Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just bought the Bonamassa Wah

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Just bought the Bonamassa Wah

Cool. They definitely went with a higher quality PCB and components for this one ... and is that a Halo inductor? It's definitely not the stock Crybaby inductor or a Fasel.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool. I figured out how to sound like JB on my Valvetronix. Now I can sound even more like him.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since we're on the topic of the wah pedal, here's the cool wah pedal documentary.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 03-03-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    Cool. They definitely went with a higher quality PCB and components for this one ... and is that a Halo inductor? It's definitely not the stock Crybaby inductor or a Fasel.
    It is a Halo...

The JB wah is based on a modded Crybaby that Tripps did for Joe a few years back.

I love that it has the ability to go true bypass and non true bypass and I also live that is has a buffer in it for use with fuzz pedals, both very nice touches!

Cool wah Joe.
    Proudly Klon free!

Asshatologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Omg that VOX pedal looks gourmet ... I mean booteek

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by grumptruck View Post
    Omg that VOX pedal looks gourmet ... I mean booteek
    Actually both! ;o)
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can the Bonamassa Wah take a power supply ?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep, I wish the Fuzz Face's did too, but they're sticking with tradition and the general consensus that batteries sound best in them. I've never directly compared a Fuzz with DC power compared to 9 volt batteries. If anyone has, I'd like to hear their opinion.

I may leave the bottom cover off my FF and run a power cable to the 9 volt plug.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gearjoneser, I live in Ventura about 40 minutes from Chatsworth... may have to sneak into your place and test it out... and the rest of your jizz worthy gear

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
    How about the Vox HW 846 wah? Does it compare?
    this is what I want to know.. I love the look of the bonamassa one. And from what I read, I think ID love the tone of the Cantrell.. I cant find the right wah.. I have a Bad horsey and I dont care for it.. I have a VOx 847 (I think) and its ok, but seems more shrill than I prefer.. Im sure its mostly my technique or lack there of..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Ultimate Tone Member PRSfan nym 1985's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tend to prefer wahs with the halo inductors, and you guys do realize even if it doesn't have a jack you can still use a power supply to power the wah right? they make adapters for psu's that are like 9V battery clips.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PRSfan nym 1985 View Post
    I tend to prefer wahs with the halo inductors, and you guys do realize even if it doesn't have a jack you can still use a power supply to power the wah right? they make adapters for psu's that are like 9V battery clips.
    SHUT YO MOUF

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For any of you who are thinking of buying one, check out the dealer offering it for regular price with 4 cables included in the deal. I wish I'd seen that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunlop-Joe-B...#ht_1616wt_952

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Someone was selling the CAE dual-inductor wah on HC, but he wants $135 or something for it USED. That one also looks like a really nicely made and sounding wah. I sent him a compelling argument and he said to make an offer on this pedal he's been selling for months, along with some other top notch guitars and amps, but he wouldn't do it for $100. I would rather spend the money on a new JB sig wah or even a new CAE with a warranty and receipt......

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Rancher View Post
    SHUT YO MOUF
    interesting thank you for adding your point of view now we have all the answers
    Last edited by PRSfan nym 1985; 03-03-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Rancher View Post
    Someone was selling the CAE dual-inductor wah on HC, but he wants $135 or something for it USED. That one also looks like a really nicely made and sounding wah. I sent him a compelling argument and he said to make an offer on this pedal he's been selling for months, along with some other top notch guitars and amps, but he wouldn't do it for $100. I would rather spend the money on a new JB sig wah or even a new CAE with a warranty and receipt......
    ok? ppl do this stuff all the time (it's called ripping people off), if you want a CAE wah go on ebay, chances are you can find a new one with warranty cheaper than most of the major retailers charge. I've used the CAE and it's nice but a good halo wah is seriously where it's at. But it all depends on the wah tone you like.

Halo is quite different than the typical Dunlop/Fasel thing and very different from the Morley thing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Yep, I wish the Fuzz Face's did too, but they're sticking with tradition and the general consensus that batteries sound best in them. I've never directly compared a Fuzz with DC power compared to 9 volt batteries. If anyone has, I'd like to hear their opinion.

I may leave the bottom cover off my FF and run a power cable to the 9 volt plug.
    Dunno about wah pedals never tried that but to me my Fuzz Faces tend to pickup more noise with power supplies (even good ones) and that's enough reason for me to use batteries...add to that, a cheepo battery will last hundreds of hours in a Fuzz Face and I see no need to bother with power supplies.

BTW, leaving the bottom off will make it even more prone to noise...
    Proudly Klon free!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

V846 HW vs Bonnamassa wah

Before anybody asks, no I have not tried them both however I can tell you this...

The V846 HW is a part for part replica of the old V846 which for those that do not know is the wah that Vox built right after the Clyde McCoy wahs in the mid 60's.

They have a very weak/clean type of wah sound with just enough growl if you use a bit of grit to make notes sing a bit. Based on clips the new HW version nails the tone of most of the originals.

The Bonamassa wah is based on a Jeorge Tripps modded Hendrix wah and while the Hendrix wah is supposed to be based on a vintage wah circuit it sounds little like a vintage wah...it has a MUCH wider sweep, it has a HUGE low end and a very different midrange.

Don't expect the Bonamassa and the HW846 to sound very much like each other at all.
    Proudly Klon free!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

for a simple setup of only a couple pedals batteries really aren't a big deal, I was simply trying to provide another option for people considering that pedal that may be incorporating it into a larger pedalboard that already has a power supply for everything.

To be honest the PP2+ is really not much different than using batteries, and the fact that I never have to unscrew a million pedals anymore is really nice (I can just leave my pedals velcro'd to the board). On the PP2+ you can actually adjust the "SAG" to emulate dying batteries so you can get some very good tones out of older (and older "styled") dirt boxes. For me the power supply is a time saver and it saves me a lot of money. I can't even begin to tell you how much I used to spend on batteries. And now at gigs (or for recordings) I don't have to worry about checking all the batteries ahead of time, etc. I can go with confidence.

I guess I go to pretty far levels to ensure I don't get noisy power and all that with a good power conditioner feeding power to my amp(s), effects, computer, recording interface, etc. I also run everything through that and an APC backup to ensure none of my gear gets fried in a power outage/surge or at a venue with "questionable" wiring.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PRSfan nym 1985 View Post
    Don't expect the Bonamassa and the HW846 to sound very much like each other at all.
    I've played a lot of wah pedals, and owned a few vintage Cry Babys. After playing a vintage 846 and the Bonamassa, I can say the Bonamassa sounds more to my liking. And it's way better than most of the new Dunlop signature wah's.

The other signature wah's I like are the Cantrell, Buddy Guy, and surprisingly, the Kirk Hammet which has a very cool midrange trumpety thing going on when you use it clean, which most buyers of the KH wah aren't using it for. The Hammet wah is actually pretty cool, except for that lame skeleton top. Otherwise, I like the sound of it and the paint scheme.

I haven't tried the Zakk, Slash, or Dime wah's. I didn't like the EVH much....too subtle. I'd also really like to try the RMC Joe Walsh wah.

If I were to buy any at this point, it'd be the Buddy Guy and Cantrell.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 03-03-2012 at 10:25 PM.