Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

eddievanhalen1000

Default Re: HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

This hybrid 59/custom5 is the same that Eddie used in fair warning record, or fair warning tour?

Riffologist Extraordinaire GoDrex's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eddievanhalen1000 View Post
    This hybrid 59/custom5 is the same that Eddie used in fair warning record, or fair warning tour?
    what gave you that idea?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No. This pickup we're discussing is something that forum bros here have figured out how to make from two separate pickups, and some say it will help you cop a VH tone fairly well. This is not anything that EVH has ever used.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i read somewhere something like that too about him using some kind of a Duncan hybrid too, but i can't remember where that was. And it was around that time period too.

eddievanhalen1000

Quote Originally Posted by BachToRock View Post
    NEW PICTURES & MORE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS ADDED 5/6/06... see post #128 for additional details...
    OK... anyone who has tried it knows that the coolest pickup in the world is the ALNICO 59/CUSTOM HYBRID... it combines the Clarity and Vintage Response of the 59 Model with the Punch, Drive and Body characteristic of the Custom 5 and Custom Custom.
    It is fabricated from 1 59 Model coil and 1 Custom coil with an Alnico magnet... it measures out about 11.25k and balances prefectly with typical vintage type neck humbuckers like the 59, Jazz, Seth Lover, Pearly Gates and Alnico pro II.

The problem when you overwind a PAF style 42 guage wire pickup(59 Model, Seth, EVH, etc.) is that it starts getting congested and garbled sounding above about 9k which happens to be right where the excellent Custom Shop EVH/78 Model is... if you wanted some more beef to your tone the next step was one of the 43 gauge Custom models (which all use the EXACT same coils) wound to just above 14k which is the best range for tone with that wire...
    The comprimise is that you lose the articulation and dynamic response of the PAF and start to suffer from compression due to the signal travelling through a thinner and greater length of wire, but it is an EXCELLENT tone none the less!

With the Hybrid you get a Meritage of the 2 pickups... the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS... also, each coil has a different resonant peak so the combination is less "peaky" or "one notey" than a standard humbucker. The mis-matched coils also cancel less harmonics so the tone is more complex and posseses some qualities exclusive to single coil pickups. The original vintage PAF's had coil mismatches since they were wound by sight "until they were full" and not to a specific number of turns or resistance... that is one of the many reasons they sound so great.

My favorite NECK pickup is 59/Jazz Hybrid...
    Many of the coils can combine to make great Hybrids... read through the posts and see the variations!

STEP 1 - Get your 59 Model and CUSTOM 5/CUSTOM CUSTOM prepared for surgery by removing the tape surrounding the coils.

STEP 2 - Remove the tape protecting the lead wires and pull them away from the coils

STEP 3 - Very carefully remove the tape on the lead wires and De-solder the leads that come from each coil... a braided 2 conductor pickup has the screw coil start lead wire soldered to the baseplate and the finish wire is Black instead White

STEP 4 - Remove the little brass screws from the bottom of the coils

STEP 5 - Remove the coils to be exchanged

STEP 6 - Install the swapped coils on each pickup

STEP 7 - Re-install brass screws on bottom plate to secure the bobbins... tighten LIGHTLY

STEP 8 - Re-solder the lead wires(shown on left) and tape to prevent shorting out(shown on right)

STEP 9 - Heat the whole pickup with a hairdryer to get the potting wax flowing... press everything together tightly and then tighten the screws on the bottom snug to secure the whole assembly...

STEP 10 - After it cools down, carefully tape the whole pickup... I use premium 3M SUPER 33+ as is stays put even with the thin layer of wax around the edge.

FINAL STEP - Install your new pickup and try to wipe the huge grin off your face after plugging in and discovering the most even sounding and responsive Bridge humbucker you have ever heard!
    Hi, man. Can you tell me if you know; what the humbucker that Eddie used in Star Fleet album?

Is there a particular reason you quoted all that to ask that question?
    -Chris
    @ChrisWeatherly1

Quote Originally Posted by John Suhr View Post
    Practice cures most tone issues

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, man. Can you tell me if you know; what the humbucker that Eddie used in Star Fleet album?
    Let me tell you something I've learned about Eddie's guitars. He experimented almost constantly with his guitars, so what was in one guitar on any given song/record is going to be very difficult to find out. At best you'll have some pictures of his guitars from the period and a number of "so-and-so heard from a friend that drank beer with EVH that he was using this" stories.

And last but not least, as I've heard another member on here say (who cops Eddies tone to a T by the way) Eddie's sound is NOT as hard to dial up as some people think it is. Just get the basic physical elements down and leave the rest up to your hands.

Gear's important, but not so important that it's worth getting so caught up in the details that you lose sight of the bigger picture. I doubt Eddie himself could tell you the details that you and most Ed-head are seeking, and he probably never played it twice through the same setup anyways.
    Last edited by B2D; 09-25-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the 59/Custom hybrid with an A2 magnet would probably go a long way towards a nice EVH type of tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    Was quoting that huge post really necessary to ask that question?

Let me tell you something I've learned about Eddie's guitars. He experimented almost constantly with his guitars, so what was in one guitar on any given song/record is going to be very difficult to find out. At best you'll have some pictures of his guitars from the period and a number of "so-and-so heard from a friend that drank beer with EVH that he was using this" stories.

And last but not least, as I've heard another member on here say (who cops Eddies tone to a T by the way) Eddie's sound is NOT as hard to dial up as some people think it is. Just get the basic physical elements down and leave the rest up to your hands.

Gear's important, but not so important that it's worth getting so caught up in the details that you lose sight of the bigger picture. I doubt Eddie himself could tell you the details that you and most Ed-head are seeking, and he probably never played it twice through the same setup anyways.
    OT: ... Ed's sound changed drastically from album to album, sometimes from song to song. But I think the main constant in Ed's sound back then was his Marshall plexi's dynamic overdrive. Though it often bloomed into a juicy saturation... it never ventured into "heavy metal" territory... there was no "TubeScreamer-esque" midrange-hump and grind to it... it didn't have enormous amounts of preamp buzz on top either... and the drive always cleaned up to a nice and clear sound when he fingerpicked the strings. Haven't heard anyone truly duplicate it... not even Ed can anymore... then again he changed to using master volume amps when he first started using the Soldano... and those amps are "preamp buzz and grind" city... just like dem 5150's are.
    Last edited by YHWH; 08-06-2009 at 07:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XSSIVE View Post
    2011 twittered, it wants the 80's guitar playing talent back.
    Quote Originally Posted by formula73 View Post

@YHWH: she's not worn out, just broken IN.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GoDrex View Post
    the 59/Custom hybrid with an A2 magnet would probably go a long way towards a nice EVH type of tone.
    I'd like to try one with an A8...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    that would sound great too - but too loud and compressed for my liking.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    me too.

anyone done this yet?
    wahwah, on gigging in the UAE:
    It was refreshing to see Australians abroad, sober. I almost didn't recognise them.

Funkfingers, in response to some highy questionable spam:
    When this forum talks about getting wood, we're usually thinking of flamed maple.

Mike Hastings, 14th Earl of Loudoun:
    I reckon I might send Lizzie a bill for back rent. The old girl's family have been living in my bloody castle for the last 500 years.

eddievanhalen1000

Ultimate Tone Slacker jimijames's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dr. ad View Post
    me too.

anyone done this yet?
    I've got one in my kramer - great pickup but too even and well mannered if you ask me...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What would other good matches be for hybrid PU's? I heard JB/Custom earlier. Any other combinations for a PAF sound and crunch with a bit of JB vibe?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

on this, i have to recommend against making a hybrid out of a 59n and a A2Pn; the clarity's great but it's quite thin and loses the character of either pickup on it's own.
    i preferred the A2 59n, A5P, A2P, 59n, hybrid in that order.

am moving house, and will then make a JB/DDn hybrid which will rule the earth with an iron fist.
    wahwah, on gigging in the UAE:
    It was refreshing to see Australians abroad, sober. I almost didn't recognise them.

Funkfingers, in response to some highy questionable spam:
    When this forum talks about getting wood, we're usually thinking of flamed maple.

Mike Hastings, 14th Earl of Loudoun:
    I reckon I might send Lizzie a bill for back rent. The old girl's family have been living in my bloody castle for the last 500 years.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dr. ad View Post

am moving house, and will then make a JB/DDn hybrid which will rule the earth with an iron fist.
    what's a DDn? Duncan Distortion? A Duncan Distortion is the same wind as a JB.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GoDrex View Post
    what's a DDn? Duncan Distortion? ...
    ... Duncan Distortion neck... which I believe was formerly dubbed the "Seymourizer II".

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I want the end result to have a four conductor wire, should I order the 59 with 4 or 2 (the custom 5 come with a 4 con. standard)?

Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ACE 4080 View Post
    If I want the end result to have a four conductor wire, should I order the 59 with 4 or 2 (the custom 5 come with a 4 con. standard)?
    as long as one of them has a 4 conductor you can salvage that and put it on one of the two hybrids. if you need more 4 conductor you can get some for cheap at http://www.wymoreguitars.com
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork