Thread: Is the JOHNSON MILLENIUM JM-150 a good amp head?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Is the JOHNSON MILLENIUM JM-150 a good amp head?

Would you trade a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL for a JOHNSON MILLENIUM JM-150 amp head? why or why not? need help guys, please and thank you guys.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Is the JOHNSON MILLENIUM JM-150 a good amp head?

No. The Johnson's are pretty great all-in-one solutions, but a lot of what they have going for them are digital effects. Digital effects are evolving quickly, so older stuff devalues pretty fast. While they do have some tube gain stages in the preamp, they are largely transistor based. Your Marshall is a real-deal tube amp, and will hold its value much better. I'm not trying to steer you away from the JM. It's a good tool & worth using. I'm just saying a straight across trade is unfair to you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks man, I am truly thankful, thanks for the quick response Guston7, i think this guy wants to trade me, ill make sure to see if i can get him to sweeten up the deal BIG time if not then he can kick rocks, hahaha. ill get back to you on what he says.
    thanks again man
    Last edited by toneseekr; 03-26-2012 at 03:08 AM.

Her Little Mojo Minion DankStar's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those were super noisy, failed compared to line 6 when they came out, and had a resale value of crap.

HomeGrownToneBrewologist Rich_S's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's no amount of "sweetening" that would make a deal on that amp worthwhile. About the only deal I'd take on a Johnson these days is, he gives you the Johnson for free and you keep the Marshall, too. Johnson was a competitor of Line 6 in the early days of modeling amplifiers. IIRC, Steve Howe and Adrian Belew were both Johnson users. At this point, it's a 10-year-old 1st-generation modeler just waiting to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson Website
    July 2002

Johnson Amplification will no longer be manufacturing the current line of Johnson Amplifiers. However, we will continue to support these products. Below, you will find our warranty statement, which remains unchanged. You may buy Johnson Amplifiers and factory re-furbished amplifiers with complete confidence.
    Note the date: Johnson exited the amp business in 2002, ancient history in the digital modeling world.

Your Marshall, however, with proper care and maintenance, will bascailly last your entire lifetime, and I'll bet Marshall the company will still be around then, too.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That would not be a good trade IMO. The Johnson has a reputation for being unreliable.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would you trade a perfectly functional pickup truck for a nintendo 64?
    green globe burned black by sunn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks you guys i think you guys had very good points, most were blunt points, which is what i very much look for when it comes to replys, so thanks guys! you guys always help i denied the trade and im waiting to see if i get sum good trade (craigslist) for the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 BUT if any of you guys are interested let me know ill give you guys first priority thanks once again guys.
    Is there any amps you guys would consider a good trade for this amp in general if it ever came along?
    Last edited by toneseekr; 03-26-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toneseekr View Post
    thanks you guys i think you guys had very good points, most were blunt points, which is what i very much look for when it comes to replys, so thanks guys! you guys always help i denied the trade and im waiting to see if i get sum good trade (craigslist) for the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 BUT if any of you guys are interested let me know ill give you guys first priority thanks once again guys.
    Is there any amps you guys would consider a good trade for this amp in general if it ever came along?
    Well its more what are you after? What do you not like about the DSL?
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those Marshalls are great but 100w is sooo much power. As long as you trade for something that regularly sells for about the same amount you're fine...
    green globe burned black by sunn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Edgecrusher well I love it but I wanna see what else is out there. I want something with BRUTAL metal tone.
    Thanks Empty Pockets.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i also have other things for trade i have a Boss dd-5 and a Boss Eq. and i also have a EMG 81, EMG S and another EMG S and the EMG come as a set and include the three quick connect wires with a EMG volume and a EMG tone pot and a Stereo input. i am looking for a Boss Metal Zone Modded by Keeley or a Ibanez TS9 Modded by Keeley.