Thread: I wanna swap magnets in my JB... Teach me...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default I wanna swap magnets in my JB... Teach me...

All this magnet swapping and great results has led me to do a mag swap in my jb. Now does anyone have any pointers to swapping mags and are there any threads here on how to swap magnets without destroying the pup!! I wanna try an A2, an A8, and a rough cast A5. Thanks again guys!!

Super Toneologist Soulcrusher_X's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I wanna swap magnets in my JB... Teach me...

its pretty easy. just loosen the four screws on the baseplate that hold the bobbins in place. Even just a 1/4 turn or so should be fine. Then, from the side that you can see the wiring, push the magnet out of the other side with a small flat blade screwdriver or other useful pokey thing. If the tape gets in the way, you can just shift it out of the way a tad. Ive never had to completely remove it. Then, install the magnet with north facing the slugs and tighten the screws.

LP Custom
    Greenbacks
    Boss SD-1

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok now here is the noob question??

Will the mags be labeled north, or do you use magnetic orientaion to determine north and south??

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you get them from addiction FX like most of us do, he puts either an arrow pointing north, or puts a marker stripe on the north side

LP Custom
    Greenbacks
    Boss SD-1

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got ya. Thanks man. I am thinking of getting a few mags. What would the main differences A2, A5roughcast, and A8??

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This article was written by our own stratdeluxer97. This is truly the correct way to do it, but I take many shortcuts, like I don't repot the pickups.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/barmagswap.htm

When I do it, basically I remove the cover if there is one by weakening the solder and then popping the cover with a flathead or knife very gently. By doing it this way, you will probably bend the cover a bit, which could hurt resale value. Other guys use a dremel tool or something like that.

Then you unscrew the four screws on the baseplate partially. If there is tape or wrap, unwrap the pickup. One side of the magnet may be surrounded by wires, and the other will be free and clear. I try to pull the free and clear side with a needle nose pliers. If it comes easily, then great. If it doesn't, then I'll carefully push the magnet out from the other side, taking care not to hit those wires, until it is sticking out enough to grab it and pull it out. If you DO cut off a wire, which I did once, it's not that big a deal to fix if you're comfortable with taking the pickup apart. Sometimes the magnet is really waxed in there, and I hairdryer to loosen up the wax by applying the heat to the baseplate or using an exacto knife or box cutter, something really thin, to get under the magnet and pop it up. Once it is out, you can put the new one in the same way, or reverse it to get that out of phase sound in the middle position if it is a two humbucker guitar. Remember, opposites attract.

Put the new magnet in, tighten and seat the screws GENTLY so you don't strip the bobbin--it's only plastic--rewrap it, recover if so, and that's about it.

Good luck and have fun with all the new tones.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Blueman335 posted this:

Oriented - Almost always for A5, and (seems to be) always for A8. The 'grain' in the metal is aligned in one direction when the mag is formed, which makes for a stronger magnet. 

Unoriented - Typically for A2, A3, and A4, and rarely A5. The 'grain' in the metal is random which gives a warmer, richer tone. More dynamics in a guitar PU.

Polished - Ground smooth and shiny. Almost all guitar bar magnets are polished. Gives a more uniformly-defined magnetic field, and a slightly sharper tone. 

Unpolished - A4's and A8's are sometimes available unpolished, which means partially ground, but still has rough grinder marks. Tone-wise closer to a polished, but maybe a little more complex. 

Roughcast - A2, A3, A4, and A5 are sometimes available as roughcast. Lumpy, bumpy, and still has sand indentations. Magnetic field isn't as uniform, and that makes guitar tones more complex and smoother on the high-end.

So, a polished A5 is bright and scooped; a RC A5 is smoother on top with a bit less treble, and an UOA5 is much warmer and fuller, closer to an A2. 

A2, A3, and A4 are always unoriented; choose between polished, unpolished, or roughcast, depending on your desired tone. 

With A8's you get polished or unpolished, the difference is small, but I prefer unpolished A8's. 

We have a lot of magnet choices these days, and prices are low. Great time to tweak your tones and get just what you want.

A2: Very middy. Soft bass and smooth treble.
    A3: Chimey treble and not a lot of bass. Middy, but not as much as A2
    A4: Very flat EQ. Perhaps a slight mid scoop, but it's pretty impossible to tell
    A5: Pretty scooped. Decent tight bass and fairly strong treble.
    A8: Very high output with a slight mid hump. Smooth treble and big, pretty tight bass.
    Ceramic: Scooped, more-so than A5. Bigger and tighter bass with strong treble.

700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A2 has lots of mids, sweet, rolled off treble and a spongier bass. A lot of guys here really dig the JB2. Still agressive, but in a smoother way. The RCA5 is like the stock JB, but a tad smoother. There is also an unoriented A5 and a roughcast version, which has the mids and softer bass like the A2, but with some of the bite of the A5. The A8 has tons of balls. waemer highs, big mids and big bass. LOTS of power. Im swapping my JB back into my LP at some point to give the JB2 and JBUOA5 a try.

LP Custom
    Greenbacks
    Boss SD-1

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. Now from what I understand, Addictionfx is the only place to get them??? I have heard a few things about them not shipping and taking a couple of weeks to ship. Is there anywhere else that I could get these mags from.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ive had mine shipped to me in a few days. Never had a problem. Maybe the dudes overseas had issues?

LP Custom
    Greenbacks
    Boss SD-1

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought mags from Addiction FX, on ebay, on a Friday night, and had them on Wednesday. That's really fast shipping in my book. I don't think you'll have a problem.
    "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I just went a got an A8, A2, and a Rough A5. this will get me started out in the world of changing magnets. I have a few older Ibanez INF pups laying around, so I will practice on them.

Now will I have to rewax the mag, or not worry about it?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didnt and never had any problems.

LP Custom
    Greenbacks
    Boss SD-1

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help!!! Now just ready to get these magnets in so I can start experimenting!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a neck INF3 that sounded horrible. I put a hairdryer to it and melted as much wax off of it as possible, then I pulled out the big thick ceramic magnet and replaced it with an A8. I put a little paper underneath the mag to make up for the extra space, and put that pickup in the bridge of an Agile Les Paul where it just ripped. It went from a muddy, blah sounding neck pickup to a really tight, powerful bridge with a few mods. I also took out the spacers, fwiw.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...d.php?t=235647

check the pic. With that, you don't even need to know which is north/south.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CrookTele View Post
    Now will I have to rewax the mag, or not worry about it?
    I've swapped many mags and never had to add wax; there'll be enough residue left. The less wax in a PU, the better.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."