Thread: Humbucker at neck, single coil at bridge wiring

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Humbucker at neck, single coil at bridge wiring

Hi!
    I plan to build a telecaster with a humbucker at the neck and a single coil at the bridge. I have just started to get into wiring and I have found that one does not simply wire both a humbucker and a single coil in the same guitar. Here is what I think I know:

1) The humbucker will (also because I use it at the neck) sound louder.
    2) The humbucker will need a 500k tone pot to make it more bright, while the single coil will need a 250k pot to cut some treble.
    3) And then in a book I have it says: "The most common such mistake is to combine a high output humbucking bridge pickup with a clean vintage-style single-coil neck pickup, wired normally, i.e. in parallel and in phase. The resulting impedance mismatch means that the higher impedance bridge pickup will be drained by the lower impedance neck pickup, resulting in very little difference between the combined pickups and the neck pickup on its own."

Could anyone explain this a little more, or correct me if im wrong? And do you know how I solve this so both the combined and individual pickups sound good, and without too much diference in volume?

I have also found that in the SD wiring diagrams, they show the wiring exactly as if it had just been two single coils:/ They don't even tell which pots to use. I will probably send them an email if this post doesn't clear things up for me

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Asmus; 11-22-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Humbucker at neck, single coil at bridge wiring

welcome to the forum!

just to clarify, you want a humbucker in the neck position and single coil in the bridge position correct?

that can be done and can sound great if the right pups are used. what pups were you thinking about using?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just to clarify, you want a humbucker in the neck position and single coil in the bridge position correct?
    Yeah thats right

I haven't thought about any specific pick-ups but I would like the classic tele "twang" sound at the bridge. So it shouldn't be to "hot" right?
    I dont have any experience with humbuckers so I dont really have any preferences here.
    It's okay if the pickups aren't cheap. I guess I'll buy them online and have them sent to Denmark since shops here are really expensive!

welcome to the forum!
    Thank you! I can see on your post count that you have been in here for quite a while!
    Last edited by Asmus; 11-22-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ive been around here just about as long as anyone, and that post count doesnt even show the half of it

to match a humbucker with a single coil i would look at a low output bright bucker, like maybe a jazz neck model, with a slightly hotter warmer bridge single coil, like maybe a jd model.

the jazz is clear and sound nice in the neck and the jd is still pretty classic sounding but with a little more output and warmer tone. i would use 250k pots.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A Jazz or a '59 would be good.

Another suggestion would be a P-Rails. That would give you the choice of humbucker in series or parallel mode, P-90, or a Rail. You could get some pretty good sounding combinations with that JD bridge.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could also consider a Quarter Pound Lead, tapped, for the bridge. This with a P-Rails at the neck would give you massive tone choices. You'd probably want to use a 500k vol pot.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the replies
    It sounds nice with the JD bridge. I like the sound of the '59 better than the jazz, but at the website it says that the jazz has slightly less output (than the '59). Will this make the jazz match better?
    I think the P-Rails are to advanced for my needs, but i think i will try to split the bucker
    I have noticed a difference in fender and seymour duncans tele wiring. It looks as fender connects the sweeper of the tone pot with the ground of the volume pot. What difference does this make?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm running a neck bucker and a single in the bridge of my strat, with tele options in the wiring (1-bridge 2-bridge neck 3-neck 4-neck middle 5-middle.)

The seth is rated at 7.2K, surfer custom bridge is 9.7K. I use 280K RS guitar works volume, 250k tone and 250k tone, the pickups can get bright and they sound just RIGHT (dr. seuss lmfao) with 500k I couldn't stand the jangliness even with tone rolled down.

At these levels, my notch position of neck bridge like what you will be using on your tele sounds very balanced now that I lowered the bridge pickup. The surfer bridge was actually overpowering the seth at the height I had it at. What I did was sit down with a screw driver and adjust the bridge while playing in notch position until I heard the desired blend between the pickups. I was an idiot thinking the surfer was underpowered compared to the seth until today when I tweaked it a bit.

Since it is what I use in my fender, and I am extremely happy with it, I will strongly recommend a Seth or similar PAF neck and a tele bridge that isn't too high output so you can adjust the 'blend' with the pickup height. 7.2k neck vs 9.7k bridge and quality pots from RS guitar works should sound killer in that tele! Good luck
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmus View Post
    Thanks for the replies
    It sounds nice with the JD bridge. I like the sound of the '59 better than the jazz, but at the website it says that the jazz has slightly less output (than the '59).
    NO worry. JD - '59 is great pair for fat tele. I would use 500k pots. But if you want to use 250k pot, JD - Jazz or Broadcaster - Jazz is better option, IMHO.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wecome to the Duncan Forums Asmus !

I've been thinking about the same Tele build as you for almost a year now.

I want to get a Road Worn Tele (thanx to Christian) and replace the neck S/C with a full size Humbucker, just like that guy from Pirate Of The Caribbean.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...d.php?t=227519

Tele, SG, LP Jr & Tokai LS92 into FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / block letter 5150 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 (2x V30's) / Marshall Class 5 combo

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have noticed a difference in fender and seymour duncans tele wiring. It looks as fender connects the sweeper of the tone pot with the ground of the volume pot. What difference does this make?
    None. Since the resistor, (pot), and the cap are in series, it doesn't matter which comes first. All of the following connection modes are electrically, and functionally, identical.

P.S. DC resistance has no bearing on output voltage when measured in parallel.
    Also, one of my favorite Teles came factory wired bridge-single/neck humbucker. I love it. (Although, I've replaced the neck with a Phat Cat.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 11-24-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone - im really expanding my knowledge on this subject!
    Currently im leaning towards the JD and a '59. Does other brands than SD make humbuckers I should consider?

@ SirJack
    I want to get a Road Worn Tele (thanx to Christian) and replace the neck S/C with a full size Humbucker, just like that guy from Pirate Of The Caribbean.
    Haha, I really dont think that is the pickups he is using, but it sure is awesome!
    I will probably post pictures in here when I am done, and if you aren't also finished by then you could see how I ended up wiring it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@ SirJack
    Haha, I really dont think that is the pickups he is using, but it sure is awesome!
    I will probably post pictures in here when I am done, and if you aren't also finished by then you could see how I ended up wiring it.

Oh but he DOES use a full size humbucker in the neck : (we all know that)

Tele, SG, LP Jr & Tokai LS92 into FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / block letter 5150 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 (2x V30's) / Marshall Class 5 combo

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow didn't realize it was him:P Know I get your point!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow didn't realize it was him:P Know I get your point!
    YUP, he is in POTC 3 & 4.