Thread: YJM Fury's and Rosewood

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default YJM Fury's and Rosewood

I was wondering if anybody here has tried the YJM Fury pickups in a rosewood Strat. I think the bass response is quite high on those, and if I recall correctly when I installed them in a Malmsteen Strat that had a rosewood fingerboard they were incredibly bassy.

Are they the kind of pickups that really do need to be in a maple Strat?

Mojo's Minions
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: YJM Fury's and Rosewood

Well, they are voiced for Malmsteen's maple neck strats and very high gain. If you have those two elements I guess they'll sound the best.

However - there was a thread in the last couple of months where soundclips of strats with all combos of Ash/Alder bodies and maple/rosewood fretboards were played with the same pickups. To my ears I only heard any real difference when the body wood was changed. If I'd not known about the change of fingerboard material then its doubtful if I'd have picked much/any difference with the fretboard wood (remembering that the rest of the neck is maple too).

I've had a set of YJM's, and for how I play strats (blues/rock) they sounded a bit dull - but to be fair to them this is NOT their design brief.

And of course, each person's playing is different - you might pull more low-end from anything you try compared with the next player.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's a little snap to the attack from maple that's lost (or at least truncated) on the rosewood. Here's the way I see it: The YJM Fury has just a bit more bite and presence than the old YJM or HS-3. So I feel like the HS-3 in maple is like the YJM Fury in rosewood.

If you're talking about a scalloped strat that's one thing. If you've got a superstrat with a Floyd rose (which sounds thinner than a strat trem) that's another reason the YJM Fury would be fine with rosewood.

Yngwie uses 250k pots. You could also bump it up to 500k for rosewood.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember,he always use Marshall with full treble so that's one thing to consider.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find the Fury to have quite a bit more low end than the YJM or HS-3; I don't know if I'd consider it muddy though. I personally find the Furys to be sensitve to adjustment. Maybe backing down the bass side of the pup would help? Also, IIRC, YJM bypasses the tone pots which will change the tone a bit too, along with a scalloped board and a brass nut.
    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have them in my Fender Yngwie strat with maple fingerboard. Even with maple they sound a bit bassy but nowhere near unusable. To me they just sound fuller. I like them very much.

I too have experienced that the fretboard material doesn't affect the sound that much. I'd say it affects the "feel" of the notes rather than the actual tone. The initial attack is snappier on maple fretboards.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelous_seven View Post
    Remember,he always use Marshall with full treble so that's one thing to consider.
    Well he uses pretty much EVERYTHING ON FULL, including treble.

But the amp makes a huge difference of course. I've played they Yngwie strat through an EVH III amp and a Marshall JVM410 and they sounded way better with the Marshall (obviously) because it has more treble and mid-range than the EVH III which is quite bassy amp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Hyneman
    When in doubt... C4
    "Biologists think they are biochemists,
    Biochemists think they are Physical Chemists,
    Physical Chemists think they are Physicists,
    Physicists think they are Gods,
    And God thinks he is a Mathematician."

"Physicists defer only to mathematicians, mathematicians defer only to God."