Thread: What does a microphonic pickup sound like?

Mojo's Minions Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What does a microphonic pickup sound like?

I've seen this term over and over and I have no idea how I would know if a pickup is microphonic.

When I play and stop I hear some ringing - is that microphonic tubes or a pickup?
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What does a microphonic pickup sound like?

Crap!

Actually many people misinterpret a pick as being micro phonic. Microphone (to me anyhow) means the pickup is working more like a microphone. I have seen pickups that had become so micro phonic that even speaking over the pickup would produce your voice through the amp. But in essence and unwanted noise that is produced from the pickup can qualify as micro phonic. I had a Telecaster that was severely micro phonic. Any volume or gain would immediately cause the guitar to squeal out of control. I removed the pickups and wax dipped them. Wax dipping is common to eliminate air in between the coils of wire and the magnets. The way I do it(which is not necessarily correct but it works for me). Is I use a double pot boiler. This is a pot you fill with water and then a second pot with the wax sits above the boiling water. It takes a bit longer to melt the wax using a double boiler but it works well & you are less likely going to start a fire. The wax you should use is Gulf brand wax. This is used in canning fruits and jams so any store that would cater to this should have it.

Once the wax is melted I wrap the leads around a pencil or a stick and rest the stick across the top of the pot so the pickup is floating in the wax but not touching the sides or the bottom. The pickup needs to be completely submerged under the melted wax. I leave the pickup in the wax until I no longer see any bubbles coming out of the pickup. Once this is done you can remove the pickup from the wax and place it on a paper plate to cool. Once the pickup has cooled down you can reinstall the pickups and you should be good to go. I did this with two Tele pickups and the guitar has been great ever since.
    Last edited by Bludave; 12-01-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Varg

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE E

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A microphonic pickup sounds like crap. The first time I posted a tutorial on how to repott pickups people wanted to hang me for heresy. However it is more commonly accepted now.

That's me in the corner - that's me in the spotlight, losing my religion.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd like to know what causes a pickup to become micro phonic and are there things you can do to prevent it?

I beleive the majority of modern pickups are now wax potted to prevent microphonics, are they not?
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLivingDead View Post
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, most modern pups are now potted.
    Some players (like myself sometimes) like a un potted pickup.
    The Gibson Tim Shaw pickups are not potted, the after market Burstbuckers are unpotted.
    However un potted is bad in a high gain and high volume situtation.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many manufactures brush wax on. I don't feel that is as effective as dipping the pickup in the wax. There really isn't anything that you can do to prevent it from happening, aside from the obvious is to not let the guitar get overheated. Like leaving it in your trunk on a hot summer day. If you treat your guitars respectfully chances are you will never have a problem but any guitar as it gets older the potential is going to be there. Its not a hard thing to fix.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Neil Young's "Old Black" Gibson Les Paul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you can talk into your pickup like a microphone and you hear it come through the amp,then it is microphonic.This is not a bad thing just different /Some sound great ,Seth lovers are microphonic cause they are exact replicas of 50's era humbuckers.the previous post is also true Neil's Old Black has a microphonic pickup. If you like the sound keep it,only your ears can be the judge

Jessie's ghost

It's a trade-off. I love my un-potted, un-balanced Burstbuckers, but they're pretty microphonic and will squeal like stuck pigs if I use them under high-volume, high-gain conditions. It's only under those conditions that they sound like "crap"; any other time they're the best-sounding humbuckers I've ever owned.

On the other hand, when I want to play high-volume metal and hard rock, there are tons and tons of potted pickups that suit that scenario better.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lex666 View Post
    I'd like to know what causes a pickup to become micro phonic and are there things you can do to prevent it?

I beleive the majority of modern pickups are now wax potted to prevent microphonics, are they not?
    Eventually the wax dries out and deteriorates which can cause microphonics. This is why some people use a mix of bees and paraffin wax. The bees wax tends to stay pliable longer.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 12-31-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Jessie's ghost

Is that because the oils in the wax evaporate over time?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie's ghost View Post
    Is that because the oils in the wax evaporate over time?
    That's possible. I know the wax in my Dimarzio PAF from 1979 was oxidized and chalky when I changed pole pieces.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, ttOP, it might be the tubes, or a spring reverb.

I noticed an Ibanez w gargage Asian (garbasian?) humbucker had lots of singlecoil bite & picked up EVERY stupid little finger noise in a way that got fixed by a quality aftermarket hb. So thats another symptom for hbkrs.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some really brave souls pot pickups in resin, but that's a risky venture. A resin mixture builds up heat as it cures, enough heat to melt the thin varnish layer most coil wires are coated in for insulation. Of course, once the varnish melts, the coil shorts out, and you're stuck with a PAF paperweight.

"Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.