Thread: P-Rails Wiring

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default P-Rails Wiring

Could someone please help with a wiring diagram for: 2 P-Rails, with one volume and one tone existing pots, 3-way main switch and two DPDT On-Off-On mini toggles.
    I want to achieve separate controls for each P-Rail and be able to choose all four sounds for each one before going through the tone and volume pots.
    If required, I will purchase additional switches to achieve this, possibly push/pull pots.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: P-Rails Wiring

Hi Karen,
    Did you take a look at the SD wiring diagrams section?
    If I understand you correct, this would be the way to go. Instead of the the push
    pull, you can use any dpdt of course.
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...s_2v_2t_3w_2pp
    B
    ~+~ tube afflicted, strat addicted ~+~

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm confused by the "I want to achieve separate controls for each P-Rail " part.

Are you also asking if you can have the volume and tone pots control each pickup as if the guitar had 2 volume and 2 tone?

You might be able to use concentric volume and tone controls, which are available as either 500/500, 250/250, or 500/250, so each stacked pot can be volume/volume, tone/tone, or volume/tone.

However, they don't offer switching like a push/pull. Still, the blending option is there for the middle position.

And yes, you can replace the push/pull in a diagram like the one Baltar linked with a DPDT On/On switch.

Then again you really should consider the TripleShots. They fit the P-Rails like amps fit electric guitars.

Assuming the mini-toggles are already in the guitar, you can rig one up as a kill switch and the other for phase inversion of one of the pickups/tripleshots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Note View Post
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had **** and was on fire!
    My Blog

Ultimate Tone Slacker rumblebox's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is for on/on/on switches so you can use the p-rail as a humbucker or either coil. Otherwise i would use triple shot switches. They look a lot cleaner and offer additional switching.

-Carlton-
    71 LP deluxe goldtop - [BB1, CWP mini]
    10 LTD MH-350NT - [BB3, BB2, BB1]
    09 Dean avalanche 7 - [Blaze, PAF7]
    99 LTD M-100 - [Steve's Special, GFS A2 classic(A5)] - big block
    Lap steel made from scraps and an L500XL (BLUSA)
    JSX(modded), texas heats, cry baby(modded), bad monkey, memory boy, expression factory

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your interest, guys. I think I need to switch (or select) the humbucker mode before going to the main pickup mode selection as per SD. I want to be able to select series or parallel humbucker, P90 sc or rail sc for each pickup before the main 3-way sw & the single vol and tone controls. I have attached my take on this concept, I hope you can access it. So the red & white wires go to a SPDT to select humbucker mode, then the output of this goes (with the green/bare and black) to the DPDT switch (on-off-on) using only one side of it. This is repeated for the other pickup and the black wires go to the main 3-way selector and out through the volume and tone controls. For the SPDT sw, maybe I could use one side of the push-pull tone and volume pots if I replaced them. How does the termination ring help here, is there a switch mechanism in there?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ST in Phoenix

Whatsoever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might....
    ~ King Solomon

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey guys, where can I purchase DPDT On-on-on mini toggle switches, please? Having a lot of trouble here!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could try Allparts, Warmoth, or WD Music for starters.

Ultimate Tone Slacker rumblebox's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use strwmac for switches, but I always use triple shot switches whenever i can.
    -Carlton-
    71 LP deluxe goldtop - [BB1, CWP mini]
    10 LTD MH-350NT - [BB3, BB2, BB1]
    09 Dean avalanche 7 - [Blaze, PAF7]
    99 LTD M-100 - [Steve's Special, GFS A2 classic(A5)] - big block
    Lap steel made from scraps and an L500XL (BLUSA)
    JSX(modded), texas heats, cry baby(modded), bad monkey, memory boy, expression factory