Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Kluson-style locking tuners - WITHOUT the top lock

  1. #1
    Ultimate Tone Member dvadneau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Koo roo koo koo koo koo koo koooo
    Age
    40
    Posts
    393
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Kluson-style locking tuners - WITHOUT the top lock

    Anyone seen these?



    http://www.allparts.com/Locking-Tune...k-0735-001.htm


    I hadn't. I saw these before:



    http://www.wdmusic.com/product9771.html

    The difference? The first one doesn't have the locking knob on the top, or bottom for that matter. They lock by turning, like the Grover's that don't have the locking wheel at the bottom.

    That would keep the classic Kluson look but give it the locking ability as well.

    But, has anyone tried them? I'm wondering if they are decent quality and do they actually lock properly. I've read reviews of the Tonepros Kluson one's (second link) having issues with smaller gauge strings. I use 11-50 for the guitar these would be used in, so I should be alright, but I like the idea of the first ones above. I have Grover tuners, but want to change the look of my LP.

    Anyone use these?

  2. #2
    Mojo's Minions ItsaBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,531
    Likes (Given)
    500
    Likes (Received)
    1059

    Default Re: Kluson-style locking tuners - WITHOUT the top lock

    I think they are the Gotoh Magnum Lock ones. In that case, they do vary slightly from the original tuners, but they are very close. They lock automatically, but must be unlocked with a coin.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

  3. #3
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Will S-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia TUFAKENGUDOKAIMAIT!
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,194

    Default Re: Kluson-style locking tuners - WITHOUT the top lock

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    I think they are the Gotoh Magnum Lock ones. In that case, they do vary slightly from the original tuners, but they are very close. They lock automatically, but must be unlocked with a coin.
    Thats right. They also make them with height adjustable posts for 6 in line necks.

  4. #4
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    117
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: Kluson-style locking tuners - WITHOUT the top lock

    I have the gotoh ones which look just like the top ones. Like mentioned you can get a height adjustable option. I have them on one guitar and they are excellent. I have the solid post version and there is no wiggle on the posts as well. The locking mechanism is easy to use and works well. Best of all they fit in vintage holes and look 90% like the vintage kluson. I've never had any locking issues and I usually use 10's. They feel nice and smooth too!

    Tim

  5. #5
    Li'l Junior Member MetalManiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    PAUL BEARER
    Posts
    11,756
    Likes (Given)
    485
    Likes (Received)
    726

    Default Re: Kluson-style locking tuners - WITHOUT the top lock

    PITA.

  6. #6
    Ultimate Tone Member dvadneau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Koo roo koo koo koo koo koo koooo
    Age
    40
    Posts
    393
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Kluson-style locking tuners - WITHOUT the top lock

    Quote Originally Posted by timhatimay View Post
    I have the gotoh ones which look just like the top ones. Like mentioned you can get a height adjustable option. I have them on one guitar and they are excellent. I have the solid post version and there is no wiggle on the posts as well. The locking mechanism is easy to use and works well. Best of all they fit in vintage holes and look 90% like the vintage kluson. I've never had any locking issues and I usually use 10's. They feel nice and smooth too!

    Tim
    That's great to hear! I'm getting these for an Epi LP. My understanding is they would fit a Grover tuner hole if using an adapter. That'll be required in this case.

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    PITA.
    Can you be more specific?

  7. #7
    Li'l Junior Member MetalManiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    PAUL BEARER
    Posts
    11,756
    Likes (Given)
    485
    Likes (Received)
    726

    Default Re: Kluson-style locking tuners - WITHOUT the top lock

    Quote Originally Posted by dvadneau View Post
    That's great to hear! I'm getting these for an Epi LP. My understanding is they would fit a Grover tuner hole if using an adapter. That'll be required in this case.



    Can you be more specific?
    Yeah, when i tried to unlock them with a coin, the string and everything would spin around and they wouldn't unlock.
    I like the Wilkinson style vintage style tuners if I'm not going to be using nromal back screw down button lockers, but have only tried the Strat tuners. You just double wrap them and turn. A little tricky for the high strings, but they work for me.
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 01-10-2012 at 10:20 PM.

  8. #8
    Mojo's Minions ItsaBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,531
    Likes (Given)
    500
    Likes (Received)
    1059

    Default Re: Kluson-style locking tuners - WITHOUT the top lock

    Also, check out the Gotoh Website. They give you many options (such as different buttons, magnum lock, height-adjustable posts) that dealers usually don't stock, and will not bother to order for you. The only problem is that I am not sure if you can custom order directly from the maker unless you are a dealer.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    21
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Kluson-style locking tuners - WITHOUT the top lock

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    Yeah, when i tried to unlock them with a coin, the string and everything would spin around and they wouldn't unlock
    When detuning keep the coin in the slot, it'll unscrew the top without any problems. It's one more step that isn't a problem once you get the hang of it. Honestly I would rather deal with a rear thumbscrew, but the set of 510's I have are the best set of tuners I have ever used (short list including Sperzels, Schallers, Kluson, etc.).

  10. #10
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    117
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: Kluson-style locking tuners - WITHOUT the top lock

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    Also, check out the Gotoh Website. They give you many options (such as different buttons, magnum lock, height-adjustable posts) that dealers usually don't stock, and will not bother to order for you. The only problem is that I am not sure if you can custom order directly from the maker unless you are a dealer.
    You can order direct from gotoh, but you have to order from the Japanese website. I had to do this being I couldn't find the options I needed in left hand. It is not cheap or fast however to order them direct from gotoh in Japan. I really like them as I said previously. Once you learn how to string/unstring tune/detune it's a breeze.

    Tim

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •