Thread: replacement pups

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default replacement pups

Hi, newbie here looking for some advice on replacement humbuckers for my Godin lg, which currently have schaller tetrad pups...should state the Godin is made of mahogany w/ string through design....I play through a boogie dual rec.w/ a boogie 2x12 cab...I play anything from maiden to Gary Moore...I need more output, sustain w/ harmonics...I am not an active pickup guy....Ty..

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: replacement pups

The SH-5 custom is the best place to start

Ultimate Tone Slacker Reckless Abandon's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sh5 will cover a lot ground. Not sure on output. Distortion may be perfect
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) At-1(b)/Air Norton(n)
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) A2 VHPAF(b)/VPAF(n)
    Sterling AX40 stock (Axis copy pickups)
    Epiphone LP Special EMG 85 bridge
    1986 Epiphone S900 59/Custom Hybrid: stock singles (Duncan's to come)
    Rouge P Bass Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/Celestion g12t-75

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Custom 5.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 for Custom SH/TB-5.

I found the Custom5 (SH/TB-14) to be WAY too mid-scooped in Mahogany.
    My Music

Fender MIJ '62RI strat: Rose BuffBeauty/Robusta/Robusta | Jolly Roger Cutlasscaster: CustomRCA3/Little'59 | Squier Pro-Tone Strat: Stock | CTN Polaris: JB/Hot Rails(b) parallel | Fender Showmaster: PG+/'59N
    CTN Exploder 880 bass
    Korg Pitchblack, Boss NS-2, Crybaby, OCD, East River Drive, Monte Allums GE-7, Nova Repeater
    H&K Tubemeister 18 | Retro30/ET65 in a Saxon custom 2x12

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=ConvoysToNothingness;3050817I found the Custom5 (SH/TB-14) to be WAY too mid-scooped in Mahogany.[/QUOTE]

Which is why the C8's become so popular. It'll do Gary Moore and metal.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about a Duncan jb in bridge & a jazz in the neck? Does anyone know how that would sound in all mahogany? Ty

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, just wanted to chime in & let u know that I picked up a Duncan pickup booster at a garage sale & it gave life to my tetrad humbuckers as well as my single coils in my strat ! Highly recommend it...it works very well with weak humbuckers...great for boosting solos too. I have it plugged in after my tuner...

Varg

Lots of people dont like the JB in mahogany, I find it to be fine, but I think I am in the minority to be fair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By fine, do u mean too much treble? Ty

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if he think it's fine, it doesn't have anything 'too much'. It's fine.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Both Maiden&GMoore (TLizzy) used Dimarzio Super Distortion in Fender Strats. Lots of UK artists back in late70s/early 80s were trying to goose the juice with these higher output pickups. I use the SuperD in a mahogany Epi SG (..ahem, special)- im very happy with the balls out attitude and chewy tone-the sustain and harmonics are easy, but have alot of attitude- not smooth. After screwing it far away from my strings, i find it very easy to dial usable tones. I dont love most Dimarzios- they remind me of a Tasmanian devil in a tuxedo- but the Super D IS that devil, naked, that they got right the first time. To a Tee, it does British Meh'-ull cuz it IS British Meh-ull (priest, def lep, vivian campbell,etc.) It is king of its own thing, but less than ideal for everything else, like clean tones, or blues.

But you have a Godin in mahogany.... With a Rectifier: from SeymDunc u should start with a Custom5, 8, or ceramic, cuz it would give your mahogany that classic rock PAF bite with a good, beefy bluesier sound.( If u try a jb or dd, expect L.A., be it hair or thrash metal- def gives sustain& harmonics but they sing cleaner, richer, tone-y-er. )

For me, metal tones have to make me feel, like, " YEAH! THAT'S IT! We've arrived!", like finding the right Halloween costume.
    But lots of folks want Also, id imagine the Custom are more responsive to picking: the SuperD is expressive too, but the energy flowing thru it of tweaking, but w the Mesa, youd get a quality and body to build upon, more like Angus Young.

Varg

Quote Originally Posted by Khriss Bliss View Post
    Both Maiden&GMoore (TLizzy) used Dimarzio Super Distortion in Fender Strats. Lots of UK artists back in late70s/early 80s were trying to goose the juice with these higher output pickups. I use the SuperD in a mahogany Epi SG (..ahem, special)- im very happy with the balls out attitude and chewy tone-the sustain and harmonics are easy, but have alot of attitude- not smooth. After screwing it far away from my strings, i find it very easy to dial usable tones. I dont love most Dimarzios- they remind me of a Tasmanian devil in a tuxedo- but the Super D IS that devil, naked, that they got right the first time. To a Tee, it does British Meh'-ull cuz it IS British Meh-ull (priest, def lep, vivian campbell,etc.) It is king of its own thing, but less than ideal for everything else, like clean tones, or blues.

But you have a Godin in mahogany.... With a Rectifier: from SeymDunc u should start with a Custom5, 8, or ceramic, cuz it would give your mahogany that classic rock PAF bite with a good, beefy bluesier sound.( If u try a jb or dd, expect L.A., be it hair or thrash metal- def gives sustain& harmonics but they sing cleaner, richer, tone-y-er. )

For me, metal tones have to make me feel, like, " YEAH! THAT'S IT! We've arrived!", like finding the right Halloween costume.
    But lots of folks want Also, id imagine the Custom are more responsive to picking: the SuperD is expressive too, but the energy flowing thru it of tweaking, but w the Mesa, youd get a quality and body to build upon, more like Angus Young.
    Adrian didnt use Strats for most of his early Maiden career - he used a variety of guitars (what woods they were I have no idea). And Super Ds in them too.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Adrian & Steve used lado guitars made in Canada in the eighties...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look at dean dmt pickups equalizer/nostalgia even though you have a godin guitar.
    Chris

Ultimate Tone Member PRSfan nym 1985's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I happen to really like the JB/Jazz combo I think it would be a fine starting point. Both pickups are very versatile and if you don't complete love it you could always try mag swaps (if it were me I'd want to throw UOA5 mags in both p'ups).

I've used the JB/Jazz set before in a mahogany PRS SE and was pretty happy, only reason they aren't in there is bc I got bad gas and had to throw in a set of cream p-rails.

haven't tried these before but I think a 59/jazz hybrid in the neck along with a 59/custom hybrid in the bridge would be a very versatile combo...thanks SDUGF for that gas issue
    Last edited by PRSfan nym 1985; 02-01-2012 at 10:33 PM.