Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet City Amps

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Jet City Amps

Here in the UK the distributor for Jet City is selling new amps cheap on eBay (due to them needing the warehouse space, translation: no one wants to buy them). I'm always half on the lookout on a decent high-gain 2x12 and head or combo for smallish gigs and these have obviously got my attention. I'm also looking 6505/5150s and the new Laney Ironhearts, but I'm a poor student and it's not very easy to try anything before I buy it if I want to stay cheap.

Therefore what are your opinions on dem der Jet Cities? also ideas on alternatives are more than welcome

P.S. In terms of High gain, I'm talking metalcore and melodic death, as well as more 'classic' stuff and in my limited experience I don't seem to like pushing the amp, but using the most brutal channel with moderate gain and using the headroom to keep it tight and clean. However, I have owned two amps and not played through many more, so I'm probably talking complete
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
    Gear > Women
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    In Metal we learn that "This one goes to 11", and that 11 is one more than 10.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Jet City Amps

This guy does the best demos of Jet City amps. If this is the tone you're after then go for it. Otherwise maybe save and wait to buy a used 5150/6505.

I don't listen to much of that type of metal so not entirely sure how a melodic death metal guitar should sound. However I think I've heard of some popular metalcore guitarists using JCA.
    GuitarStv: O.o

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

they are modern-voiced but vintage-styled

by that i mean they sound best medium-crunchy and boosted with an OD for metals.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This has been produced the **** out of, but I love the ideal of tight and powerful bottom end with clear and articulate leads.

P.S. no i'm not and never will be anywhere near that good...
    Gear > Women

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get a used Peavey 6505 or 5150 (or 6505+ or 5150 II)

it does tight bottom and razor sharp articulation better than the JCA stuff.

I have a JCA, and while it can pull off super high gain metal with an EQ and/or an OD pedal in front, it's more vintage sounding, and has a smooth attack.

The Peaveys on the other hand, have an extremely similar tone to the JCAs, except with tighter bottom, more gain on tap, and crisper articulation in the high end.

When you turn it up, the Peaveys and the JCA both have PUNISHING thumpy, growling low-mids - which sounds AWESOME in a band situation.
    My Music

Fender MIJ '62RI strat: Rose BuffBeauty/Robusta/Robusta | Jolly Roger Cutlasscaster: CustomRCA3/Little'59 | Squier Pro-Tone Strat: Stock | CTN Polaris: JB/Hot Rails(b) parallel
    CTN Exploder 880 bass
    Korg Pitchblack, Boss NS-2, Crybaby, OCD, East River Drive, Monte Allums GE-7, Nova Repeater
    H&K Tubemeister 18 | Retro30/ET65 in a Saxon custom 2x12
    Persian Rug

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love my little twenty watter, but I wouldn't say it does what you're describing. Try the JCA50H or the 100HDM. I think it's worth going HDM just for the depth control. I modded mine for it, and it's one of the top three things I've done to the amp. The other two, in no particular order, are replacing the stock tubes and biasing the power tubes properly. I also put in a choke, but I don't think that was as big a deal.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My JCA20 rules but it needed better tubes than what it came with stock. Not a Metal amp but a near bulletproof terror. I run it into a PV 412MS cab, they work great together. I do occassionally beg them to make a 4xEL84 version of the amp.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-650...ht_3563wt_1218

THIS would be perfect (would it?), but don't want to feel pressured into buying it.
    Last edited by AdamBrad; 10-22-2011 at 03:08 AM.
    Gear > Women

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a similar note, those 1x12 versions of the 6505 are pretty easy to get hold of, what do you think would be a good matching 1x12?
    Gear > Women

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man...

This combo is as heavy as an overcrowded with deamons hell !!!!!!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie13 View Post
    This combo is as heavy as an overcrowded with deamons hell !!!!!!!!
    If you had only misspelled it with the a in front of the e, I could have made the nerdiest joke ever. So thanks for letting me avoid that humiliation.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    If you had only misspelled it with the a in front of the e, I could have made the nerdiest joke ever. So thanks for letting me avoid that humiliation.
    any time...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakek5150 View Post

This guy does the best demos of Jet City amps. If this is the tone you're after then go for it. Otherwise maybe save and wait to buy a used 5150/6505.

I don't listen to much of that type of metal so not entirely sure how a melodic death metal guitar should sound. However I think I've heard of some popular metalcore guitarists using JCA.
    Wow, that's a pretty good metal tone right there... reminds me of Killswitch Engage's tone from "alive or just breathing"...
    My own brew of acoustic folk-music:
    Myspace
    Facebook
    Youtube
    Buy digital or physical album
    Or you can just PM me...
    Thanks for listening...

Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    Go to an opthamologist and get your damn ears cleaned out!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only one ive played is the 20 watter. No way it does hi gain without some help. I demoed with a tube screamer and was able to get it to sound pretty nice and tight with a good tone. All depends on if you want to use pedals or just plug straight in.

Ultimate Tone Slacker IanBallard's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stock 5150/6505's are buzzy-sounding to me. A buddy of mine stuck a AU7 in the PI slot and it made all the difference in the world... got rid of the buzziness, opened up the dynamics and the cleans are actually... CLEAN! He has a Mk1 5150 and used some mid-rated 6L6-GE (the US-made replicas of the original GE tubes) Groove Tubes and it's amazing sounding now.

I suppose, since the 5150 circuit was similar to the Soldano, you could do a similar mod to a JCA and get that clarity and still get the gain to decapitate some folks in the front row.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems like those peaveys might be for me, oh well.

Anyone in the UK who's thinking about a Jet City should check out eBay though
    Gear > Women

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by IanBallard View Post
    Stock 5150/6505's are buzzy-sounding to me. A buddy of mine stuck a AU7 in the PI slot and it made all the difference in the world... got rid of the buzziness, opened up the dynamics and the cleans are actually... CLEAN! He has a Mk1 5150 and used some mid-rated 6L6-GE (the US-made replicas of the original GE tubes) Groove Tubes and it's amazing sounding now.

I suppose, since the 5150 circuit was similar to the Soldano, you could do a similar mod to a JCA and get that clarity and still get the gain to decapitate some folks in the front row.
    I've been saying this since I did exactly that in my Jet City. The 12AU7 in the PI works wonders for the amp, and it does nothing but add clarity to the distortion. There's no downside to it, especially since a 12AX7 in the PI slot just drives the power section harder. A 12AU7 cleans up the power amp and increases headroom, which is good for a preamp that generates a pretty decent amount of gain.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Nightburst's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Using the headroom to keep it tight and clean? Clean, ok but tight? You'll need something to compress the sound like an od, clean boost or compressor pedal.
    Most modern metal bands use od pedals and max the level and lower the drive. It's just the easiest way how that metal tone is obtained. It's also a way to make the tone 'hotter' on lower volumes.
    Any high gain amp will be sufficient using this method, you just choose the voicing and feel you like best when picking the amp.
    If you can get a good deal on a Jet city, I'd say go for it. It's new and has warranty right? Buying an older 2nd hand amp is more risky imo.
    Also keep in mind that good speakers are very important when you want to get a good high gain tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love my jca100h. The thing is a beast but if your looking for that scooped metalish-core stuff then you want the 5150. The jca100, imo, falls into what I catagorize in my mind as the "Marshall" branch of amps. Raw tone and power. Great crunch. Fantastic mid range. Id say its closer to a hotrod jcm800/900. It doesn't ooze gain like a 5150 or mesa. But it has more then enough for me. try one out, its the only way to know but I think that style is really tailored around the 5150, it just has a tighter bottom end. My style is more hardcore influenced. Down to nothing, no turning back, back track, strife, etc.
    Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think one of the JCA 50 or JCA 100 amps would work fine, even though they aren't as scoop-able, and the Peavey has way more gain. Almost every single person says the Peavey has way more gain than they'd ever need, so why not go for an amp with a bit less available?

The idea of heavy music to me is more from the band all hitting it hard, and tightly, than it is an overly distorted or scooped guitar tone. Kerry King sets his 10 band EQ up in a frown to pump the mids up, so scooped isn't always the right answer.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.