Thread: JB sh-4 or JB tb-4

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default JB sh-4 or JB tb-4

I have a MIM HSS Strat. Which pickup should I use JB SH-4 or JB-4 for string width. Does it really make a big different. I am new at this.Thank You
    Semper Fi

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: JB sh-4 or JB tb-4

It's debatable. String balance (and evenness of tone from string to string) are better if each string lines up with it's poles. It depends on how far off it is and how much compression you play with.

Most newer guitars are tending towards wider spacing at the bridge, so if you aren't sure I'd go with the TB-4.

Others who collect older Gibsons will argue to get what fits best there (SH-4).

Easiest way to tell for sure is to measure the E to E string spacing. 50mm or below, it's SH. Otherwise, TB.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many Mexican Strats have narrower string spacing than USA strats. I'd measure first. You may need an SH anyway.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you can use a standard spaced humbucker it sure makes life easier: you can use a regular S/S/HB pickguard. I've not been able to find a pickguard maker that'll cut anything other than a standard size hole for an HB and really, a Trembucker needs a wider opening and the height/mounting screws need to be drilled with be a little wider spacing than a regular HB, too. WD wouldn't do it. Neither would Allparts. I do prefer Trembuckers on most Strats -I like my E strings to be centered over the polepieces. I don't own any from Mexico though - maybe standard HB's will work if they have narrower string spacing than Fender USA or Fender Japan.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Warmoth will make them with trembucker spacing.

Just got one from them last week.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

...what darthphineas said...Warmoth makes a really nice pickguard with a trembucker sized cut-out. Their configurator is super easy to use and turnaround time is quick. I use TBs on both of my MIM strats. A standard width will work if that is what you already have, but the trembucker lines up better and looks better imo...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a mexican strat and i had to get a trembucker. i bet it will be trembucker most likely. if its regular i would be suprised.