Thread: Superswitch and a BMP-1

Ultimate Tone Member zakk_speed's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Superswitch and a BMP-1

I want to suggest a superswitch combined with a BMP-1 diagram that will have this combination

1. Neck Only
    2. Neck + Bridge North coils humbucking
    3. Neck + Bridge
    4. Neck + Bridge South coils humbucking
    5, Bridge Pickup

I'm not good at superswitch combinations, but this is something that the BMP-1 is unique in being able to deliver.

I have an Ibanez 2120x donor guitar that I am happy to make a pictorial record if someone maybe called Frank can perhaps help me work this scheme out.
    Last edited by zakk_speed; 10-01-2011 at 11:39 PM.
    "that’s what is so good about the guitar — everyone can really enjoy themselves on it and have a good time, which is what it’s all about. Right?”

Jimmy Page

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Superswitch and a BMP-1

Hey there - I'm interested in exactly that setup but having a hard time thinking through the superswitch connections. A picture of it wired up would help a lot. Do you a photo you could share?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never worked it out...someday maybe
    "that’s what is so good about the guitar — everyone can really enjoy themselves on it and have a good time, which is what it’s all about. Right?”

Jimmy Page

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Zakk,

In positions 2 & 4, which coils are you looking to have together? 2 north coils together will not be humbucking (nor would the 2 south coils together). Are you looking to have the inside coils together in one position and the 2 outside coils together in the other? With typical SD pups, that would give you 2 north coils together and 2 south coils together. Neither would be hum cancelling.

Without flipping magnets or rotating one of the pups, you'd have to go with the outside coil of the Neck together with the inside coil of the Bridge for one position and the inside coil of the Neck with the outside coil of the Bridge in the other position to get hum cancelling.

I've never used the BMP-1, but I'm gathering that it only really uses what is connected to its outside terminals as the hot leads of the attached pickups. If that's the case, you should be able to take the (SD colors) Red & White wires to the 5-way switch to get different coils.
    ST in Phoenix

Whatsoever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might....
    ~ King Solomon

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my hacker experience the coils dont 'humbuck' the same way as you'd expect ala passives ...I have no idea why... I usually just muck about grounding the red or white wires on each pup till I get what I want and the hum goes away when they're both on....trying to work out wiring in theory just makes my head hurt

Jimmy Page