Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fender replacement necks

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: fender replacement necks

If you hold your gas too long, you'll be sorry when it finally comes out.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love the feeling of the neck but the neck radius kills me when I'm standing and going from high to low strings - I really miss a 12 or more radius

So it seems USACG is the way to go?

Is it easy to install a new neck?

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    So I6, do you specifically have to ask for those mods (rolled edge fretboard, crowned and pollished frets, etc), or is that just typical quality from USACG? For $250 that sounds like a whale of a deal.
    I did not specify anything other than the specs (scale length, fretboard wood, fret size, radius, etc.)

I was STUNNED to see what a high quality neck it was, how many details were lovingly addressed.

Also, I thought the subtlety of it was very cool - the fact that they do all this extra work, and don't advertise it obnoxiously / plaster it on every inch of their website, etc.

It's just very, very cool.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just another voice...I dig Musicraft necks. I had a custom semihollow Tele made with one of their's. Great neck and they have a lot of customizable options.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone know if G&L necks are a direct drop in on a Fender? They make good stuff, and a 12 in. radius is one of their option. edium jumbos are standard frets, but skinnier frets may have been custom ordered by the retailer or an individual. Maybe one would come up on the used market.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

P.S. Gotta put in a word for my local guy, B. Hefner.

http://edenhaus.com/

Apparently they are having a store-wide 10 percent off sale until the end up the year. They make everything to spec and can use nitro or poly. Their only problem is that they don't have a wide variety. It's Strat or Tele, and that's it AFAIK.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have replaced the necks on 3 of my Strats. One I used Musicraft. Not a bad neck, but they are prone of having truss rod rattles. Every once in a while I can feel a sympathetic vibration of the rod when I play certain notes. On my other two Strats I have Warmoth. The first Warmoth neck I go is a compound radius going from 10 to 16". It is a very large neck and has 6105 fretwire. Its a Birdseye maple neck with a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard. I had some issues with the neck because it was too big. Its been reshaped twice & now it plays much better. My third neck is also a Warmoth. This one required nothing. I ordered it with a Clapton back, 9.5" radius 1 11/16ths nut width, quartersawn maple & Brazilian fingerboard with 6105 frets. Its perfect for me. I think both Warmoth & USA make great necks and in some ways actually better then Fender. You just have to understand what it is you are ordering
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    It's a home-build that is not done yet - sorry I didn't disclose that above
    looks like somebody went a little crazy with the router in neck pocket . or was that to line up centerline of neck with bridge ? always pop centerline down body and place bridge on body with double sided tape until you get it lined up then draw out route if you dont have templates .