Thread: difference in screws ?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default difference in screws ?

Whats the main difference between philister screws and allen head screws? Tonewise ? I just picked up a dimarzio super distortion as I have never tried 1 and thought I would go out on a limb on my 59 lp build i`m working on. I had a custom with a ceramic mag in 1 of my lp`s and really didn`t care for it, I put the SuperD in just to see what it sounded like and it sounded really good even with the ceramic mag, it has double allen head screws instead of the standard slug/screw combo and none of them stick through the baseplate so am sure that makes a big difference there as well. Just curious as to what to expect if I put the short allenheads in my PGB ?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: difference in screws ?

Allenheads are more focussed than filisters. They will give you a more trebly tone with more bite, especially if they are short. Filisters will give a softer tone with more mids. The length also plays a roll as well...shorter will be more focused.

These differences are small and subtle, but if you are fine tuning your tone, they are a helpful tool.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: difference in screws ?

thanks Doc,,I very much appreciate the info.