Thread: 250k vs 500k in Telecaster

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 250k vs 500k in Telecaster

Hi - so I have been playing my Tele (Duncan 59 in the neck and Duncan JD in bridge) and I have an issue. The JD pup sounds AWESOME, but the 59 in very muddy in the neck. I was trying to figure out the issue, and I think it has to do with the 250k tone pot I used. I'm fairly sure that a 500k pot would open up the 59 nicely, but my issue is how it will affect the JD. Is there any way to solve this problem in a Tele?

I also have a (sorta) similar issue with a Lawrence L500 in the neck of my Strat... the guitar has two humbuckers and I used 500k pots, but the Lawrence is super muddy. I was thinking of trying a 1meg pot for the neck tone. Would that help, or does the L500 just suck?

Thanks!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 250k vs 500k in Telecaster

May be no need to ask this, but have you tried messing around with the polepieces? I had the same problem with a '59 in the neck a while ago and dropping the pickup but raising the polepieces totally solved my problem.
    Every love that made me lose my reasoning. Every chord that made my conscience ache. Every day spent counting hours. Well, none of them comes close to singing back a song inside my head.

I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Ultimate Tone Slacker jake_xms3_punk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

500k pots and 500k resistors for the jb pickup. the '59 will see 500k and the JB will see 250k
    our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
    'Cause all the girls are sluts,
    And the beer tastes just like piss.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jake_xms3_punk View Post
    500k pots and 500k resistors for the jb pickup. the '59 will see 500k and the JB will see 250k
    I was actually going to post something like this, but I wasn't confident enough in my electrical knowledge to know if it would work. Glad to see it does!
    Every love that made me lose my reasoning. Every chord that made my conscience ache. Every day spent counting hours. Well, none of them comes close to singing back a song inside my head.

I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure I understand. The bridge pup is a Jerry Donahue single coil. I only have one tone pot.

Lovely BIG Starologist bluesbend's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Attachment 28575

'59n and a Vintage '54 lead.
    500k pots .47 cap.
    Sounds fine.
    Last edited by bluesbend; 03-28-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Ultimate Tone Member Hagbard Celine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Though I've never tried it personally, I've seen info that with 2 500k pots a resistor in the circuit for the single coil between the switch and the volume pot causes the single coil to "see" a lower value depending on the value of the resistor used. Look at the diagram for the USA Fat Tele on the Fender site.

http://support.fender.com/service_di...0_02B_SISD.pdf
    It is possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age; but, if so, it will be necessary first to slay the dragon that guards the door, and this dragon is religion.

--Bertrand Russell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, I see what you mean. I like that a LOT. So I can use a standard 5-way with two 500k pots and add splitting capabilities as well. I'll look into that. Thanks!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found this diagram that may work with my existing 3-way.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

its always an issue when you mix hums and singles in my opinion. One of them needs to compromize , but that diagram might have some promise. You could always bypass the tone for the neck pickup to brighten it up too.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin