Thread: EQ Pedal to change pickup attack

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default EQ Pedal to change pickup attack

I have a Korina PRS that sounds and plays great, it's my #1 guitar right now, but sometimes I want it to have the quick attack that my Jackson Soloist has for tapping, rather than the kinda spongy vintage tone it currently has.

My question- will an EQ, like an MXR 10 band, before the amp, be able to change the attack of the guitar without changing the pickups to possibly actives?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: EQ Pedal to change pickup attack

NOTHING electronic can change the speed of attack in the faster sense... it can only be slowed down. "Maximum Attack speed" is definied purely by the instrument´s physical construction, by far the most important factor being the neck joint..

From fastest (most responsive) to slowest:

Bolt on /In
    Neck Thru
    Set neck /Set thru

The more glue and air you have between neck and body, the slower the attack.

The only reason neckthrus are appreciably faster than set necks is because the neck runs straight through to the pickups and bridge and ends at the butt end.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The EQ may improve the tone, but ptobably won't affect the attack. Besides, I find that the EQ works best in the effects loop of the amp.

The MXR is a really great EQ by the way.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Part of this question revolves around the bridge types. The double locking vibrato of the Jackson adds a metallic edge that a wrapover fixed bridge cannot. Conversely, the wrapover adds a "bloom" to notes that no vibrato can match.

Vive la difference.
    Esperanza Spalding - "You have to have something to say; chops don't matter. If you have nothing to say on your instrument, I'll just go home and listen to albums with people better than you."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Part of this question revolves around the bridge types. The double locking vibrato of the Jackson adds a metallic edge that a wrapover fixed bridge cannot. Conversely, the wrapover adds a "bloom" to notes that no vibrato can match.

Vive la difference.
    IIRC his soloist is a TOM style hardtail
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

atrumluminarium

The more "stuff" ("onboard" knobs, effect pedals, etc.) you have, there is a bit more rezistance to the signal.

-You should try and bypass all the unused knobs and try leaving just a master tone and master volume (if you can get rid of less, the better ).

-When it comes to pedals, try to use as few as possible. For example you can get rid of the distortion pedal and use the amp's overdrive (not much of a problem if you own a fender, marshall or peavy ).

-Try to buy the "essential pedals" (like Wah, Phaser, Chorus, etc.) with the smallest amount of controls too. (ex. for a phaser; depth, frequency and level are enough)

-An other thing that many people take for granted, is the jack. be sure to clean the metal parts with a cloth that is used to clean the lenses of spectacles, and an ear-bud to clean the socket in the guitar and amp (be careful that you don't drop it in ).

-Getting a thicker string gauge (for example a 0.10 instead of 0.09) can reduce the string's "slackyness". It'll only take about a week to get used to 'em but it's worthit.

Those are a few basic steps to improve your response from the pickups to the amp.

Hope I helped

BTW setting the EQ to high treble can make the notes sound more seperate while a high bass makes them sound a little bit more muddy or creamy but like I said try not using EQ pedals; use the amp's
    Last edited by atrumluminarium; 09-14-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys. Just saved me money off buying an EQ for the front end of the amp!

I have an MXR 10 band in the effects loop and it kills.

I just noticed the PRS Korina has a big round tone, whereas the Jackson Soloist with the Floyd has a laser/precision type tone better for metal. An example is hammer on part to the main verse in Metallica's Creeping Death. The hammer ons sound mushy and hidden on the PRS, sound clear on the Jackson, but the overall tone is nicer on the PRS. So it's hard to get a compromise

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by atrumluminarium View Post
    -Getting a thicker string gauge (for example a 0.10 instead of 0.09) can reduce the string's "slackyness". It'll only take about a week to get used to 'em but it's worthit.

BTW setting the EQ to high treble can make the notes sound more seperate while a high bass makes them sound a little bit more muddy or creamy
    I think this is the only part of the post I agree with. The rest is hogwash, at least as far as I can tell.

I disliked the attack when I had a Distortion in my Les Paul. It was too immediate, and too in-your-face all the time. I'm also a ham-fisted hack, but that's beside the point. We're talking about things in relation to where you are now.

When I switched to Alnico 8, I heard a little slower attack, and when I switched to Alnico 5, I heard a little slower attack than that. Switching to the Custom 8 improved things a bit as well. But they were all minor, and they may have just been in my head.

The only thing I can say for sure is switching down from 11s to 10s. I think the string is moving further because the same force is encountering less mass. So it's swinging further out away from the center, where the highest amount of signal is being transferred. At least that's my thinking. A lighter gauge should decrease pick attack, and a heavier gauge should do the opposite.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

werd - neck thru, dense wood, pickup direct to output is as fast as it will get.

It's all down hill from there...
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jmh151 View Post
    Thanks guys. Just saved me money off buying an EQ for the front end of the amp!

I have an MXR 10 band in the effects loop and it kills.

I just noticed the PRS Korina has a big round tone, whereas the Jackson Soloist with the Floyd has a laser/precision type tone better for metal. An example is hammer on part to the main verse in Metallica's Creeping Death. The hammer ons sound mushy and hidden on the PRS, sound clear on the Jackson, but the overall tone is nicer on the PRS. So it's hard to get a compromise
    If you have an EQ pedal already, try running it before the amp (like you would an overdrive) and start removing low frequency sliders and that should give you a bit clearer cut. Won't perform miracles but let me know how you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    When I have a craving to for an acoustic sound, i go outside and punch a tree until my fists are bloody then plug in my SG and rock out like a man!!
    My band:

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation