Thread: 2HB Tele Wiring Help Needed

Jay 77

Default 2HB Tele Wiring Help Needed

Hi guys, I'm in need of some help here. I recently wired my Peavey Generation as per the SD diagram for 2hb, 1T, 1V, 3 way blade, push pull for spilt but the middle position doesn't work. At high amp volumes, there's a faint signal coming through but that's it. I assume they're cancelling each other out somehow, so perhaps I need to flip some wires? The pu's are both GFS, and they follow the SD colour codes.

Any help here would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 2HB Tele Wiring Help Needed

i dont think they are cancelling each other out, check your switch and make sure its wired correctly

Jay 77

Will do. I triple checked it the other day but it couldn't hurt to have a look again. Thanks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

make sure you have the switch oriented the right way so the common tabs have the two pup wires

Jay 77

The switch is wired exactly as it should be, but no luck in the middle position. I had this happen before on a 2HB strat with no split as well. Is the diagram wrong perhaps?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is more than one type of three-way selector switch. The SD schematics illustrate the American-made CRL type - as found in USA Telecasters and true-to-vintage replica Stratocasters.

The majority of SE Asian three-way selector switches arrange their contacts in a single line of eight.

There used to be a Japanese-made selector switch that more closely resembled the American switch BUT its two poles were on the opposite sides of the switch.

The upshot of all this waffle is that the SD schematic diagrams are only applicable to the American type switch or faithful imitations.

Once you know the terminal layout of your particular selector switch, it is easy to translate the standard schematic diagram to suit your components.
    Esperanza Spalding - "You have to have something to say; chops don't matter. If you have nothing to say on your instrument, I'll just go home and listen to albums with people better than you."

Jay 77

The one I have is from Allparts, and is a mirror image to the one in the SD diagram. I wired as such, and the middle position doesn't work.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gonna need pics.
    Esperanza Spalding - "You have to have something to say; chops don't matter. If you have nothing to say on your instrument, I'll just go home and listen to albums with people better than you."

Jay 77

I'll see what I can do. Might have to do some tinkering first, and go from there. Thanks for the help.