Thread: What do out-of-phase humbuckers sound like? Double-checking my wiring...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What do out-of-phase humbuckers sound like? Double-checking my wiring...

I ask this because after I swapped out the bridge pickup BB #3 for a DDn8, in the middle positions of the 5-way wiring the sounds are really thin and quacky. I'm guessing it's because I have a PGb (bridge pickup) in the neck and a DDn8 (neck pickup) in the bridge. Am I right or am I wrong? I'm wondering if I did something different on the switch this time, but I kinda know I didn't.

The way it sounds is fine with me because I never use both 'buckers at the same time anyway, but I'm wondering what's going on.

Varg

Default Re: What do out-of-phase humbuckers sound like? Double-checking my wiring...

The fact theyre bridge or neck pickups makes no difference. Five way switch? Why?

But yeah, I would say theyre out of phase, just switch the ground/hot leads on one of them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What do out-of-phase humbuckers sound like? Double-checking my wiring...

could be you put the magnet in wrong

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    could be you put the magnet in wrong
    Ahhh! Probably.......

Will this change the pickup's tone when it's selected by itself or only relative to the other?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it will sound the same by itself, only sound wonky with another pup

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's the best way to get a middle position that I actually enjoy using! I normally avoid the middle position like the plague, as it is so boring and gutless. But with a magnet flipped, and/or with one pickup being much stronger than the other, there is a great cocked wah sound that, while not something I'd want on everything, at least has some personality and makes the middle position something I actually want to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    It's the best way to get a middle position that I actually enjoy using! I normally avoid the middle position like the plague, as it is so boring and gutless. But with a magnet flipped, and/or with one pickup being much stronger than the other, there is a great cocked wah sound that, while not something I'd want on everything, at least has some personality and makes the middle position something I actually want to use.
    QFT - couldn't agree more.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the same out of phase issue on my Akerfeldt. I swapped the bridge PU for a Custom Custom, which by the way smokes! I left the Neck PU stock. Now it's OOP in the middle slot. If I flip the magnet, do I just change the orientation front to back, or flip the magnet upside down? Or does it flip the phase either way. Great forum, you guys have already been a huge help in my tone quests! KG

Varg

Quote Originally Posted by Rory61 View Post
    I have the same out of phase issue on my Akerfeldt. I swapped the bridge PU for a Custom Custom, which by the way smokes! I left the Neck PU stock. Now it's OOP in the middle slot. If I flip the magnet, do I just change the orientation front to back, or flip the magnet upside down? Or does it flip the phase either way. Great forum, you guys have already been a huge help in my tone quests! KG

You dont need to flip magnets, just change the hot and ground wires on the Custom Custom.

Ultimate Kitten Puncher King IzzO)))'s Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I wire all my guitars OOP in the middle.

I can't believe it's taken you a year to try that DDn A8.
    HAIL HYDRA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by King IzzO))) View Post
    I can't believe it's taken you a year to try that DDn A8.
    haha