Thread: I wonder if I started something stupid?

TheProphet

Default I wonder if I started something stupid?

I love Les Paul Custom Lites. About a year ago prompted by a thread made by Seymour himself, I decided to start looking for one.

Now these used to be great value for your dollar, the one that made me lust for them was bought by a guy I knew for $800. Usually they go for $1,400 - $1,800. Even the 1988 Gold Top Limited editions usually sold around the $1,500 mark. When the one I bought came along it was priced pretty high - 1,900 shipped. I personally did not have a problem with that price because a.) it was dead mint - the original bridge had all it's gold plating, no pick scratches, no dents ... nothing, and b.) next to Ferrari Red, the Wine Red is probably the rarest colour to find.

Ever since then ... ebayer sellers have been asking more and more $2,500 ... $3,000 ... $3,500 all for models that are in ok-decent condition.

Here's the latest nutter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Origina...item336fad1331

A BIN of $4,000????

That's double what I paid for my Wine Red one a year ago. Sure it looks stock and in decent condition ... but WTF?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I wonder if I started something stupid?

No. Inflated prices are the norm.

When I first read the thread title, I thought that you had "demanded" a change of Gloss.
    Esperanza Spalding - "You have to have something to say; chops don't matter. If you have nothing to say on your instrument, I'll just go home and listen to albums with people better than you."

TheProphet

Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    No. Inflated prices are the norm.

When I first read the thread title, I thought that you had "demanded" a change of Gloss.
    I'm not that daft ... I like mine.

I figured with the market like it is that prices would have either stayed the same or have dropped. Plus, at these prices they just aren't selling and I've seen the same sellers relist them a few months later at the same price or higher.

Eh reality will hit them eventually and I'll be able to pick up a Gold Top and a Pewter at reasonable prices.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't look at what people are asking in active auctions, look at what they're getting in competed auctions.

IMO contrary to what most people say, this is not a buyer's market. Its a stagnant market. Buyers want a deal and sellers ask too much. Nothing moves.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedCarrot View Post
    Don't look at what people are asking in active auctions, look at what they're getting in competed auctions.

IMO contrary to what most people say, this is not a buyer's market. Its a stagnant market. Buyers want a deal and sellers ask too much. Nothing moves.
    I'm in total agreement with you. I still stand behind my belief that ANY used guitar isn't worth more than $450. Anything that you pay over that, you pay because you want the instrument, not because they're worth it.

TheProphet

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedCarrot View Post

I think this is it.

I keep a little record of LPCL's that show up online, and many of these guitars keep popping up on ebay from the same sellers as before ... so they are definately not moving.

Mojo's Minions Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think TC hit it right on the head. I was watching an AV52 Tele at $950 - no bids and auction closed. I was waiting to see if the seller relisted at a lower starting price... NOPE. He relisted it for $1099. Zuh?

On the flipside of that, I was watching a Hot Rod 52 Tele which had a starting bid of $1025 and a BIN of $1150. Didn't go. Seller relisted it with an opening bid of $100. It ended up going for more than $1200.

So if you're a seller - list it incredibly low and you'll attract so much interest that bidders will get caught up in the bidding war and you'll end up with more than if you ask high.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Cat In The Hatministrator stevie_bees's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It seems to go in cycles, but at the moment there are a lot of guitars on eBay with stupidly inflated prices.

Mojo's Minions Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There really are. I've been cruising for a while and there's a lot of sellers listing used guitars for like $100 or $200 off the brand new price (we're talking stuff in the $1600 range). Sooo, factor in shipping and any other assorted fees and by the time we're done there's no deal whatsoever. Why don't I just go buy one brand new from an authorized retailer where I'll get free shipping plus full warranty, returnability, and price guarantee?
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Mojo's Minions
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just spotted someone trying to sell a LH '81 LPC for $6000

Not even current 59 VOS guitars go for that.

Most ones I see from that era are in the 2-3K range.