Thread: STK-S4N missing a wire?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default STK-S4N missing a wire?

a STK-S4 neck came in today. it just has the black and the white and the bare. thinking I'd seen something about them being a 3-wire pup, I looked up the wiring and it shows there should a red wire.

it is the neck, not the middle. and the place for the red wire appears totally untouched and there no indication it might have once been there and somehow removed. it meters at 8.84k, which is a tad low, but not out of bounds.

is this normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: STK-S4N missing a wire?

it's installed and seems to work fine - btw, much louder than the Vintage Rails while keeping a very similar tone... so I got that going for me. anyway, the missing red is not a big deal as it's meant to be used for splitting and I'm not splitting in the application. but it's just a curiosity.

I have another STK-S4n coming from here within the forum that should be here in another day or so. will be interesting to see the difference, if any.

Jessie's ghost

I'm sure this is covered elsewhere, but what's the deal with the resistor?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

no idea. since it's in a space called 'R1', I figured it was 'R' for 'resistor'. but that is a good point. why hard-wire a resistor to a pickup? is it something that makes the neck different from the middle or the neck/middle different from the bridge?

this is my first experience with the 'new' style of Duncan single-size hums, so I don't know if any of the other ones have that resistor on them as well.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

here is a middle position version.

it also lacks that red wire. and it does not have that resistor.

hmmm. something's afoot at the Circle K.

The resistor is part of the noise canceling circuit. It may or may not be the same from pickup to pickup. It fine tunes it. As for the red wire, that is a bit odd. I have a few here but they are packed away and I can't get to them easily.

Mojo's Minions
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It may well be that a few different pickups share the same bottom plate....better for costs. Some pickups use some of the options, others all. Hopefully you have a fully functional pickup....but if it sounds great then thats the main thing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The baseplate is common to several models. I have an STK-6n (the Washburn Nuno variant) stashed away for a project. This pickup has just two conductors and works fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    My wife always has it in her back pocket.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have STK-s5 that have the same lead wires no red wire.
    these STK-5's were wound for nuno bettencourt and sound very stratty without any noise how is your 4's?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The resistor does not fine tune the highs. It balances the noise content between the two coils for perhaps the lowest noise levels of any stacked single coil type pickup on the market. Each pickup is hand calibrated. Whether there's a resistor (or what value) is based on the noise test.

The red wire is for splitting and if these pickups are used, they could be from an OEM. A lot of OEM's just want the 2 conductor so they don't have to worry about taping off the red.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    I have a few here but they are packed away and I can't get to them easily.
    if they are packed away and you're not using them, would you like to move at least 1 of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hunter View Post
    I have STK-s5 that have the same lead wires no red wire.
    these STK-5's were wound for nuno bettencourt and sound very stratty without any noise how is your 4's?
    the 4 I installed yesterday sounds fine. like a louder Vintage Rail or a hum-less APS-1.

the part about the missing red wire being part of an OEM order was what I was thinking, especially as it looked as if there was never a wire there at all. if not for looking at the wiring schematic, I might not have even thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by darthphineas View Post
    if they are packed away and you're not using them, would you like to move at least 1 of them?
    Dunno yet. I might be putting them in something else. If I do decide to move them, I'll be posting them in here first.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While on the topic of STK-S4N and missing wire, I've just received one from eBay, the seller neglected to mention that there's only 4" of lead on this neck pickup. Grrr.

So:

The little wire hoop that anchors the cable entering the pickup - it looks as though it would be very straightforward to desolder that, fit a new lead, then resolder the hoop back over the lead.

Any traps waiting for me? I guess I'll be doing it anyway, I'd prefer not to splice, but wondering if anyone else had done it and had wisdom to impart?
    Last edited by Multi Angle Vise; 06-04-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was pretty straightforward. The circuit board is butted hard up against the bottom coil bobbin, so you can only put wire to the depth of the board thickness into the hole.

The original cable was some beautiful super flexible Mogami cable, it was a shame to take it off. I couldn't find anything like that around, and I didn't want to buy 100m. I ended up using a bit of reasonably flexible wire pulled from an 8 balanced pair snake cable. I'm not interested in ever using it as a pure single coil, so I didn't worry about the third wire, have gone red=hot, blue=cold.

I had to replace the wire staple that secures the cable, as this cable is a bit thicker.

What else? You can see it's a PAF! And it is no longer ROHS, I used tin/lead solder.

I should have just enough lead now to get from the neck pickup cavity back to the selector switch.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The resistor does not fine tune the highs. It balances the noise content between the two coils for perhaps the lowest noise levels of any stacked single coil type pickup on the market. Each pickup is hand calibrated. Whether there's a resistor (or what value) is based on the noise test.
    I knew about this but I just had to quote it and say, that is SO COOL. These pickups really appeal to my geeky side.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by darthphineas View Post
    a STK-S4 neck came in today. it just has the black and the white and the bare. thinking I'd seen something about them being a 3-wire pup, I looked up the wiring and it shows there should a red wire.

it is the neck, not the middle. and the place for the red wire appears totally untouched and there no indication it might have once been there and somehow removed. it meters at 8.84k, which is a tad low, but not out of bounds.

is this normal?
    Very interesting,what are the colors on the resistor?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dazzlindino View Post
    Very interesting,what are the colors on the resistor?
    go back to OP and it's there in the photo.