Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

I wonder what would happen if you slapped an Alnico 8 in a 59/Custom hybrid? That seems to be all the rage on the forum this week.

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by yeti
    I wonder what would happen if you slapped an Alnico 8 in a 59/Custom hybrid? That seems to be all the rage on the forum this week.
    Try it and let the rest of us know?
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hell, i'm still waiting for my first Custom to arrive!
    But I do have Allstars webpage saved, and a list of all the usual suspects to contact in my quest (you're on there buddy) for tone.
    Why do I see this ending with me on a live CNN feed, screaming "Alnico 13!!!" from a clocktower?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by yeti
    Hell, i'm still waiting for my first Custom to arrive!
    But I do have Allstars webpage saved, and a list of all the usual suspects to contact in my quest (you're on there buddy) for tone.
    Why do I see this ending with me on a live CNN feed, screaming "Alnico 13!!!" from a clocktower?
    I haven't tryed anything over an A5 and I start thinking that you'd almost be in ceramic magnet territory in output and magnet strength that high on the alnico 8? Probably nowhere near ceramic though huh? I don't ever use ceramic pickups and so I don't really know...I do know that A5 is more than enough as far as power in the lows and highs and good strong tight output..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im a sucker and ordered a variety from All Star Magnetics. 4 Alnico 8's, 2 Ceramic 8's, and I guess 3 Alnico 3's and 3 Alnico 4's.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I really need to do is sit down and compare the posts on the 59/Custom hybrid (and the improvements it brings sound) and compare to the Custom 8...might very well be some "overlap" on enhancements that would cause potential problems.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

has anyone made a Gibson 57 classic/ Custom hybrid? I have a couple of these laying around and wonder how they would sound with the aid of a Custom?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would stick with Duncan coils... some of the specs might be slightly off and you will have some difficulty.
    GMP Guitars RULE!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by claytonc
    has anyone made a Gibson 57 classic/ Custom hybrid? I have a couple of these laying around and wonder how they would sound with the aid of a Custom?
    Yucky.....Don't do that! Start off with some already great Duncans or you'll be polishing a turd!

The Classic 57s don't compare to any of the vintage wound Duncans! I had em both and sold them right away!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had mine in the bridge of a Brian Moore for a week or so now and It really is Exceptional! Lots of harmonics. Definitely sounds like EVH circa late 70's early 80's. I will have to try it in several other guitars!

Thanks BachToRock!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had mine in the bridge of a Brian Moore for a week or so now and It really is Exceptional! Lots of harmonics. Definitely sounds like EVH circa late 70's early 80's. I will have to try it in several other guitars!

Thanks BachToRock!
    Not everyone feels the same way about the Hybrids,but they do sound really great in my Tokai Love Rock....Harmonics and a great combination of what I Love about the CC and the 59 pickups...I use an A2 in the bridge on this guitar...You get ballsy tone,great note clarity,chime on the top,strong overall lows,and great harmonics..

I also have a Jazz/59N A4 in the neck of this same guitar...Might just be this guitar that I Like the hybrids in,but whatever,it sounds really great..

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mhmm ok... great thread! I do have a couple of questions...
    You mention desoldering the wires. I have no idea where from haha! If i desolder them from the coil, wouldn't the start/finish wires get lost? Or are all finish/start wired to the 4 conductors AFTER the coil, and this is where you have to desolder? Do the wires keep the same colors so you can't mess it up?
    I'm REALLY tempted by a Distortion/Fullshred or a Custom/Fullshred (both Ceramic) hybrid. I love the FS but I'd need a bit more power.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks BachToRock!
    ClaytonC... glad you are enjoying the 59/Custom A5 Hybrid... let's hear some more details on what you think of it.

All Those Brobucker 10k PAF guys have no idea what they are missing... the 11.25k 59/Custom Hybrid is THE BOMB!

I sent a JB/Custom A5 Hybrid and a 59/Jazz Neck Hybrid to another forum member recently... maybe he will chime in with a review and/or comments soon...
    Last edited by BachToRock; 01-03-2006 at 05:42 PM.
    GMP Guitars RULE!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BachToRock
    ClaytonC... glad you are enjoying the 59/Custom A5 Hybrid... let's hear some more details on what you think of it.

All Those Brobucker 10k PAF guys have no idea what they are missing... the 11.25k 59/Custom Hybrid is THE BOMB!

I sent a JB/Custom A5 Hybrid and a 59/Jazz Neck Hybrid to another forum member recently... maybe he will chime in with a review and/or comments soon...
    You betcha! I'm the guy he's talking about, and I just put my guitar down after playing an hour. Whew! Lemme just wipe the sweat away and say:

I HAVE BEEN BachToRock-ERIZED!!!!!

BTR sent me a JB/Custom5 and 59/Jazz hybrid, and let me just tell you boys: these pups kill.

Slay.

Destroy.

And every other positive thing you can say about a pickup that has to do with violent death and destruction. But in a GOOD way.

I'm too wired up at the moment to write coherently, but I will collect my thoughts and observations and post them in a new thread soon.
    Asteroids do not concern me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I play Gibsons and various other set-neck, Gibson style guitars and the 59/cc hybrid did for me what few other pickups could do. I tried and liked different things about the c5,cc, pg, 59, dimarzio vhpaf and the rio bbqs. i made a hybrid out of that 59 and cc and it really got me far closer to that elusive something that the others were missing. individual results and tastes may vary, but from clean to high gain, this hybrid really captured what i wanted all those other models to do.
    i started with the a5 but have since switched to the a2 magnet. i feel it is warmer and fuller or maybe a bit of both. bach to rock will make you one, it is money well spent and costs basically the same as a new Duncan in the box.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=BachToRock]All Those Brobucker 10k PAF guys have no idea what they are missing... the 11.25k 59/Custom Hybrid is THE BOMB!QUOTE]

I'll have both. I was one of the nuts screaming for the Brobucker...I almost retreated after discovering the hybrid and liking it so much. The Brobucker's specs aren't spot on (IMO) but I ordered one and I still look forward to it. Now that I install my own pickups I'm at a point where the more pickups I have, the better--I have a DiMarzio VHot PAF on the way and will be ordering a HighOrder 'bucker soon too. The more the merrier.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll have both pickups also....I'm thinking the BroBucker will be a collectable someday and I'll have one....I also am waiting on the VPAF Hot pickup and I Love variety in my life! LOL

WGTP

Has anyone tried a Full Shred/Demon hybrid?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by notesfield
    I play Gibsons and various other set-neck, Gibson style guitars and the 59/cc hybrid did for me what few other pickups could do. I tried and liked different things about the c5,cc, pg, 59, dimarzio vhpaf and the rio bbqs. i made a hybrid out of that 59 and cc and it really got me far closer to that elusive something that the others were missing. individual results and tastes may vary, but from clean to high gain, this hybrid really captured what i wanted all those other models to do.
    i started with the a5 but have since switched to the a2 magnet. i feel it is warmer and fuller or maybe a bit of both. bach to rock will make you one, it is money well spent and costs basically the same as a new Duncan in the box.
    Great choice! I prefer the A2 magnet on the 59B/Custom Hybrid I have in my Love Rock....Didn't care as much for the A5.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GMP Guitars RULE!