Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

  1. #1
    Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brighton, England.
    Posts
    2,449
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    71

    Default LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    Further to my thread about LP Studios, my biggest local retailer sells Studios for around £1200 but the faded series go for half that price.

    What's your opinion on the faded series ?

    The fadeds all seem to have Burstbucker Pros (which I've never used) whereas the non-fadeds have the 490/498 set which I would probably have to replace straight away.

    In my other thread a lot of you said that you feel that the main differences between a Studio and a full blown LP are largely cosmetic. My local shop has some LP models going for more than £6000. Now SURELY there has to be a tonal difference between two guitars where one costs TEN TIMES the other ? Or not ?

  2. #2
    Toneologist Push to Shuv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Age
    28
    Posts
    833
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    The Studio Fadeds are great guitars. Another model worth looking at are the Studio Tributes, roughly the same price and similar specs to the Studio Faded but come in more traditional colors.
    Gibson Les Pauls
    Epiphone Sheraton II
    ReWind PAF clones
    Vintage acoustics

  3. #3
    Varg
    Guest

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    I have a Faded and I like it a LOT, they are well worth the money. I didnt like the BB Pros myself, but you can sell them for a good price (over £100) and get a set of used Duncans for a lot less than that, so you cant lose.
    I have a Super D/PAF set in mine just now.

  4. #4
    Saucy Plebe Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    47
    Posts
    26,165
    Likes (Given)
    525
    Likes (Received)
    3392

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    Quote Originally Posted by richard parker View Post
    Further to my thread about LP Studios, my biggest local retailer sells Studios for around £1200 but the faded series go for half that price.

    What's your opinion on the faded series ?

    The fadeds all seem to have Burstbucker Pros (which I've never used) whereas the non-fadeds have the 490/498 set which I would probably have to replace straight away.

    In my other thread a lot of you said that you feel that the main differences between a Studio and a full blown LP are largely cosmetic. My local shop has some LP models going for more than £6000. Now SURELY there has to be a tonal difference between two guitars where one costs TEN TIMES the other ? Or not ?
    Studio faded is Gibson's excuse to basically not finish a guitar. They will feel different. You may or may not like it.

    And if you think Gibson wouldn't sell you a crap sounding low QA guitar for 6k and an another amazing sounding one for, whatever. you know nothing of this company.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

  5. #5
    Mojo's Minions GuitarDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calif
    Age
    67
    Posts
    8,803
    Likes (Given)
    92
    Likes (Received)
    411

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    "And if you think Gibson wouldn't sell you a crap sounding low QA guitar for 6k and an another amazing sounding one for, whatever. you know nothing of this company."


    Absolutely true. As far as I'm concerned, from my own experience, quality with Gibson is a crap shoot.

    Go to a store and play a few LPs, you'll see what I'm (and Ace) talking about. But you can find some excellent sounding/playing/looking Studios.

    I happen to really like the BB Pros pups. They're nice and bright with solid bass (not flabby or mushy) and chunky with a good eq, not terribly scooped, good output, and some nice bite.

    But as with any pup, it depends A LOT on the guitar/wood that it is in. I think Studios are your best deal for your buck.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

  6. #6
    Mojo's Minions ItsaBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,784
    Likes (Given)
    539
    Likes (Received)
    1114

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    Half the price and IMO better pickups. Buy used and save even more. And I think the faded studios look better than the gloss studios anyhow. To my eyes, the lack of binding works better with the flat paint. Almost any Gibson will require a setup and possibly some detailing and fretwork. They are definitely sorely lacking in TLC as they come from the factory.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-28-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

  7. #7
    Mojo's Minions GuitarDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calif
    Age
    67
    Posts
    8,803
    Likes (Given)
    92
    Likes (Received)
    411

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    Quote Originally Posted by Push to Shuv View Post
    The Studio Fadeds are great guitars. Another model worth looking at are the Studio Tributes, roughly the same price and similar specs to the Studio Faded but come in more traditional colors.
    Plus, with the tribute you can get gold top with P-90's! For under $850. They are the satin finish, but if you want gloss on the top it's not hard to spray on some gloss nitro to make it look like a deluxe.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

  8. #8
    Varg
    Guest

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    Half the price and IMO better pickups. Buy used and save even more. And I think the faded studios look better than the gloss studios anyhow. To my eyes, the lack of binding works better with the flat paint. Almost any Gibson will require a setup and possibly some detailing and fretwork. They are definitely sorely lacking in TLC as they come from the factory.
    Yeah Im with you on the lack of binding working better on the Faded finish, it just doesnt stand out as much as it does on the glossy models.
    As for them needing fretwork - Ive had dozens of guitars over the years, and the Faded Studio is one of the most expensive. Its also the only one Ive felt really NEEDS the frets crowned as theyre so square theyre actually a little painful to play on at times! Its a fantastic guitar, and I love it, but Im surprised all those cheapo guitars I had over the years could come with the frets in a better state than a Gibson. It was bought second hand too, you would think the previous owner would have sorted it!

  9. #9
    Saucy Plebe Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    47
    Posts
    26,165
    Likes (Given)
    525
    Likes (Received)
    3392

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    I'm officially in the buy used school forever until they get their act together. Actually, I'm in the buy Dean school...I wouldn't say the quality is a crap shoot, but for 2700 extra it should be 101% guaranteed - which it isn't. and that extra 2700 is for 99.6% bling factor.

    But Les Pauls vary a lot. Any two studios, any two standards, and studio and standard. Yes - they are all generally thick darker mid pushed guitars...but they have a wide range. Much wider than strats I'd say.

    Go play some - you'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

  10. #10
    Toneologist Push to Shuv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Age
    28
    Posts
    833
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Plus, with the tribute you can get gold top with P-90's! For under $850. They are the satin finish, but if you want gloss on the top it's not hard to spray on some gloss nitro to make it look like a deluxe.
    I have a honeyburst with humbuckers and LOVE it. Im gassing for a p90 goldtop tribute now!
    Gibson Les Pauls
    Epiphone Sheraton II
    ReWind PAF clones
    Vintage acoustics

  11. #11
    Ultimate Tone Slacker guitarkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stockton, Missouri
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,906
    Likes (Given)
    106
    Likes (Received)
    35

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    I think that most of them are great guitars for the money. When I bought mine, I spent the day going to every shop in my area and playing every Les Paul that was in my price range. Some of them were awesome, but some were just awful too. I made sure that I went home with the best one, and I really like it. I don't know about all of the faded studios, but mine is pretty bright, and the BB Pros were just WAY too bright for the guitar (even with .047 caps). I love the BB Pros, but they just didn't work for this guitar. I have a C8/59n in mine now and it sounds great! So I would say to go and play a bunch of them and see how you like them.
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

  12. #12
    Varg
    Guest

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    Quote Originally Posted by guitarkid View Post
    I don't know about all of the faded studios, but mine is pretty bright, and the BB Pros were just WAY too bright for the guitar

    Cool, youre the only person Ive read saying that, but its exactly how I found mine too. The BB Pros were just ear piercing, had to change them out and its a shame, I really wanted to like them.

  13. #13
    Mojo's Minions ItsaBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,784
    Likes (Given)
    539
    Likes (Received)
    1114

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    It's easy enough to get Burstbuckers, or any brighter pickups, to be darker. You just raise them, and modify your tone pot and cap so that they become usable. Not so easy to do it the other way around (making a dark guitar brighter). I like BBs because they are bright enough, but without being too bright. And because they inherently have good definition, they don't go too muddy if you take steps to make them sound darker.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

  14. #14
    Saucy Plebe Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    47
    Posts
    26,165
    Likes (Given)
    525
    Likes (Received)
    3392

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    Not a fan of the Pro's in general. The rest of the BB is cool, but way over priced when i can get PG's for < $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

  15. #15
    Mojo's Minions ItsaBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,784
    Likes (Given)
    539
    Likes (Received)
    1114

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    I am actually a fan of the BB V/Pro more than I am of the 1, 2, and 3. I have enough trouble getting AV humbucker pickups to sound bright enough for me in a Paul. When I had AII pickups in there it was far too muddy for me.

    OTOH, I like that same set of '57 Classics a lot in my SG. I still had to take steps to brighten them up, but at least I could get them sounding good, unlike when I had them in my Paul.

    Maybe my hearing is just going, going...
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

  16. #16
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sand Land
    Posts
    236
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    If you look at the specs you'll find that other than pick ups and cosmetics all of these Gibson LP's are pretty much the same guitars and there is nothing really magical about them. Unless you are dead set on owning the logo there are far better choices coming out of Korea than Gibson. I'm not lauding Agile per se. All of the Les Paul style guitars coming out of Korea are made in the same two or three factories and with a pick up change are nothing less than superb. In my opinion far better than any Gibson Studio or Standard for that matter.

    I know that with shipping and taxes the Agile is probably a non starter but there must be an importer of Korean LP's in Britain that you might want to check out.. Don't know if the tax situation for you would be more favorable but Prestige guitars out of Canada I believe are produced by the same maker as Agile. They come with Seymour Duncan pickups and run in the GBP 441 range.

    If you disregaurd myth hype and legend and look strictly at the specs and workmanship you'll find that the Korean LP's beat out the Studios hands down.





    PRESTIGE HERITAGE STANDARD


  17. #17
    Varg
    Guest

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    That doesnt look like a Les Paul though.

  18. #18
    Mojo's Minions KeeperOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,287
    Likes (Given)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    90

    Default Re: LES PAUL STUDIO FADED

    ^ Could have fooled me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay View Post
    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by That90'sGuy View Post
    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •