Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 87

Thread: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

  1. #1
    Riffologist Extraordinaire ex-250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,976
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    254

    Default Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    I figured I'd make a whole new thread for everyone to put their reviews in, so people are sifting through 5 pages of the original planning thread to get to them, or having to find a bunch of individually posted ones scattered all about.

    First, the clips:

    Vintage Strat block
    Installed in an MIJ Fender Strat, stock pickups.

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3444936/StratTremblocktest.mp3

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3444936/Stra...ktestClean.mp3


    Floyd Rose block
    Installed in an LTD Alexi-600, Seymour Duncan PATB1 pickup.

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3444936/LaihoVTremblocktest.mp3

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3444936/Laih...ktestclean.mp3


    (all clips are stock block first, Killer block second)


    Review:

    I could do them individually, but my review for both are pretty similar. As far as appearance, construction, aesthetics, etc. both look very nice, have a nice solid feel to them, and are well-made as far as I can tell by my short time with them. Putting the Killer block in one hand and the stock block (from either of my guitars) in the other, the difference was ridiculous. It felt like the stock blocks weren't even there. As far as installation goes, the only differences were inherent to the type of bridge being used. The vintage strat block was a quick and easy change. The floyd block was an overwhelming pain in the ass, but thats just because its a floyd. Nothing to do with the block itself. One tangible difference is that the Killer floyd blocks have spring retainer bars, an additional bar of brass that gets screwed over top the ends of your springs. I think thats a terrific idea. More mass, more contact. Can't hurt. Last thing to mention installation-wise is that both Killer blocks have dramatically deeper screws going through the bridge into the block. I'd say roughy double the stock block/screws. This is also a nice feature; more secure, more contact.

    Once the blocks were on and the guitars were ready to play, I could definitely feel the difference. Unplugged, I definitely felt more vibration moving through the guitar, and you could hear the acoustic sound more loudly as well. Thats not to say it was fixed bridge resonance. It still felt and sounded like a trem-equipped guitar, just amped up. Plugged in, I anticipated that these new blocks would make the guitars sound thicker, fatter, heavier. You can definitely hear the difference, check the clips for example, but I don't feel that they became thicker. Instead, the new blocks made each guitar sound punchier, cleaner, more articulate and with more bell-like qualities. In stylistic terms, I lost some chugga-chugga and gained more pretty. The strat really benefits from this, as the stereotypical chimeyness of a strat is brought out even more. That bell-like ringing and clean articulation made my strat strattier.

    After the block lotto is over, and if I come up empty handed, I'd definitely think about buying a block for my strat. I can really describe it no better than "making a strat strattier." For the floyd block, I feel like the benefits of the new block were definitely present and I think it sounded really good in person, but at least in recording I feel it sounded less-suited towards chugga chugga metal. Though those recordings are guitar-only...in a mix, the Killer block would most likely stand out more. I wish I had thought of that earlier...damn. I'd also love to compare it through a real amp, but unfortunately due to time constraints I only got to play through a modeling practice amp and the recordings were all POD.

    All in all I was very pleased with both blocks, and HUGE thank you to Killer Guitar Components for giving all of us this opportunity.
    Last edited by ex-250; 09-16-2011 at 07:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

  2. #2
    Member killerguitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gloucester, MA
    Posts
    49
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ex-250 View Post
    I figured I'd make a whole new thread for everyone to put their reviews in, so people are sifting through 5 pages of the original planning thread to get to them, or having to find a bunch of individually posted ones scattered all about.

    First, the clips:

    Vintage Strat block
    Installed in an MIJ Fender Strat, stock pickups.

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3444936/StratTremblocktest.mp3

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3444936/Stra...ktestClean.mp3


    Floyd Rose block
    Installed in an LTD Alexi-600, Seymour Duncan PATB1 pickup.

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3444936/LaihoVTremblocktest.mp3

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3444936/Laih...ktestclean.mp3


    (all clips are stock block first, Killer block second)


    Review:

    I could do them individually, but my review for both are pretty similar. As far as appearance, construction, aesthetics, etc. both look very nice, have a nice solid feel to them, and are well-made as far as I can tell by my short time with them. Putting the Killer block in one hand and the stock block (from either of my guitars) in the other, the difference was ridiculous. It felt like the stock blocks weren't even there. As far as installation goes, the only differences were inherent to the type of bridge being used. The vintage strat block was a quick and easy change. The floyd block was an overwhelming pain in the ass, but thats just because its a floyd. Nothing to do with the block itself. One tangible difference is that the Killer floyd blocks have spring retainer bars, an additional bar of brass that gets screwed over top the ends of your springs. I think thats a terrific idea. More mass, more contact. Can't hurt. Last thing to mention installation-wise is that both Killer blocks have dramatically deeper screws going through the bridge into the block. I'd say roughy double the stock block/screws. This is also a nice feature; more secure, more contact.

    Once the blocks were on and the guitars were ready to play, I could definitely feel the difference. Unplugged, I definitely felt more vibration moving through the guitar, and you could heard the acoustic sound more loudly as well. Thats not to say it was fixed bridge resonance. It still felt and sounded like a trem-equipped guitar, just amped up. Plugged in, I anticipated that these new blocks would make the guitars sound thicker, fatter, heavier. You can definitely hear the difference, check the clips for example, but I don't feel that they became thicker. Instead, the new blocks made each guitar sound punchier, cleaner, more articulate and with more bell-like qualities. In stylistic terms, I lost some chugga-chugga and gained more pretty. The strat really benefits from this, as the stereotypical chimeyness of a strat is brought out even more. That bell-like ringing and clean articulation made my strat strattier.

    After the block lotto is over, and if I come up empty handed, I'd definitely think about buying a block for my strat. I can really describe it no better than "making a strat strattier." For the floyd block, I feel like the benefits of the new block were definitely present and I think it sounded really good in person, but at least in recording I feel it sounded less-suited towards chugga chugga metal. Though those recordings are guitar-only...in a mix, the Killer block would most likely stand out more. I wish I had thought of that earlier...damn. I'd also love to compare it through a real amp, but unfortunately due to time constraints I only got to play through a modeling practice amp and the recordings were all POD.

    All in all I was very pleased with both blocks, and HUGE thank you to Killer Guitar Components for giving all of us this opportunity.
    Thanks for the great review and audio clips! I think, in many ways, you nailed your description of the improvements you will realize upon installation of a KGC block. We do our best to pay special attention to the little details that can make a difference - spring cover, deeper screws/holes, aesthetics and overall design.

    Wishing you luck in the block lotto!

    Looking forward to the rest of the testers' reviews!!
    Killer Guitar Components
    Gloucester, MA
    www.killerguitarcomponents.com

  3. #3
    Member killerguitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gloucester, MA
    Posts
    49
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    Anyone else got their reviews ready?
    Killer Guitar Components
    Gloucester, MA
    www.killerguitarcomponents.com

  4. #4
    Super Toneologist Dirtbagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Down in the Dirt!
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,490
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    Bump, I'll write mine either later today or tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Vespa View Post
    Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
    I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

    Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
    Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
    Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
    Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
    Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
    Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

  5. #5
    John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Commonwealth of Virginia
    Posts
    21,772
    Likes (Given)
    239
    Likes (Received)
    878

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    Quote Originally Posted by killerguitar View Post
    Anyone else got their reviews ready?
    I just got my block passed on from our good man jeremy --- I will install tonight or tomorrow and get on with the testing.

    I plan to not only record the before & after amplified tone in a controlled environment (stationary microphone placement, no change in levels / anything in the DAW or amplifier), but I also plan to record the UNamplified tone, just for reference.

    I have no idea if you will be able to hear a difference, but you're all gonna find out

    -Hunter

  6. #6
    Member killerguitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gloucester, MA
    Posts
    49
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    Awesome! Can't wait to hear you guys' thoughts and sound clips! I have heard from many customers that they really thought the differences were noticeable well before they even plugged in, so i am looking forward to hearing the "unplugged" audio!

    Thanks again to everyone for participating!
    Killer Guitar Components
    Gloucester, MA
    www.killerguitarcomponents.com

  7. #7
    John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Commonwealth of Virginia
    Posts
    21,772
    Likes (Given)
    239
    Likes (Received)
    878

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    Quote Originally Posted by killerguitar View Post
    Awesome! Can't wait to hear you guys' thoughts and sound clips! I have heard from many customers that they really thought the differences were noticeable well before they even plugged in, so i am looking forward to hearing the "unplugged" audio!

    Thanks again to everyone for participating!
    American Standard Stratocaster Block

    I tried to make my comparison as controlled and thorough as possible.

    I recorded the guitar both unplugged and amplified, and I used the exact same mic placement for all recordings - I merely swiveled the mic stand to record the unplugged clips, then swiveled it back to the exact same marked spot in front of my amplifier to record the amplified clips.

    The guitar I'm playing is a 1996 Fender American Standard Stratocaster with a 2009 Fender Road Worn 60s neck (maple / rosewood / vintage tuners / only 1 string tree).

    The pickups in the guitar are Seymour Duncan SSL-1 in both the neck and middle positions, and the stock Fender single coil in the bridge position. Both the neck and middle pickups are set very low (far away from the strings), and the bridge pickup is set pretty high (close to the strings). You will be able to hear this in the clips.

    The signal chain for the recording is as follows:

    Stratocaster
    Digitech Bad Monkey
    VOX AD15VT Valvetronix 1x8 / 15 watt
    Amp model: "BOUTIQUE CLEAN," a model of a Dumble. It's basically the cleanest sound I could dial in. I have a Hot Rod DeVille, but it did not sound as good as the VOX at the low volume at which I needed to record.

    Microphone used is a BLUE Snowball, a large diaphragm condenser microphone. It was recorded straight to Reaper with no effects of any kind - I didn't even touch the levels or master level, to make sure that any differences in volume were recorded.

    Recording: These are 24 bit, 44.1 kHz, 2116 kbps (!) WAVs (PCM) that were uploaded to Soundcloud. They were 100 MB each. I'm sure Soundcloud compresses them somehow, but they were kept as high quality as possible up until the upload.

    In the interest of fairness, and avoiding any priming, I have decided to post the clips without any indication of whether they are the stock block or the KGC brass block. If there is any problem with this, I'll be glad to label the clips. I think it will be beneficial to the listener, however, to be forced into listening critically, as opposed to being primed with the idea "of course this clip sounds better than the last one." Again, if there is any problem with this, please PM me and I will label the clips and erase this text.


    So, without further adieu, here are the clips!

    UNPLUGGED:

    A

    B



    AMPLIFIED:

    A

    B



    If you click here, you can hear all of the clips in one go.

    Please note that the unplugged clips are not as scientific as the amplified clips. I am fairly certain that the guitar itself was closer to the microphone in one of the clips, so please take the volume in the unplugged clips with a grain of salt.

    Please note that any volume differences perceived in the amplified clips are actual, since the guitar, pedal, and mic placement settings are all identical.

    Please note that there is not necessarily any relationship between the labels of the clips. "A" could mean brass block in the unplugged clips, but "A" could mean stock block in the amplified clips. Also note that "A" could mean stock block on both the unplugged and amplified clips. I literally flipped a coin.

    I will add my review later, to give an opportunity for SDUGF members to listen to the clips objectively, but I will say this - I could hear a difference!
    Last edited by ImmortalSix; 09-26-2011 at 06:38 AM.

  8. #8
    Super Toneologist Dirtbagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Down in the Dirt!
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,490
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    I've been playing with my block for the last week. I have is in a Charvel 275DX with a Schaller Floyd. Replacing it was not too hard, it want the intonating that took a little time. The first thing I noticed was that it is a lot heavier than the stock block. It is a solid piece of metal.
    I have notice a little more sustain. The one thing I noticed the most was my tone sounded larger and a lot fuller.
    Here is a pic of the two blocks together along with the mounting screw.

    You can see the difference.

    This is a clip I made a while a with my old block
    http://snd.sc/raACjP
    Here is the same track just recorded with the new block.
    http://snd.sc/pvorhy
    I did not try it on my amp, but just my Line6 Gear Box, using a JCM800 model, with a little reverb and gated.
    I noticed a HUGE difference when I blocked the tremolo.

    If I do not win the block I will be purchasing one in the near future.

    Who do I send it to now?
    Last edited by Dirtbagg; 09-26-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Added Info
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Vespa View Post
    Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
    I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

    Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
    Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
    Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
    Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
    Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
    Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

  9. #9
    Dawn Of The Shred TheLivingDead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The wrong hole
    Age
    27
    Posts
    17,571
    Likes (Given)
    9811
    Likes (Received)
    2398

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    Wow, that really added a lot of girth to your tone! ^

    Very nice.

  10. #10
    John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Commonwealth of Virginia
    Posts
    21,772
    Likes (Given)
    239
    Likes (Received)
    878

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    Review updated / added with clips in post 7

  11. #11
    Super Toneologist Dirtbagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Down in the Dirt!
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,490
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    I added a little more info to my review
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Vespa View Post
    Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
    I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

    Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
    Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
    Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
    Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
    Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
    Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

  12. #12
    Digitally Challenged Mr 9finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,405
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    222

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    I just want to give everyone a heads up. I'm probably not going to be around much over the next 6 or 8 weeks. Bow hunting season for dear opens here this Saturday and moves right on from bow to rifle season. I've spent a lot of time and money on my hunting gear this season and I plan to take full advantage of it.

    I'll still check in daily, but if I don't answer your PMs in the same day, don't think anything of it. I'll try and get back to you as soon as possible.
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

  13. #13
    Member killerguitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gloucester, MA
    Posts
    49
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to do a review on a KGC block up to this point! It is a great asset to have these sound clips and unbiased reviews from players that really know what they are talking about.

    Who's up next? Anyone else almost ready to post their review?
    Killer Guitar Components
    Gloucester, MA
    www.killerguitarcomponents.com

  14. #14
    Mojo's Minions BloodRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tween a rock and a hard place
    Age
    47
    Posts
    13,567
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    227

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    Ok, my turn..
    I recd a Floyd rose block. Installed on my BC Rich Gunslinger. I'll start by saying that Ive seen the difference that the big blocks make and I have been using blocks from another co. One thats more cost effective than the big name place. So, Im really a believer in these big blocks..

    When I got the Killer Guitar Components block, I was very impressed by the detail of the finishing, and VERY pleased with the extra features of the spring retainer and the longer mounting screws. And, the spring holes are very snug and at a sharp angle, that I don't think they would come out anyhow. Makes install a TINY bit more challenging, but adds to the secure feeling..

    It has a TON more girth than the stocker and quite a bit more than the prev aftermarket brand Ive been using. When installed, I was afraid I wouldnt be able to get the back cover on my guitar as the block is so big. Im very picky about my axes and think they look incomplete without the covers.. To my suprise and delight, the cover fits.

    In play, they GREATLY increased the sustain and beefiness of the tone on this guitar and the guitar is much more alive and resonant.
    I will DEFINATELY hate having to take the test block out of this guitar and will buy one of these to put in it!

    Compared to other blocks Ive used, the difference in tone and performance increase is subtle, but the build and detail is Much nicer!

    I definately give this block 2 thumbs up with a zorro snap!

    Cant post clips, but here are some pics:
    The test subject:


    the blocks:
    Smallest block is the stock one (huge diff huh??) , med is the aftermarket blocks I was using, and biggest is the KGC block







    Thanks to KGC for allowing me to test the block! Ill be doing biz with you!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

    Jol Dantzig

  15. #15
    Lord of The Riff darthphineas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    2,271
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    195

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    does KGC (or anyone else) make any options in a standard-sized block upgrade that can be commented on?

    here's the deal. I want my FR to pull up. only a few of mine have the room to fit the larger 1/2" block. I have several that just do not have the room and I am not going to route them out (or file or dremel). one place has titanium, but they are also big block and more expensive. FR has tungsten that are the same size as the original blocks, but also more expensive. another place is offering to make brass blocks at the original specs, but the blocks that comes with FR is just a chrome-covered brass block.

    are there other option for a sustain block upgrade in a standard size?



    I am sold on the brass block upgrade, but have yet to try a KCG product. if KGC is wanting people to test their stuff, I have a big brass sustain block made by a competitor in a guitar right now that I know will hold the KCG block. I don't have a recording set up, just my ears and many other guitars to compare it to.
    Last edited by darthphineas; 10-05-2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: add another comment

  16. #16
    Super Toneologist Dirtbagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Down in the Dirt!
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,490
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    Quote Originally Posted by darthphineas View Post
    does KGC (or anyone else) make any options in a standard-sized block upgrade that can be commented on?

    here's the deal. I want my FR to pull up.
    With it installed on my Chavel 275DX I was able to pull up on the Floyd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Vespa View Post
    Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
    I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

    Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
    Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
    Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
    Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
    Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
    Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

  17. #17
    Mojo's Minions BloodRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tween a rock and a hard place
    Age
    47
    Posts
    13,567
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    227

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    I can pull up too! Maybe not as far as with the small block tho..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

    Jol Dantzig

  18. #18
    John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Commonwealth of Virginia
    Posts
    21,772
    Likes (Given)
    239
    Likes (Received)
    878

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    American Standard Stratocaster Block

    I tried to make my comparison as controlled and thorough as possible.

    I recorded the guitar both unplugged and amplified, and I used the exact same mic placement for all recordings - I merely swiveled the mic stand to record the unplugged clips, then swiveled it back to the exact same marked spot in front of my amplifier to record the amplified clips.

    The guitar I'm playing is a 1996 Fender American Standard Stratocaster with a 2009 Fender Road Worn 60s neck (maple / rosewood / vintage tuners / only 1 string tree).

    The pickups in the guitar are Seymour Duncan SSL-1 in both the neck and middle positions, and the stock Fender single coil in the bridge position. Both the neck and middle pickups are set very low (far away from the strings), and the bridge pickup is set pretty high (close to the strings). You will be able to hear this in the clips.

    The signal chain for the recording is as follows:

    Stratocaster
    Digitech Bad Monkey
    VOX AD15VT Valvetronix 1x8 / 15 watt
    Amp model: "BOUTIQUE CLEAN," a model of a Dumble. It's basically the cleanest sound I could dial in. I have a Hot Rod DeVille, but it did not sound as good as the VOX at the low volume at which I needed to record.

    Microphone used is a BLUE Snowball, a large diaphragm condenser microphone. It was recorded straight to Reaper with no effects of any kind - I didn't even touch the levels or master level, to make sure that any differences in volume were recorded.

    Recording: These are 24 bit, 44.1 kHz, 2116 kbps (!) WAVs (PCM) that were uploaded to Soundcloud. They were 100 MB each. I'm sure Soundcloud compresses them somehow, but they were kept as high quality as possible up until the upload.

    In the interest of fairness, and avoiding any priming, I have decided to post the clips without any indication of whether they are the stock block or the KGC brass block. If there is any problem with this, I'll be glad to label the clips. I think it will be beneficial to the listener, however, to be forced into listening critically, as opposed to being primed with the idea "of course this clip sounds better than the last one." Again, if there is any problem with this, please PM me and I will label the clips and erase this text.


    So, without further adieu, here are the clips!

    UNPLUGGED:

    A

    B



    AMPLIFIED:

    A

    B



    If you click here, you can hear all of the clips in one go.

    Please note that the unplugged clips are not as scientific as the amplified clips. I am fairly certain that the guitar itself was closer to the microphone in one of the clips, so please take the volume in the unplugged clips with a grain of salt.

    Please note that any volume differences perceived in the amplified clips are actual, since the guitar, pedal, and mic placement settings are all identical.

    Please note that there is not necessarily any relationship between the labels of the clips. "A" could mean brass block in the unplugged clips, but "A" could mean stock block in the amplified clips. Also note that "A" could mean stock block on both the unplugged and amplified clips. I literally flipped a coin.

    I will add my review later, to give an opportunity for SDUGF members to listen to the clips objectively, but I will say this - I could hear a difference!
    So, nobody really looked at the blind test - they have 7 total plays which I'm sure were all me so here is a regular old review:

    The block itself had a lot more mass than the stock American Standard block. Probably 1.5x. It's brass, no sharp edges, well machined. It installed very easily with no surprises.

    I have my Stratocaster set up with 5 trem springs, and the claw cranked way down; essentially "hardtailing" it. I am unsure if this minimizes the effect of a high mass trem block or not.

    Unplugged: The guitar felt more resonant and sounded oh-so-slightly louder. It sounded richer, a little more like a piano. Sustain was also oh-so-slightly increased. My Strat, the way I have it set up, has almost 0 sustain, so it was a welcome change, although it must be noted that the guitar still had essentially no sustain.

    Amplified:
    Much bolder. Juicier. The guitar sounded like it had more energy. It was more pleasurable to play because it sounded better. It was easier to get the guitar to give up the goods with the KGC brass block. I still think "juicier" is the best I could describe it.

    Breakdown: The changes I noticed in my Stratocaster were subtle, but observable. If you had a guitar that was good and you wanted to take it from good to great, this would be a great option, and probably the first thing I would recommend, after experiencing it. In the case of my guitar, it's not very good in the first place for some reason, so my guitar went more from "ug" to "OK" than "good to great."

    I may add more to the review later, just wanted to get my basic thoughts out there.

    Here are the clips:


    STOCK BLOCK, Unplugged

    KGC BRASS BLOCK
    , Unplugged


    STOCK BLOCK, Amplified

    KGC BRASS BLOCK, Amplified

    The key for decoding the blind test clips is as follows:

    Stock, Unplugged = B1
    BRASS, Unplugged= A1
    Stock, Amplified = A2
    BRASS, Amplified = B2

    KGC, thanks a lot for the opportunity to test it out, I enjoyed it very much, and will be sending the block I tested to King IzzO))) today or tomorrow.

    Cheers!

    -Hunter
    Last edited by ImmortalSix; 10-06-2011 at 11:40 AM.

  19. #19
    Lord of The Riff darthphineas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    2,271
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    195

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbagg View Post
    With it installed on my Chavel 275DX I was able to pull up on the Floyd.
    I have big blocks in 4 guitars right now, and they can pull up. I have 1 or 2 more that can definitely handle the 1/2" block and still pull up.



    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRose View Post
    I can pull up too! Maybe not as far as with the small block tho..
    yeah, it's common that the 1/2" blocks can reduce the range to pull up by about 1mm.


    but... I am saying that I have some guitars that have VERY limited clearance with the existing regular blocks in there. right at 1/8". when I have tried regular big blocks in there, the butt up against the wood and will not pull up at all.

    original Floyd blocks are chrome covered brass, so it doesn't seem like it'd be worth the trouble to put a bare brass block in there if it's the same size as the original.


    so... my question is if anyone knows if there are other options for a sustain block upgrade in a standard size (other than tungsten)?

  20. #20
    Member killerguitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gloucester, MA
    Posts
    49
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Killer Guitar Components Trem Block Reviews -post 'em here.

    Quote Originally Posted by darthphineas View Post
    I have big blocks in 4 guitars right now, and they can pull up. I have 1 or 2 more that can definitely handle the 1/2" block and still pull up.





    yeah, it's common that the 1/2" blocks can reduce the range to pull up by about 1mm.


    but... I am saying that I have some guitars that have VERY limited clearance with the existing regular blocks in there. right at 1/8". when I have tried regular big blocks in there, the butt up against the wood and will not pull up at all.

    original Floyd blocks are chrome covered brass, so it doesn't seem like it'd be worth the trouble to put a bare brass block in there if it's the same size as the original.


    so... my question is if anyone knows if there are other options for a sustain block upgrade in a standard size (other than tungsten)?
    Here at KGC, we are our own custom shop. We can make practically anything you could want from brass. If you want something that is not as thick, tapered or whatever - just shoot me an email and we will work with you on it. Thanks for your interest and thanks to all of you who are participating here!
    Killer Guitar Components
    Gloucester, MA
    www.killerguitarcomponents.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •