Thread: Ran my first half-marathon yesterday.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ran my first half-marathon yesterday.

I've been delaying any kind of posts on this subject until I actually ran it so that I didn't end up wimping out and not doing it.

I left for Birmingham, AL Saturday and crashed at a fraternity brother's apartment that evening. Woke up at 4:30 in the morning, ate breakfast, packed up and headed into the city proper to stretch and attempt to warm up in sub 30°F weather. I lined up with my pace group (which I, very satisfactorily, left behind me as the race progressed), and we all got started at 7:03 that morning.

By mile 3 I didn't even know it was cold. It was tough, but thoroughly invigorating. Mile 13 was the toughest thing I've ever done physically in my entire life. I'm extremely happy to have done it and I'm looking forward to races in the future.

I still don't know how I let my fraternity brother convince me to train and run this race, but I'm very glad I did. I'm a big guy. I'm in pretty good shape, but a big guy none the less, and to have completed that race at my size makes me very hopeful for future success as the weight continues to drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakob Dylan
    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Here's to what Ale's ya! Arkitkt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ran my first half-marathon yesterday.

Congratulations!

(I'm running my 6th one in March)

Congrats! It's always awesome when you can pick a goal and through sheer determination/willpower just make it happen. What height/weight are you? Did the weight cause any knee problems for you during the run?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    Congrats! It's always awesome when you can pick a goal and through sheer determination/willpower just make it happen. What height/weight are you? Did the weight cause any knee problems for you during the run?
    I'm 5'10" and 245 lbs or so. I was nearer to 280 a few months ago. I was still in decent shape for my size, as I've always have a problem with excess weight. I'm really taking the battle to my weight problems though and intend on this year being the one that sees me finally get to my goal weight and stay there.

The weight didn't really cause any problems during the race. My knees are a little sore today, but not really anything unreasonable based one what I've read and asked other runners. I have a slight pain in my right foot right where I land the most often probably caused by the constant weight hitting it in shoes that, while great for shorter runs, may not have been as great a choice for a half marathon.

My goal weight is below 210 and I wanna hit it this year. My diet has undergone a major overhaul. I've always been active though. Football (backyard variety), basketball, weight lifting, moderate jogging (I've run a few 5k's in the past). I think this year I can make it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakob Dylan
    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.