Thread: Can I put two pickups into one pickup cover?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Can I put two pickups into one pickup cover?

So I have a Tele Deluxe 72 RI (example) and I want to have the option of single coil and humbucking sounds from both pickups, but the stock pickups sound pretty bad split (tried both the hot and slug coils) and the drop in output when splitting them makes it just about unusable live. But I don't want to just put different humbuckers in it, because I want to retain the original look of the guitar.

So my idea is to take the pickups out of the covers, and put a regular single coil (not sure what kind yet) and a Hot Rails or a Little '59 into each of the covers, with the humbuckers set a little lower to compensate for the higher output. That way I could switch between real humbucking and single coil sounds and not lose volume/gain. Plus because these have 4 height adjustment screws, I could adjust each side of the pickups individually to fine tune them.

Does anyone with some experience with this kind of thing see any problems that I might run into?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Can I put two pickups into one pickup cover?

stag mag will do what you want sonically but obviously its gonna look different.
    Why dont you talk to the custom shop and get them to wind you a pickup that will look right and sound right for you too?
    Its not cheap i guess, but you'll get exactly what you want

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have mounted single coil sized pickups back to back successfully in a humbucker pickguard. Designs without lips work better so you don't need to mount the pickups back to back. However you won't be able to fit both pickup under a stock cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    That plane went down like a Kardashian at a NAACP convention.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by idsnowdog View Post
    I have mounted single coil sized pickups back to back successfully in a humbucker pickguard. Designs without lips work better so you don't need to mount the pickups back to back. However you won't be able to fit both pickup under a stock cover.
    even in an oversized humbucker cover, like these wide range reissues?

Ultimate Tone Member post toastie's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the Wide Range cover is larger than a standard humbucker. it just might work.

John Fogerty had a similar set up. if you can find the 1985 John Fogerty cover Guitar Player Magazine he speaks on it. it is featured on the cover. he also had one or two with 3 single coils back to back. the weren't under covers though. they were regular Strat pickups wired to humbucking mode.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you check ESP Japan website you'll see their signature artist Aoi from The Gazette have similar setup in his guitars,only his aren't covered.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IMO, the neatest way to get a hybrid of "single coil" and "humbucker" tones from a pickup the size of a Fender Wide Range humbucker is to fit an original American Fender WR or a good modern copy.

INTENSELY corrosive sweat formula73's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    IMO, the neatest way to get a hybrid of "single coil" and "humbucker" tones from a pickup the size of a Fender Wide Range humbucker is to fit an original American Fender WR or a good modern copy.
    The only copies I can think of are the Rio Grandes, which I've been wanting to try since they came out. I just don't have a guitar for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    the Les Paul is the ultimate electric guitar.
    i know that's a pretty heavy statement to make and a bunch of dudes that love Teles and shredsticks are gona argue with me, but they're wrong.
    anything you can't do on a Les Paul is because you haven't practiced enough or you don't rock hard enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post
    You put the "pow" in "power bottom."
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    *Thumpety Thump Thump Thump...WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP"