more versatile guitar for me. I amsure you will love the JB jr

idsnowdog - i have the seymourduncan advised setup for the everything axe. 250 pots and .047uf cap. Tone controls set for middle and for neck - no bridge

Somebody sent me this pic for how to connect up the bridge pickup so you can roll of the treble

Just want to know if this is the best option
    Last edited by yetikeeper; 07-21-2011 at 05:31 AM.