Thread: First time messing with magnets, need ya'lls help.

Third Stone From the Sun, in the Land of Oz.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default First time messing with magnets, need ya'lls help.

Well folks, I here a lot on the forum about magnet swapping, and changing one quality of pole for another. I have a few PU's I pulled out of my MIM Strat and for $h!t's -n- giggles I wanted to put in these Alinco V mags I had left over from a vintage noiseless that went microphonic on me. Now I was under the impression that you don't want to disturb the poles from their waxed set in. Please educate me on this subject, but remember I am a beginner. Thanks Bro's.
    Last edited by house; 09-10-2011 at 05:17 AM.
    "The grass maybe greener on the other side, but you still have to mow the M@$ha F#*ka..."

"HOUSE OUT!"

Varg

Default Re: First time messing with magnets, need ya'lls help.

Is this single coils?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you talking about SSS, or HSS? The "vintage noiseless" pups are single coils and the mag swapping that you "here" (sic) about on this forum is in regards to the mags in hummers. If your guitar is HSS and you are referring to the humbucker pup, then have fun with the mag swap. Don't worry about the pole pieces.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Varg View Post
    Is this single coils?
    Oh sorry, my fault. I'm using single coils.

The one with the cover is the crappy stock pickup.
    "The grass maybe greener on the other side, but you still have to mow the M@$ha F#*ka..."

"HOUSE OUT!"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

People generally don't swap mags in single coils. It's an easy way to destroy a pickup.

the stock MIM pickup is also a different design... it's a ceramic magnet glued to the bottom of steel poles which become temporary magnets.

That's the problem with people always suggesting that pickups be modded... it's too easy for someone to not get the whole idea explained to them, and then people mistakenly get ahead of themselves.

You're much better off finding the right single coil with the right sound in an existing product.
    ----
    My gear:
    Arisa, Fender American Standard Stratocaster
    Kureha, Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster

Orange OR15 head w/ Vox 112NT cab
    Fender Champion 20

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FuseG4 View Post
    People generally don't swap mags in single coils. It's an easy way to destroy a pickup.

the stock MIM pickup is also a different design... it's a ceramic magnet glued to the bottom of steel poles which become temporary magnets.

That's the problem with people always suggesting that pickups be modded... it's too easy for someone to not get the whole idea explained to them, and then people mistakenly get ahead of themselves.

You're much better off finding the right single coil with the right sound in an existing product.
    Thanks Bro, now I know. So when ever I here about these guys on the forum switching out magnets they are talking about hummers. Got it, Peace...

"HOUSE OUT!"

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not necessarily, House. Some folks do swap mags on those. I wouldn't pull the mags out of the Noiseless, if they've just gone microphonic. They can be repotted pretty easily & some people like those pups. If your MIM's have a plastic bobbin(which they likely do), though, it isn't hard to tap out the steel poles & yank the ceramic mag off the bottom. Then, get some alnico rods from Addiction FX, and tap them back in. You will have to take note of polarity when you do it. They will sound far more like a traditional Strat pickup.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by house View Post
    Well folks, I here a lot on the forum about magnet swapping, and changing one quality of pole for another. I have a few PU's I pulled out of my MIM Strat and for $h!t's -n- giggles I wanted to put in these Alinco V mags I had left over from a vintage noiseless that went microphonic on me. Now I was under the impression that you don't want to disturb the poles from their waxed set in. Please educate me on this subject, but remember I am a beginner. Thanks Bro's.
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...52&postcount=1
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy