Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Paterno retires - what say you?

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Paterno retires - what say you?

I personally think it is a raw deal. I don't really know the details, because the media sucks. "Kid molested at university" is not nearly as interesting as "Joe Paterno" may be involved.

But - I think the trustees, board, etc...may be using this as an angle to get him to step down. I don't think he has any intention of doing so. Tragic or them to be so doooshy about it. They have a lot of ways to remove him without sinking to this level.

This is just one of those things that it just smells bad period. You don't run one of the most ethical programs in all of 1A history and let stuff like this slide. He has done far more to players who did far less.

I went there, though, so obviously I'm biased. What are your thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

TrippyVinylologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Paterno retires - what say you?

It's been on ESPN all day here, he should go and now not later. According to the reports he swept it under the rug...can you say big money in college football.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Joe coulda done more in 2002. Sad he gets caught up.
    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
    Guitar to sound output:
    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everybody always could do more. But to punish someone when they did what they were supposed to do?

So, if I see a house on fire and call 911, will I be in trouble if the fire department doesn't show up?

My understanding: The guy wasn't working for him at the time. He had a report - he forwarded it to the proper people.

I'm not sure if he had an obligation to report to 911. I have training from Scouts on this though, and they are pretty thorough. I can't believe he had more of an obligation than I do.
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The fact that everyone failed to call the cops is a travesty. Anyone who witnessed what was going on should have been on the phone to the police immediately. And anyone who heard about it secondhand should have been on the phone to the police immediately. There were failures here at many levels, the largest of which was Sandusky himself. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This was my reply in another thread, I belive it applies here.

Sorry Bob, JoPa had knowledge of this in 2002 as passed it off,
    expecting them to do the right thing. They didn't, he should have followed up.
    I'm sorry, he is one of the greatest coaches and mentors of all time,
    I truly believe that, but he made one mistake that caused a monster to remain free.
    Insurmountable pain was caused by Sandusky and some of it could have been averted.
    The whole staff from the Prez down needs to go.
    Jopa wants to finish out the season, I don't think it will happen, and it
    shouldn't. Mass firings right now!!! Sorry Unhappy Valley this is a wound
    that will not heal quickly. A true shame.

Peace,

Darrin

TrippyVinylologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Grand Jury Indictment, skip to page 7. http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4181508116.PDF

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Microencapsulated- early 2000's, Joe Paternos Defensive coach and unbeknownst pedophile molests a kid in the locker room. It gets reported to Joe Paterno. Joe dutifully reports it to the Athletic director or College Dean ( not sure).
    Anyway, long story short, the defensive coach in question turns out to have a history of pedophilia ( now being investigated and prosecuted) through some 'kids coaching' program he was in charge of.
    To make things brief, NOW they come to Paterno looking to lay some blame, after more kids come forward about abuse form the Defensive coach . Paterno said that he had reported it, which he did.
    The pedo Defensive Coach was let go right away back then, and subsequently The Dean, or Directors at the time have long since been dismissed because of this.

NOW they want to come after Joe for some headhunting and totally media blizting B.S.
    No, Joe isn't at all to blame, but..HEY JOE..take some time off and enjoy some freedom ya workaholic! Take a vacation..spend time with the grandkids..fer chrisakkes!
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 11-09-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    I am the Special Envoy of Unparalleled Tone. I would be a Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary, but I don't have a Hiwatt.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    Microencapsulated- early 2000's, Joe Paternos Defensive coach and unbeknownst pedophile molests a kid in the locker room. It gets reported to Joe Paterno. Joe dutifully reports it to the Athletic director or College Dean ( not sure).
    Anyway, long story short, the defensive coach in question turns out to have a history of pedophilia ( now being investigated and prosecuted) through some 'kids coaching' program he was in charge of.
    To make things brief, NOW they come to Paterno looking to lay some blame, after more kids come forward about abuse form the Defensive coach . Paterno said that he had reported it, which he did.
    The pedo Defensive Coach was let go right away back then, and subsequently The Dean, or Directors at the time have long since been dismissed because of this.

NOW they want to come after Joe for some headhunting and totally media blizting B.S.
    No, Joe isn't at all to blame, but..HEY JOE..take some time off and enjoy some freedom ya workaholic! Take a vacation..spend time with the grandkids..fer chrisakkes!
    Jerry, Joe knew of this in 2002 and passed it off, wrongo!!!
    Report it to the police immediately. This is not something that
    should go unnoticed. Read my response earlier in the thread.
    Mass firings, nothing short!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A very interesting point.

That grand jury bit is fascinating.

Dawn Of The Shred TheLivingDead's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I feel terrible for the guy. Such a crappy way to end an awesome career.

Sorta OT. I remember when our 70-something-year-old HS football coach caught me and a couple friends smokin' herb in the locker room. He didn't say ****! Good guy he was. Obviously a different scenario all together, but yeah.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSnMettle View Post
    Jerry, Joe knew of this in 2002 and passed it off, wrongo!!!
    Report it to the police immediately. This is not something that
    should go unnoticed. Read my response earlier in the thread.
    Mass firings, nothing short!!
    No sir. Joe Paterno at that time CANNOT report it to the police. That would NOT be within his sphere of jurisdiction and such action could have liabilities .Joe Paternos reponsibilities were to report the incident to the Dean and/or the Director of Athletics, and that was dutifully done. Joe didn't want a pedo in his ranks...you can be sure of that.
    You are wrong here BlueSn'.
    Joe is in no way at fault.
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 11-09-2011 at 07:04 PM.
    I am the Special Envoy of Unparalleled Tone. I would be a Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary, but I don't have a Hiwatt.

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What was he supposed to do about it? He has to protect peoples reputations whether he is connected to them or not. Paterno may have been glad to bring this situation to the attention of his superiors and then wash his hands of it. However that doesn't mean he is to blame for it.

TrippyVinylologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As far as breaking the law Paterno as I understand it did not but it's clear he had the knowledge and I assume the smarts to know he should have gone to the law as well his superiors should have too. There is only one reason that can be surmised from this and that is the schools reputation and football programs were at great risk. That's inexcusable.

TrippyVinylologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No sir. Joe Paterno at that time CANNOT report it to the police. That would NOT be within his sphere of jurisdiction and such action could have liabilities .Joe Paternos reponsibilities were to report the incident to the Dean and/or the Director of Athletics, and that was dutifully done. Joe didn't want a pedo in his ranks...you can be sure of that.
    Well, I heard many legal experts today on ESPN radio that don't agree. There is no such thing as "jurisdiction" in a case of rape against a minor.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No sir. Joes cannot report it to the police. That would not be within his sphere of jurisdiction and such action could have liabilities .Joe Paternos reponsibilities were to report the incident to the Dean and/or the Director of Athletics, and that was dutifully done. Joe didnt want a pedo in his ranks.
    That's Bullsh!t Jerry and you know it. Wait are you yanking my chain?
    I just re-read you post and I detect a bit of sarcasm there. If so,
    ya got me, if not, your wrong.

Peace,

Darrin

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
    Well, I heard many legal experts today on ESPN radio that don't agree. There is no such thing as "jurisdiction" in a case of rape against a minor.
    Why would a bunch of media scoundrels agree with a time honored and respected caoch? Wheres the front page sensationalism and controversy in agreement that a good man did the right thing?
    If Paterno circumnavigated the University protocal and went to the police straightaway, it would have as many civil liabilities within the legal system as reporting it to the Dean/ Director in due process of law.
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 11-09-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSnMettle View Post
    That's Bullsh!t Jerry and you know it. Wait are you yanking my chain?
    I just re-read you post and I detect a bit of sarcasm there. If so,
    ya got me, if not, your wrong.

Peace,

Darrin
    Your forgetting your promise to be civil. Im not yanking anything.Thats my story. Im sorry if you happen to disagree.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by idsnowdog View Post
    What was he supposed to do about it? He has to protect peoples reputations whether he is connected to them or not. Paterno may have been glad to bring this situation to the attention of his superiors and then wash his hands of it. However that doesn't mean he is to blame for it.
    Yes he is to blame for it. He should have went to the authorities
    immediatley. Do you realize what we're talking about here, rape,
    molestation! These aren't petty crimes. If any of you thinks differently,
    then your morons and you need to reevaluate your morals. Holy sh!t,
    I can't phucking believe what I'm reading.

TrippyVinylologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why would a bunch of media scoundrels agree with a time honred and respected caoch? Wheres the sensationalism in agreement that a good man did the right thing?
    If Paterno circumnavigated the University protocal and went to the police straightaway, it would have as many civil liabilities within the legal system as reporting it to the Dean/ Director in due process of law.
    Ummm, are you kidding? I hope so. Q. Can I be sued if I make a report?

A. Anyone participating in good faith in the making of a report of child abuse and who has reasonable grounds for making the report, shall have immunity from any liability, civil or criminal, that might otherwise be incurred or imposed with respect to the making or content of such report. Any such participant shall have the same immunity with respect to participating in any judicial proceeding resulting from such report.