Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do the latter JB's use a polished 5 vs the originals RC A5?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Evan or Frank, why do the latter JB's use a polished 5 vs the originals RC A5?

This was debated for many years about old vs new JB's
    Turns out the older JB's used a rough cast alnico 5 and the newer ones all use polished 5's this would explain why all those years i heard the older JB's to be smoother/warmer right? why the change from RC to polished?
    Last edited by Ed Hunter; 11-26-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Why do the latter JB's use a polished 5 vs the originals RC A5?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hunter View Post
    This was debated for many years about old vs new JB's
    Turns out the older JB's used a rough cast alnico 5 and the newer ones all use polished 5's this would explain why all those years i heard the older JB's to be smoother/warmer right? why the change from RC to polished?
    I couldn't tell ya why Ed but I really like the RC A5 in a JB at the moment, thick and spongier than the stock A5. I've got it in a mahogany charvel clone. Sounds killer trying to pull off some Ratt or Jake E Lee.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 51501984 View Post
    I couldn't tell ya why Ed but I really like the RC A5 in a JB at the moment, thick and spongier than the stock A5. I've got it in a mahogany charvel clone. Sounds killer trying to pull off some Ratt or Jake E Lee.
    I hear ya, i put all RC 5's in my JB's except the old stock one in my kramer baretta from 84. I always loved that one JB more than my new ones now i know why! turns out a RC 5 was in the kramer JB!
    Last edited by Ed Hunter; 11-25-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does a rough cast A5 have a different magnetic field than a ground smooth version?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting. I never knew that.

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not a JB fan but cool info.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
    Not a JB fan but cool info.
    I never have been either, but I like the one in my Charvel.

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I never have been either, but I like the one in my Charvel.
    I Loved the one a buddy had in his Kramer also...Just a single humbucker in the bridge..This was mid to late 80s.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've never had a JB, but have been so close to getting one many times. So curious to actually hear what a RCUOA5 or an A2 or an A8 would do to it.

Sure, I've read lots of descriptions on this forum, but I just would like to hear for myself sometime. It just sounds like such an interestingly unique pup.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Unprofessional Toneologist DarkMatter's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd be willing to bet it was changed due to cost, I have no supporting evidence for this though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMatter View Post
    I'd be willing to bet it was changed due to cost, I have no supporting evidence for this though.
    I agree and normally it would be no big deal but the RC5 sounds different than the polished 5. enough so that the new JB's with these polished 5's do not sounds exactly like the old ones like had been disputed many times before.
    We need frank or evan to chime in and let us know when the switch from RC to polished took place?

Varg

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hunter View Post
    I agree and normally it would be no big deal but the RC5 sounds different than the polished 5. enough so that the new JB's with these polished 5's do not sounds exactly like the old ones like had been disputed many times before.
    We need frank or evan to chime in and let us know when the switch from RC to polished took place?
    Yeah, Frank posted in the threads either side of this one so I was hoping he would chime in.

Although, being honest, I have one modern JB and it sounds awesome. I have two JBJs and the modern JB I have sounds better (mainly due to the guitar its in Im sure, but still).
    I would really need to A/B all three of them in the same guitar to see if there was a difference.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Varg View Post
    Yeah, Frank posted in the threads either side of this one so I was hoping he would chime in.

Although, being honest, I have one modern JB and it sounds awesome. I have two JBJs and the modern JB I have sounds better (mainly due to the guitar its in Im sure, but still).
    I would really need to A/B all three of them in the same guitar to see if there was a difference.
    Just to be clear,I wasnt really saying the older ones are better just different (warmer/smoother) due to the RC 5. some may prefer the extra high end snap and bite of the polished 5 in the newer JB's

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I had to make p'up production run smoothly, I'd too use polished mags ONLY.

RC mags have impurities along the sides that have to be leveled before the mag can be positioned, or the final assembling will be compromised. I had some that couldn't get the bobbins sit straight because of the impurities.

I see this all the time I swap mags for my customers. The ones with the biggest impurities that've been sand leveled, had to also get recharged. The sanding affected'em somehow.

It's not a problem for me as I'm doing one at a time, but you just can't afford something like this happening in a production run; your cost skyrockets and you lose money.

HTH,

HTH,
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Mojo's Minions
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

personally I'd guess that given it was originally designed for a tele which had plenty of twang, this was the solution....then as it became used more widely the polished tone became more versatile.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First don't ever discount the degaussing of the magnet as the main reason an old JB sounds different. If an old JB had been made with polished A5 it would still sound warmer today. In fact I conducted my own poor man's study with my personal old JBJ. It had a rough cast magnet that was degaussed significantly. It was also not degaussed uniformly. It was the lowest along the treble edge, screw side. Once I charged up the magnet to full gauss, the differences between the JBJ and the new JB from stock all but vanished.

The rough cast magnets are not consistent. Rough cast means they basically are attempting to cast the magnet to actual size. The roughness means it is technically undersized by that amount of texture. There is a random dithering effect due to the rough surface, and this is likely what you're hearing assuming the gauss strengths are IDENTICAL. If the gauss is off by around 5% or more, THAT is more of what you're hearing than the rough surface.

On manufacturing Seymour is all about consistency. Polished magnets are cast oversized (meaning they look the same when they come out-rough) but then they are ground down to size. With a polished magnet we are in control of the tone, not subject to randomness, nor do we have to sort them into usable and not usable.

Public service announcement:
    BUY YOUR 35th ANNIVERSARY COMMEMORATIVE JB'S RIGHT NOW! They are almost gone. They use rough cast magnets, Butyrate bobbins, Maple spacer, long legs, single conductor. Get em now while you still can.

Varg

I have been extremely lucky to get TWO JBJ pickups in the past few months, for around £25 each ($35?) on ebay. Im not really sure why they went so cheap, but Im glad to own them and wont be parting with them. Sure, I dont personally hear them being better than my newer JB, but I love the JB and its cool to own a couple of the mythical JBJs.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
    Public service announcement:
    BUY YOUR 35th ANNIVERSARY COMMEMORATIVE JB'S RIGHT NOW! They are almost gone. They use rough cast magnets, Butyrate bobbins, Maple spacer, long legs, single conductor. Get em now while you still can.
    Antiquity JB's?
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Antiquity JB's will continue to be available. The 35th Anniversary commemorative would be like an un-aged version, and are fully gaussed.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
    Antiquity JB's will continue to be available. The 35th Anniversary commemorative would be like an un-aged version, and are fully gaussed.
    I hadn't realised there was actually an Antiquity JB in the SD line-up - attempted j/k falls flat
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned