Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Les Paul?

Ultimate Tone Slacker guitarkid's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Which Les Paul?

Hey everyone,

I have finally decided to start selling off some of my mid level guitars and get one, nice Les Paul.

I have been looking at SEVERAL different models that would be in my price range, and out of the ones I am looking at, I was just curious as to which one YOU would prefer and why? And I will most likely be buying used, unless I find a good deal on a new one.

The Gibson Les Pauls that I am considering are:

-Traditional
    -Traditionl Pro
    -Traditional Plus
    -Standard
    -Older Classic
    -Classic Plus
    -Classic Custom
    -(..maybe others I haven't thought of...)

Also, there is a nice PRS SC245 Goldtop for sale locally for a good price with a set of Antiquitys and the stock 245 pickups.

I aslo thought of maybe some Edwards LP's or other Japanese LP copys...

Or maybe you have some other suggestions...?
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLivingDead View Post
    H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthejester13 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Mojo's Minions Christopher Caruana's Avatar
    the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Which Les Paul?

Well being a Les Paul player myself. Ive owned 2 so far in my history of playing guitar.....My 1st Gibson les paul was an '03 Les Paul Classic that I got used in '04. It was an awesome guitar and it sounded awesome. It was on the heavier side on 9 lbs since it had those weight holes in it and wasnt chambered. I ended up selling it and I got am '09 Les Paul Custom last summer which is also awesome and around 10.5 lbs. If I had to pick on from that list, Id go with either the regular traditional or a trad plus. They are not chambered, but rather weight relieved. A lot of ppl ive heard have negative things to say about the chambered ones. Or if you can, I'd save your money and get a custom shop model.....like a custom or something

My best advise would be to gather your cash and head to a guitar center or something and try out every les paul model you can and walk out with the one you fit best with because neck size and all that play a role too and what person A or person B would like, might not be what you would like
    2013 EVH Wolfgang USA HT
    1989 PRS custom 24 10 top
    1986 Laney AOR "Pro Tube" 100MV
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whats your budget??
    Proudly Klon free!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Used r7/8.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whichever one SOUNDS and FEELS best. At the end of the day they are all mahogany/maple with rosewood fretboards in 24 3/4 scale dual bucker guitars. Most of the differences are so minor as to not matter and mostly visual.

You could get an R8 with dark dead wood, or a studio with maple cut from Jesus' breakfast table. You just never know. Way more complex construction than a strat....

Get the cash, and play/look until you find THE ONE.

I found THE ONE just on a lark walking out of a Sam Ash. But when i felt it, I knew.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gilaltom3 View Post
    Yeah I've seen those. They seem pretty cool, but I prefer gloss finish, and it just seems like it would be close the the Faded Studio that I already have and am selling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Caruana View Post
    Well being a Les Paul player myself. Ive owned 2 so far in my history of playing guitar.....My 1st Gibson les paul was an '03 Les Paul Classic that I got used in '04. It was an awesome guitar and it sounded awesome. It was on the heavier side on 9 lbs since it had those weight holes in it and wasnt chambered. I ended up selling it and I got am '09 Les Paul Custom last summer which is also awesome and around 10.5 lbs. If I had to pick on from that list, Id go with either the regular traditional or a trad plus. They are not chambered, but rather weight relieved. A lot of ppl ive heard have negative things to say about the chambered ones. Or if you can, I'd save your money and get a custom shop model.....like a custom or something

My best advise would be to gather your cash and head to a guitar center or something and try out every les paul model you can and walk out with the one you fit best with because neck size and all that play a role too and what person A or person B would like, might not be what you would like
    Ok thanks. Yeah I plan on trying out many! I actually have a Les Paul Faded Studio right now, but I'm just not getting along with the chambered body. Its not bad at all, but its just not for me. That's why I am wanting something different. So nothing with a chambered body. I actually don't mind how heavy it is at all, so bring on the boat anchors!! Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    Whats your budget??
    It will probably be around $1,400-1,800.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Used r7/8.
    That will probably be a little out of my budget...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Whichever one SOUNDS and FEELS best. At the end of the day they are all mahogany/maple with rosewood fretboards in 24 3/4 scale dual bucker guitars. Most of the differences are so minor as to not matter and mostly visual.

You could get an R8 with dark dead wood, or a studio with maple cut from Jesus' breakfast table. You just never know. Way more complex construction than a strat....

Get the cash, and play/look until you find THE ONE.

I found THE ONE just on a lark walking out of a Sam Ash. But when i felt it, I knew.
    Thanks for the advice! I plan on hitting as many shops as I can. The only shop that really stocks Gibson around here though, is GC.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well if you dont want a chambered body, and are lookin at around 1400-1800 id look into getting a used classic or used std (pre '07). I think gibson started chambering the LP's after '07. You can get a nice used LP for that price range, just gotta look
    2013 EVH Wolfgang USA HT
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The new standards and classic customs are both chambered. The traditionals (regular, pro and plus) are not, they are weight relieve (which I like better)
    2013 EVH Wolfgang USA HT
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could get an R8 with dark dead wood .
    You have a infinitely greater chance of that problem with any production level guitar. They do reserve the absolute best wood for the custom shop, it goes through better processes priorto construction,and you dont need to build the guitar first to determine if the wood is high quality tonally.

That said, good is good, and some nice instruments can be had from even the least expensive gibson if one has the wherewithal to find them.

But if im betting, ill go historic evrry single time. Your average historic is a higher quality guitar than the absolute tightest production guitar gibson can produce.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

I'd be looking at a Traditional Pro in ebony. Top of the list. Played a handful locally and my bandmate's a bunch of times. After giving his a good setup, it plays like butter and sounds great. I have serious GAS for one.

Just go out and play a bunch that fit your budget. Don't worry about its construction and all that other crap folks go nuts over. Use your ears and your gut. You'll find the right one.
    Last edited by ErikH; 02-22-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could get an R8 with dark dead wood,

or a studio with maple cut from Jesus' breakfast table.

You just never know.

Way more complex construction than a strat....
    Those are all just wrong and misleading statements.
    Proudly Klon free!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by guitarkid View Post
    It will probably be around $1,400-1,800.
    If you're ready to dump $1800 save a tad more and get a LOT more guitar with a used 57 or 58 Historic or VOS...

I have seen used 57's sell recently in the 2000-2200 range and thats a LOT of guitar for just a little more than 1800.
    Proudly Klon free!

In a sunny place for shady people, Central Ohio
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those Trad Pros are a heck of a deal and the best Les Paul "bang for the buck" you will find in my opinion......look for used! $1400ish....
    Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well if you dont want a chambered body, and are lookin at around 1400-1800 id look into getting a used classic or used std (pre '07). I think gibson started chambering the LP's after '07. You can get a nice used LP for that price range, just gotta look
    I've been seeing a lot of those for good prices.
    The new standards and classic customs are both chambered. The traditionals (regular, pro and plus) are not, they are weight relieve (which I like better)
    Oh really? I didn't know that. I played a wine red Classic Custom in Nashville on the weekend, and it was heavy. Probably 11 pounds or more. I would have never thought it was chambered.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    I'd be looking at a Traditional Pro in ebony. Top of the list. Played a handful locally and my bandmate's a bunch of times. After giving his a good setup, it plays like butter and sounds great. I have serious GAS for one.

Just go out and play a bunch that fit your budget. Don't worry about its construction and all that other crap folks go nuts over. Use your ears and your gut. You'll find the right one.
    I've had my eye on those, they seem like great guitars! And I saw that they have an ebony traditional with a BIGSBY. I will definitely go try a bunch. I'm going to town tommorrow, so I will have a chance to play some. And a guy also might come and buy my Les Paul tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    If you're ready to dump $1800 save a tad more and get a LOT more guitar with a used 57 or 58 Historic or VOS...
    I have seen used 57's sell recently in the 2000-2200 range and thats a LOT of guitar for just a little more than 1800.
    Well $1,800 is really the very top of my budget. I will have to save just a little longer to have that too. And I just don't know if I really want to spend over 2 grand on a guitar right now, when I'm sure I can still get a very nice guitar for less. I'm only 19 years old lol
    Quote Originally Posted by metlking View Post
    Those Trad Pros are a heck of a deal and the best Les Paul "bang for the buck" you will find in my opinion......look for used! $1400ish....
    Ok cool! I am really anxious to try one out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the Trad pro too. they have a satin neck back that feels great.
    ----
    My gear:
    Arisa, Fender American Standard Stratocaster
    Kureha, Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
    Jasmine, Agile AL-3000M

Orange OR15 head w/ Vox 112NT cab
    Fender Champion 20

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any change you can raise a little more for a R7 or R8?

It costs a bit more but then a LP Trad is already very expensive, and still a nashvilled holed out piece.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ya i know what you mean about the classic customs being heavy, but im almost 99% sure they are chambered. They also have Gibson's new "baked maple" board.....I havent played one of those yet, but they are prolly similar to feel and sound of the ebony one on my custom
    2013 EVH Wolfgang USA HT
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TRAD PRO DESERT BURST