Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Everything Axe Unexpected Buzz/Hum

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Howell, NJ
    Posts
    3
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Unhappy Everything Axe Unexpected Buzz/Hum

    I replaced my standard pups on my MIM Strat with an Everything Axe set expecting to get rid of the noise.
    To my surprize the noise is still there. Not as loud as befor, but still there to annoy me.
    I searched this forum for an answer but found nothing that is close to my situation.
    This is what is happening: the buzz/hum disappears when I touch the strings. This indicates to me that the bridge ground is OK. It also seems to indicate a grounding issue. However, when I put the 5 way switch in positions 2, 3 and 4 there is no noise at all when I do not touch the strings. The only time I get the buzz/hum is when the switch selects the bridge or neck pup by itself. Sounds like the bridge and neck pups are single coil.
    The 2 pups in question are wired as per the diagram (white and red together and taped, green and bare to ground, black to the switch). The resistance appears to be OK (double the single coil resistance).
    The control cavity is factory shielded (looks like paint) and the grounding wire to ths shield appears to make good contact. The pickup guard has the foil covering most of its back and the ground contact there is also good. The output jack appears to be OK and the contacts are good.
    At this point I am at a loss, so I would appreciate if someone could point me in a new direction.

  2. #2
    Mojo's Minions GuitarDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calif
    Age
    67
    Posts
    8,612
    Likes (Given)
    64
    Likes (Received)
    379

    Default Re: Everything Axe Unexpected Buzz/Hum

    You say the hum goes away when you touch the strings. This means that the bridge is NOT grounded. Don't forget to check the connection of the ground wire to the tremolo spring claw and to one of the pots.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

  3. #3
    Mojo's Minions frankfalbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ventura
    Posts
    3,826
    Likes (Given)
    150
    Likes (Received)
    299

    Default Re: Everything Axe Unexpected Buzz/Hum

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    You say the hum goes away when you touch the strings. This means that the bridge is NOT grounded.
    In my experience it's the exact opposite. Touching the strings = touching ground.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Howell, NJ
    Posts
    3
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Everything Axe Unexpected Buzz/Hum

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    You say the hum goes away when you touch the strings. This means that the bridge is NOT grounded. Don't forget to check the connection of the ground wire to the tremolo spring claw and to one of the pots.
    Well... the "old" meter shows 0 Ohms between the output jack shell and the strings.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Everything Axe Unexpected Buzz/Hum

    They're single coil pickups. You're not going to be 100% noise free.
    The reason why there's no noise in position 2 and 4 is because those are the 'in between' positions. The two pickups selected cancel the noise out.
    Check if your position 3 actually makes the noise go away. If it does they're maybe another problem present.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Howell, NJ
    Posts
    3
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Everything Axe Unexpected Buzz/Hum

    Quote Originally Posted by itsall4you View Post
    They're single coil pickups. You're not going to be 100% noise free.
    The reason why there's no noise in position 2 and 4 is because those are the 'in between' positions. The two pickups selected cancel the noise out.
    Check if your position 3 actually makes the noise go away. If it does they're maybe another problem present.
    I have the Everything Axe set. According to the product page all 3 pickups are humbuckers not single coil.

  7. #7
    Butterball speed2dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    La Habra, CA
    Posts
    1,055

    Default Re: Everything Axe Unexpected Buzz/Hum

    Quote Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
    In my experience it's the exact opposite. Touching the strings = touching ground.
    So what would be the solution if this was the case?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •