Thread: Rockfield pickups

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rockfield pickups

Does anyone know if this company is now completely defunct?

I remember a few years ago, BC Rich was throwing them in their guitars. In particular, the Rockfield Mafia set in the Mockingbirds. Some of the best ceramics I've ever heard.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Rockfield pickups

http://www.rockfieldpickups.com/
    they are still around
    fans of the tone zone would love this one
    http://www.rockfieldpickups.com/fat_ass.html

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great pickups, but you can only get them in B.C.Rich guitars now...they are not sold separately anymore.

I've got a brand new set of their SWC (Select Wound Custom) pickups in Chrome if you're interested.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by masta' c View Post
    Great pickups, but you can only get them in B.C.Rich guitars now...they are not sold separately anymore.

I've got a brand new set of their SWC (Select Wound Custom) pickups in Chrome if you're interested.
    clint you need to score a dean or dimarzio schenker bridge pup so i can buy it from ya! LOL!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The website is still up, but I e-mailed Todd Rockfield for a distributor, and his e-mail is down. Looks like the page hasn't been updated since like '09.

I can't find any sites that still sell them just googling.

I remember when Paul from guitarworld reviewed the Mockingbird Exotic Classic Bich and Mockingbird and the Mafia set was in them.

They were like underwound ceramics. Amazing sounding.

I found a few international distributors but they only carry the SWV and SWC sets.

I'm a lot more interested in the Turbo and Mafia sets as neither Duncan nor DiMarzio winds anything like them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9unslin9er View Post
    The website is still up, but I e-mailed Todd Rockfield for a distributor, and his e-mail is down. Looks like the page hasn't been updated since like '09.

I remember when Paul from guitarworld reviewed the Mockingbird Exotic Classic Bich and Mockingbird and the Mafia set was in them.

They were like underwound ceramics. Amazing sounding.

I found a few international distributors but they only carry the SWV and SWC sets.

I'm a lot more interested in the Turbo and Mafia sets as neither Duncan nor DiMarzio winds anything like them.
    Well, that is quite interesting, we can find them in music stores here in my home town (in Brazil), where everything is harder to be found :-(

Anyway, I friend of mine bought a Mafia for his cheap HSS yamaha. I must say I was quite impressed. Mafia sounds very nice, maybe a little too much mids for old thrash metal, but a very nice pickup, especially considering its reduced price. I didn't like the fatass very much though. Maybe an Invader fan might like the fatass.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Haha, well tell the store owner to put them on eBay so I can buy them!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

http://www.rockfieldpickups.com/dealers.html

Form all p'ups makers WHY Rockfield? There are asian-made, you know?
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hunter View Post
    clint you need to score a dean or dimarzio schenker bridge pup so i can buy it from ya! LOL!
    I was just looking at reviews for the Dean schenker. It sounded promising. You ever heard one?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gplayerzzz View Post
    I was just looking at reviews for the Dean schenker. It sounded promising. You ever heard one?
    Just mike using them in his dean V

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak View Post
    http://www.rockfieldpickups.com/dealers.html

Form all p'ups makers WHY Rockfield? There are asian-made, you know?
    I'm Asian-made. So I don't tend to discriminate where things are manufactured.

I don't honestly know why I like them. I know they're considered lower-end OEM pickups, but I just remembered hearing them a few years ago when I was inflicted with a serious GAS bout

I just hear some awesome overtones in the Mafia series that I don't hear in Duncans or DiMarzios. I'm not a diehard fan of any company, which is why I like to experiment with these independent winders. Some of them have really great ears and deserve a shot.
    Last edited by 9unslin9er; 02-20-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hunter View Post
    Just mike using them in his dean V
    Thats cool. I would like to try it, the Equalizer and Tyrannt.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm Asian-made. So I don't tend to discriminate where things are manufactured.

I don't honestly know why I like them. I know they're considered lower-end OEM pickups, but I just remembered hearing them a few years ago when I was inflicted with a serious GAS bout

I just hear some awesome overtones in the Mafia series that I don't hear in Duncans or DiMarzios. I'm not a diehard fan of any company, which is why I like to experiment with these independent winders. Some of them have really great ears and deserve a shot.
    I heard them in a Michael Kelly, and it did sound pretty good. Like you, I have tried pups from different companys.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Rockfield Mafia bridge is the only pickup that made my Jackson "Kevin Bond" signature Rhoads do everything I needed it to! I went through quite a few pickups in that thing...mostly Duncans, though.

I will admit that there's nothing particularly special about the pickup and they don't work with everything I have tried them in. The Mafias/Turbos are wound to ~11K with Ceramic mags and a double row of hex poles. Not sure about the wire, but I'm guessing niether the wire nor the wind is anything fancy. These are budget-oriented pickups, but definitely some of best that fall under that heading.

If B.C.Rich has a user forum, you may be able to score a set someone removed from their guitar...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also, I was checking out similarly spec'd pickups when I was looking for another Mafia and the DiMarzio "D Activator-X Neck" looked like it might be really interesting in the bridge!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My favorite shop is the Michael Kelly dealer and they carry them. Really great pickups for the money. My Michael Kelly came with a SWC set and TBH, the only reason I swapped the bridge was because I wanted sth hotter. Never really felt any need to change the neck though, really great sounding. I've also tried and liked a lot the Fat Ass and Mafia pickups.

Well, I still like me some SDs (and the occasional boutique pu like Tom Anderson and Suhr) but they are really decent for the money. No, scratch that, they are pretty good, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay View Post
    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by That90'sGuy View Post
    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also, I was checking out similarly spec'd pickups when I was looking for another Mafia and the DiMarzio "D Activator-X Neck" looked like it might be really interesting in the bridge!
    I concur sir, if I can't get my hands on a set of Mafias, I'm just going to get a set of D Activator X's. I thought the regular D Activators were entirely too trebly, but the new rail versions have a lot of grunt.

Part of the awesome factor of the Rockfields was the price. They used to go for anywhere from $40-$60 compared to the $90 for each DMZ.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Mafias/Turbos are wound to ~11K with Ceramic mags.
    Per their site, the Mafia IS the Turbo, just with ceramic magnets. The Turbo has A5 mags in it. I have a set of Mafia pickups that I took out of the twelve string in my Bich doubleneck, and they sounded terrible in my Turser Les Paul no matter what magnet I tried, but really, really killer in my Agile AL-2000 when I used it as a test axe. The best tone with that guitar was A2 in the neck, and A8 in the bridge. I'm going to be putting them back in the twelve and installing push/pull pots to take advantage of the coil splitting--if I ever get around to it!
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.