Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinkin' of joinin' the military...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Thinkin' of joinin' the military...

I really don't mean it in a negative way.

More and more people do not take orders anymore from people who are obviously intellectually inferior to them. A lot of freelance programmers come out of it (and those had a better chance of a smart leader before), and even those who continue employment can switch employers. That's difficult in the military.

On the other hand there is some awesome machinery to mess around with there.

Or you can go the route of becoming a dumb leader.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
    I really don't mean it in a negative way.

More and more people do not take orders anymore from people who are obviously intellectually inferior to them. A lot of freelance programmers come out of it (and those had a better chance of a smart leader before), and even those who continue employment can switch employers. That's difficult in the military.

On the other hand there is some awesome machinery to mess around with there.

Or you can go the route of becoming a dumb leader.
    While I was only for in four years, I had those fears going in (regarding poor leadership, etc.), I was in an odd position where I had to work with many levels (up to two star generals). I was very surprised to find the contrary, I had excellent leadership, many very respectable, sharp officers and senior NCOs. I was very surpirsed...still to this day.

There were a few idiots in senior roles and they were relegated out of the way, but most were at the junior levels (doing pushups).
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

INTENSELY corrosive sweat formula73's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mattt, just because I didn't have any direction doesn't mean I haven't been serving my country for 13 years and it's not like I'm not a little proud of it. I'm 3rd generation Navy. My Grandfather was a nuke, as well, and trained under Rickover. It's all that that pushed me to go Navy instead of somewhere else. That, and not having to take orders from people less intelligent than I am. At least I can say my bosses are all nukes, which means they're all somewhat intelligent. Socially inept, maybe, but not unintelligent.

The separation from family sucks (my boy was 11 months when I left; it's hard to even recognize him in the pics, already), as does moving every couple years and so does not being able to put down roots, as you said. Another ***** is that if you're married, you can pretty much depend on being a one income family. My wife can't really work because it'd all go to child care and would never really do more than that because it's not like SHE can really put down roots, either. She's gotta up and move every few years, like I do. It's hard to start a career like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    the Les Paul is the ultimate electric guitar.
    i know that's a pretty heavy statement to make and a bunch of dudes that love Teles and shredsticks are gona argue with me, but they're wrong.
    anything you can't do on a Les Paul is because you haven't practiced enough or you don't rock hard enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post
    You put the "pow" in "power bottom."
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    *Thumpety Thump Thump Thump...WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP"

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did 21 years in the Army. I wanted to join since I was a kid and planned on doing 20. Naturally there were good times and bad. Good folks to work with and for, also just the opposite. You're going to get that anywhere. Got to see a lot of Europe (stationed in Germany three times) and some places I dont want to see again. Got good job training that landed me the job Im in now (Helicopter Pilot). So I would say do it. Get a job skill that you can use when you exit the military. I have talked to so many young Hooahs that want to be a scout sniper SEAL Ranger ninjas, and don't get me wrong the Services need those types, but it may be easier to find a job with some other useful skills, other than killing someone with their own hair. The military is in a reduction, so you need to be smart and have good scores to get the job/skill your enlisting for. They arn't taking Joe Blow with the GED if they have someone with a HS diploma and college, see what I'm sprayin?

Good luck,
    Scott
    Good deals with: uOpt, CaughtLikeFire, appar111, austin, andrizzle, muttznmongrelz, The Guitar, cmanningjr

Purveyor of Low End Bass_Medic_05's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 16+ years in and I love it, it's a brotherhood few will ever know! You can travel, 30 day paid vacation your very first year, medical dental paid for, whats not to love about it. They give you three meals a day, clothes a place to sleep, shoot cool weapons at bad people......sweet right....I think so

PM anytime about any question you might have
    Last edited by Bass_Medic_05; 04-01-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
    Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
    Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
    Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)/Ovation CC-074
    Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
    Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
    Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
    Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
    Fender Jazz Bass fretless (Black)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
    Gibson EBO AMPS: [I]Fender 300w tube head/Eden 4x10 1x15

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Knock yourself out.
    I am the Special Envoy of Unparalleled Tone. I would be a Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary, but I don't have a Hiwatt.

Purveyor of Low End Bass_Medic_05's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Re: Thinkin' of joinin' the military...

Quote Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
    How well do you take orders from people dumber than you?

If you have a problem with that, don't do it.
    Hey dude, just so you know there are alot of guys in the military who have multiple degrees.
    And in any job you are in you are gonna be taking orders from someone, even if you own your own business.....the customer.

FYI, this forum has a lot of present past and future veterans, so if you got a beef with us, then maybe this forum isn't right for you..... so piss off!
    Last edited by Bass_Medic_05; 04-01-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
    Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
    Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
    Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)/Ovation CC-074
    Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
    Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
    Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
    Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
    Fender Jazz Bass fretless (Black)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
    Gibson EBO AMPS: [I]Fender 300w tube head/Eden 4x10 1x15

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Medic_05 View Post
    Hey dude, just so you know there are alot of guys in the military who have multiple degrees.
    And in any job you are in you are gonna be taking orders from someone, even if you own your own business.....the customer.

FYI, this forum has a lot of present past and future veterans, so if you got a beef with us, then maybe this forum isn't right for you..... so piss off!
    Seems like you have a very optimistic take on it. I dig that. I will hit up a recruiter tomorrow and see what he has to tell me. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    You know how to tell if you've got the cajones to shoot someone? Shoot your pet.
    In the beginning, God created the earth and rested. Then God created Man and rested. Then God created Woman.

- Since then, neither God nor Man has rested.