Thread: Jimmy Page

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Jimmy Page

Hello everyone, I’ve been a lurker here for a while but decided to come out of the abyss and post something. I wanted to let everyone know I've started a blog, but this one I think will be unique. I intend to take a journey through the life of Jimmy Page by learning as many songs as I possibly can that he ever recorded. From his skiffle days to Neil Christian, from the session years to the Yardbirds, from Led Zeppelin and beyond. I also want to explore the ins and outs of his life, little known facts, and also examine all the different gear he used.

This is going to be a loooooong process of course but I think in the end I will become a better guitar player and maybe understand Jimmy Page just a little bit more, or at least how his mind worked creatively and how he developed as a musician. That's the goal anyway. I intend to explain the ins and outs of each song and then play them, describe how its going in the process, what parts are easy, what parts are difficult. Hopefully if you do end up reading it, you might be able to learn along with me.

I'm very excited about this venture and I invite you all to take the journey with me. So take a look, I've already figured out how to play skiffle like a 13 year old Jimmy Page, rode along with him in his session days, and jammed with Jeff Beck in the early Yardbirds years and am kicking off his time in Led Zeppelin.

Take care everyone.

Here is the link in case you are at all interested....
    http://findingzoso.blogspot.com/

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Jimmy Page

I checked it out and it is wonderfully thorough and well written.

I subscribed to your RSS feed - looking forward to reading through everything.

Thanks for sharing it with us, and welcome aboard.

-Hunter

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll follow along... I've been a big Page fan for a lot of years. He's the reason I picked up the guitar.

Welcome to the forum...
    '05 Gibson Les Paul Classic
    '11 Taylor 414CE
    Orange Rockerverb 50

Riffologist Extraordinaire ex-250's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reading that just sucked up a solid hour before I took notice. Good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I checked it out and it is wonderfully thorough and well written.

I subscribed to your RSS feed - looking forward to reading through everything.

Thanks for sharing it with us, and welcome aboard.

-Hunter
    Thank you, very much, you are too kind, haha.
    Check out my Blog to learn everything about Jimmy Page: http://findingzoso.blogspot.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice reading blood bro.

HR
    It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is amazing. Incredible detail and very well written. Bookmarked for further reading. A friend of mine saw Jimmy hanging around in a street in our home town (Brighton, England) 2 or 3 years ago and plucked up the courage to go and say hello. He chatted to Jimmy for about 10 minutes I think although I can't remember anything he said about the conversation. I'll ask him if it's of any interest to you.

Welcome and good luck with the incredible task you've set for yourself.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by richard parker View Post
    That is amazing. Incredible detail and very well written. Bookmarked for further reading. A friend of mine saw Jimmy hanging around in a street in our home town (Brighton, England) 2 or 3 years ago and plucked up the courage to go and say hello. He chatted to Jimmy for about 10 minutes I think although I can't remember anything he said about the conversation. I'll ask him if it's of any interest to you.

Thank you so much! That is way too cool about your friend, I am super jealous! Please ask him what Jimmy said to him, I want to know everything, haha.
    Check out my Blog to learn everything about Jimmy Page: http://findingzoso.blogspot.com

My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance or http://www.soundclick.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in North Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by everdrone View Post
    Nice stack in your sig!

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bump to remind me to phone my mate.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For all those that wanted to actually hear me play, I've posted a little video tutorial on how to play the main riff to "Whole Lotta Love" on the Finding Zoso Blog. You can catch the link here: http://findingzoso.blogspot.com/2012...-tutorial.html

I really hope you all enjoy it!

Thanks everyone!

Uptonogood
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last year, I was living near Birmingham, pretty close to the area where Robert Plant lives, and whenever I'd head out to Kinver/Stourbridge/etc I'd keep an eye peeled, hoping I'd run into him. I even went to a pub he was supposed to hang out at sometimes a couple of times (not purposefully to look for him, obviously).

It never happened and I came back across the pond and forgot about it completely for the last 3 months.

Until I read this.

Quote Originally Posted by richard parker View Post

Now I feel like I should have gone full-on stalker and tracked him down, even if just to say "thank you".

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tc View Post
    Last year, I was living near Birmingham, pretty close to the area where Robert Plant lives, and whenever I'd head out to Kinver/Stourbridge/etc I'd keep an eye peeled, hoping I'd run into him. I even went to a pub he was supposed to hang out at sometimes a couple of times (not purposefully to look for him, obviously).

It never happened and I came back across the pond and forgot about it completely for the last 3 months.

Until I read this.

Now I feel like I should have gone full-on stalker and tracked him down, even if just to say "thank you".
    When I get my chance to go to the U.K. and some far off point down the line, I will do my damndest to "run into" Jimmy Page somewhere. To be honest though, if I ever did meet him, I don't know what I would do or if I'd have the courage to speak.

Uptonogood
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh man. I'd give him a guitar and ask him to play "Freebird".

In all seriousness though, very nice site. College has been driving me insane the last couple of weeks and I haven't actually sat down to play for a bit. Getting my Page on might be just what the doctor ordered.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tc View Post
    Oh man. I'd give him a guitar and ask him to play "Freebird".

In all seriousness though, very nice site. College has been driving me insane the last couple of weeks and I haven't actually sat down to play for a bit. Getting my Page on might be just what the doctor ordered.
    Jimmy Page is medicinal, fact! Haha. Glad you like the site!

Her Little Mojo Minion DankStar's Avatar
    Pull my finger and the Toothless One will tell you
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I saw some tabs and got excited. cool! looking forward to learning some of his riffs.

Somewhere in Finland, wrestling with isbjörn
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also subscribed to RSS feed!

Great stuff, man!
    Mayones Regius 6 (BKP Painkillers Tyger), Ibanez FR420
    Axe Fx Standard, Randall Diavlo 45, Engl 212EV Pro
    Boss Ns-2, Visual Sound RT808, TC Electronic Polytune

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    Musicians are ****ing retards.
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-250 View Post
    Beer can never be the source of wrong.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bookmarked. I'll read it all later, since I'm a big Page fan. A lot of how I approach acoustic guitar was influenced greatly by JP. Just yesterday, I was showing someone the parts to Kashmir and Black Mountain Side. DADGAD opens up a world of cool chord voicings.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Bookmarked. I'll read it all later, since I'm a big Page fan. A lot of how I approach acoustic guitar was influenced greatly by JP. Just yesterday, I was showing someone the parts to Kashmir and Black Mountain Side. DADGAD opens up a world of cool chord voicings.
    I totally agree. Jimmy Page referred to DADGAD as his C.I.A. tuning. Celtic, Indian, and Arabic.