Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Bad do Pickup Volume Differentials Bother you?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How Bad do Pickup Volume Differentials Bother you?

I love it. I use it for advantage and because there are complex tones that you can get precisely due to the mismatch. DCR mismatches load the coils differently, and the comb filtering effect of phase cancellation is unique. Love it love it love it!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doesn't bother me at all. The pups are matched pretty well to each other in nearly all my guitars. I've done it with pup selection, mag swaps, and pup height adjustments (inc pole piece adj).
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

I prefer to have the pickups giving equal volume. I think of the pickup selector switch as a 'tone' switch, and of course the guitars have at least one volume control to handle that side of the equation. When i switch between pickups, it's for different tones, not volumes.

What i have found with some guitars is that a bridge pickup can seem louder due to the treble cutting through more. That may mean that technically i end up with less output from the bridge, but what counts is what goes into my ears, not the theory. And my ears want to hear consistency of volume when i swap between pickups .... if i want to hear the volume jumping up and down, i can use the volume knobs for that.
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER, NO STALKING !!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ Amazing how effective volume knobs can be at changing the volume. Volume pedals are cool too, when you need your hands for other things.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like it unbalanced. 90% of the time, a gentle and nice neck ('59) and a serial killer bridge (Invader) would do it nicely for me. In the common position I like to wire them parallel to drop the volume even furhter. This way, a flick of the switch and you can turn your angel choir into a raging bull without touching the amp channel switch.

/ Er... Checking my amp... What channel switch? /

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want a slight output boost within reason when I go full bucker on the bridge from say the middle or the neck. Nothing extreme but some. I absolutely would not run a weaker bridge pickup than a neck as the bridge position is already weaker due to the lower string rotation at the bridge.
    Keep in mind that I run a single master volume on my guitars and don't use dirt boxes. I run my high end tube amps hot on the gain then roll back the guitar volume and use touch to clean up and to control my dynamics. The right balance between pickups is critical for the way I play.
    “Tolerance is the last virtue of a depraved society. When an immoral society has blatantly and proudly violated all the commandments, it insists upon one last virtue, tolerance for its immorality. It will not tolerate condemnation of its perversions. It creates a whole new world in which only the intolerant critic of intolerable evil is evil.”