Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Cheap Amp Head Out there?

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Best Cheap Amp Head Out there?

Used or New, Digital, Solid State, Hybrid, or Tube, Full Size or Mini, current or classic.

What, in your opinion, is the best value in an amp head for playing rock to heavy metal?

What's it cost? Why is it a great amp and a great value?
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Best Cheap Amp Head Out there?

It's gonna be real hard to beat a Peavy Windsor for rock with maybe a Boss SD-1 in front for heavier tones...

I don't know I I'd try to do a world tour without a backup but those things sell for less than 3 bills all the time and for a 100 watt tube head thats a deal...
    Proudly Klon free!

Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By 'cheap' I am assuming you mean 'inexpensive', not 'shoddily built'.

Bumbox Lead 1! Made right here in the US by a boutique builder, practical for everything save gigging; great tone; incredible value.

Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My BLOG, wherein I discuss music recording and the creative process.
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

Ultimate Tone Slacker IanBallard's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't discount the Fender Mustang for value and good tones. The Mustang V sounds great through the Celestion 4x12 cab. The whole deal goes for less than $500 new. Plus, it's going to be more reliable for gigging, than tube heads.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by IanBallard View Post
    it's going to be more reliable for gigging, than tube heads.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

look no further

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post
    Yeah, kinda wondering about that too.

Ian - what are you basing that on ?
    Well... solid state/digital doesn't blow fuses, blow caps, tubes or other things. Even as a drummer, I used to carry hoards of fuses and other amp stuff, because it was routine in a heavy-gigging band, for tube amps to crap out from time to time. Are we seriously going to deny that tube amps are less reliable than solid state? I'm not saying I am against tubes... I love them but those idea that tube amps, no matter what the brand are going to be reliable night after night during hardcore nightly gigging playing loud rock, without having an amp tech touring with you is itself pure

You're going to have to spend some money to find a really well-engineered and designed tube amp that has the reliability necessary.

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by IanBallard View Post
    Well... solid state/digital doesn't blow fuses, blow caps, tubes or other things. Even as a drummer, I used to carry hoards of fuses and other amp stuff, because it was routine in a heavy-gigging band, for tube amps to crap out from time to time. Are we seriously going to deny that tube amps are less reliable than solid state? I'm not saying I am against tubes... I love them but those idea that tube amps, no matter what the brand are going to be reliable night after night during hardcore nightly gigging playing loud rock, without having an amp tech touring with you is itself pure

You're going to have to spend some money to find a really well-engineered and designed tube amp that has the reliability necessary.
    Solid state amps usually just blow! ;o)
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All of $156 new in the box...

Clean:

Drive:

15 watt all tube 2 channel head...

Great value for $156...

I just ordered one with an empty 2x12 cab (additional $50) + $220 shipping from China...

...can't wait to check it out
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~ Yngwie J Malmsteen

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
    Solid state amps usually just blow! ;o)
    Well, I was referring to modelling amps, not old fashioned SS amps. That's certainly your opinion and we all have them, but when somebody suggests "cheap amp heads", I simply suggested a very versatile amp head that is fairly inexpensive, provides you with tons of tonal possibilities and won't blow up when you crank it night after night. You aren't going to find a "reliable and cheap" tube head, very easily. Maybe a Jet City. That would be my second choice.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dude, a sh!tty amp is a sh!itty amp, regardless of technology. If ANY amp 'bows up' just by playing it loud either you a) are exceeding the amp's capabilities and the fault is YOUR OWN, not the amp's or b) bought a cheap piece of crap.

To catagorically state that one amp technology is inherently more reliable is nonsense.

You seem like a nice guy, I don't want to get into w you, but your statement was silly in the first instance.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bassman are good deals if you likes blues/classic rock.

Really... I got mine for $570 shipped and it sounds great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar
    All energy is only borrowed and one day you have to give it back.

For a modeler, look for one of the Vox AD100VT heads. They go for crazy low prices now. I love my AD50VT combo. Killer tones can be had.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
    Dude, a sh!tty amp is a sh!itty amp, regardless of technology. If ANY amp 'bows up' just by playing it loud either you a) are exceeding the amp's capabilities and the fault is YOUR OWN, not the amp's or b) bought a cheap piece of crap.

To catagorically state that one amp technology is inherently more reliable is nonsense.

You seem like a nice guy, I don't want to get into w you, but your statement was silly in the first instance.
    I will back this entirely.

If something is well built regardless of whether its SS or valve it will be just as reliable.

Another point is if say a valve goes dodgy its a quick replacement if something goes wrong with a SS amp live you are screwed.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For new amps, Jet City is knocking the bang-for-the-buck thing out of the park right now. Good tones, and simple to use, very well made for the price.

Also, I agree with Bassman amps. Real good stuff for way less than $1000. Music Man amp heads also fit into the same zone...they come up for around the same prices all the time, and sound every bit as good as the Fenders.

You could also do a lot worse than a Sovtek Mig 50 or the Midget Mig.
    Last edited by guitfiddle; 02-19-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Bullet Proof Toneologist kevlar3000's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Traynor Bassmaster is tough to beat 350.00-500.00 Ugliest looking Plexi ever made, thus the price
    Laney Pro Tube is a crazy bang for the buck 200.00 -500.00. Been waiting for a decade for them to jump in price, they have not! JCM 800, really shine with a couple tweaks

Univox B series, 300-400.00 Great medium gain rock amps, cool 70s cosmetics.

Silvertone 1483 and 1484 heads, great low watt grind, the stock market on these rises and crashes frequently, which means you can buy low if you are patient...

Early SF Fender, Bassman killer grind for about 500.00 give or take....

Vintage SS amps, PV, SUNN, Unicord all grind, all cheap, all ugly. My kinda amp!

Bullet Proof Toneologist kevlar3000's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    It's gonna be real hard to beat a Peavy Windsor for rock with maybe a Boss SD-1 in front for heavier tones...

I don't know I I'd try to do a world tour without a backup but those things sell for less than 3 bills all the time and for a 100 watt tube head thats a deal...
    I have seen many under 200.00 on Craigslist, cool heads, much like their VTM and Butcher heritage..

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kevlar3000 View Post
    I have seen many under 200.00 on Craigslist, cool heads, much like their VTM and Butcher heritage..
    I was skeptical about the Butcher, from the name and the fact that Peavey made it. Well, when I got to play an old one, I tried to get a bad sound out of it, and couldn't. Totally changed my view of them.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Ultimate Tone Slacker woemoejack's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Jet City jca20 head is an incredible value because of its size and tone capabilities. Theyve even got the newer version jca22 with a tube buffered serial effects loop and footswitchable overdrive channel. Enough overdrive on tap do most any style of rock. Jet City gets my vote.
    Beer me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i like my head for cleanz. Perfect for getting any kind of clean tone, you just need some reverb, as loud as a PA with a much softer, more malleable EQ and notch!
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker