Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a n00b peeks in and says hello

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default a n00b peeks in and says hello

hello all. i'm a total n00b. when i say that, i mean a complete n00b...not just to this forum, but to the guitar world in general. this is my story. maybe it's more like a novel. but it includes pix of what will become a new guitar for me, so like me, it has at least a couple redeeming qualities.

i've always wanted to play, since i was a kid. i begged my parents for a guitar starting at the age of 10 after being mesmerized by the video for smashing pumpkins' disarm. they finally obliged at christmas when i was 13 with an uber-cheapie acoustic, a guitar pitch pipe, a pack of picks, and a POS "guitar grade 1" book, and told me if i really had the talent and desire, i could teach myself with those materials. a few months later they gave me a book of siamese dream sheet music and a cheap case (so i wouldn't have to store it in the box) for my birthday. the new book also had tabs, but they were meaningless to me because i had no idea what they were and the POS grade 1 book didn't tell me. back then i had no access to teh interwebz either, and nobody to ask. i labored on my own with these materials for quite a while, without really learning how to play squat because i never could read music without cheating, even back then. i stopped after about four years of on-again-off-again working at it because of school and general frustration. by the time i had easy access to internet in college, it never occurred to me to research stuff online. i still lugged that damn cheapie guitar with me everywhere i went...it lived under my bed in my dorm at college, i took it with me when i moved 1000 miles away for grad school. the cheap case got totally covered in stickers over the years. i always swore i'd learn to play it if it was the last thing i ever did.

well i never did learn to play THAT one. when i met my musician dude early last year, he convinced me i wasn't too old to learn if i wanted to still, so i started trying to noodle on it again with his remote guidance. (there was 400 miles between us at the time.) i still had so. much. trouble. the damn thing wouldn't stay in tune longer than 10 minutes and i couldn't play a single chord cleanly on it. i was starting to tell myself that maybe i'd never learn, that i just wasn't cut out for it. finally, during a visit, my dude took a look at it and said, "well no wonder you're having trouble. the top is warped, the bridge is popping off, and the action is WAY too high." huh? lol. i know what all that means now, but i didn't at the time. i guess that's what happens to a super cheap acoustic over 15 years without any kind of humidity control. he helped me pick out a somewhat cheap yamaha that weekend and it was like night and day, playing the cheapie vs sunny. (that's what i named him. i know it's dumb, but it's what i do. every car i've owned had a name too.) that was over a year ago. now my two-year-old makes noise on the super cheapie, and i'm thinking of turning the cheap case into wall art.

anyway, i've been lurking here for a little while since my dude frequents this place. every thread i read is a learning experience, and i pester him with questions. i know basic terminology and a handful of chords, and i'm still slow and sloppy when i play. but this stuff is fascinating and i love it. i've been "borrowing" my dude's 335 to noodle on a bit, and i guess he got annoyed or something because he decided it's time for me to have my own electric, which i'm ok with because the 335 suits him way better than me. (he's not really annoyed...he actually thinks it's cool. i just like to break his stones since i'm sure he'll read this.) he had me "try on" guitars a week or so ago to see what i find to be comfortable and sourced some parts that'll get a sound similar to some of my favorite music, so i get to help him build my very first strat. on friday he found a metallic blue MIJ body and a MIM 50s reissue neck for me, since fatter necks are more comfortable for my hand/fingers. just today he bought a pre-wired black pearloid pickguard with red/silver/blue lace sensors. these are pix from the auctions, since he just bought everything and they haven't arrived yet.

it'll be fun. i'm pretty handy, so i'm looking forward to building it with him. kinda glad the pickguard is pre-wired though, seeing as i've never even so much as held a soldering iron. my dude knows how to do all that though, so i'm sure i'll learn at some point. and he'll just have to get over the possibility of me painting or putting stickers or decals on the finished product. what can i say? i'm a girl and i like pretty things, especially unique pretty things, and just because it's taken me this long to learn anything musical doesn't mean i don't have any artistic talent at all. don't worry, i'll make it tasteful if i do it. i hope.

anyway, that's my (rather long and wordy) story. i apologize in advance if i sound a bit (or a LOT) like an idiot if/when i chime in around here. maybe someday i'll actually know what i'm talking about for real. (i'm kidding. sort of.)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: a n00b peeks in and says hello

Welcome to SDUGF! I'll be back to read that little lot in a bit.
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the forum and to the crazy world of guitar gear (and playing of course)! That blue is killer! Should be a very nice guitar once it's all setup and ready to go. Good luck with it!
    - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
    - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
    - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
    - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
    - Tungsten Buckwheat
    - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
    - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
    - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome aboard!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the forum. That blue is ****ing immense. It's going to look great with the maple neck.

Personally, I would've went with a plain black guard with white pickups and knobs, but that's because I like mismatched, hot-roddy type sh!t and I love the idea of having a Strat twin for my Tele...

Anyway, let us know how it turns out. You seem to have it pretty under control but if you run into any problems during assembly, I'm sure there's someone here who will have the answers (ie. not me).

Last edited by Kam; 04-09-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks for the welcome, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    Welcome aboard!
    awesome! i'd have left that poor mutant cat in the quote, but didn't want to make the thread that much longer.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ˇ You are IN !

HR
    It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome!

Your friend is right - you're never too old to learn to play.

I think it's pretty cool that they're essentially "sponsoring" your endeavor to play, and that stuff up there is going to assemble into a really killer guitar.

We have all kinds here, but the good news about that is that no matter who you are, you'll fit in.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my band:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome!
    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
    Guitar to sound output:
    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    Hadda be done.
    I grinned when I saw longcat 1, actually laughed when I saw longcat 2, frowned when I saw longcat 3, then back to smiling / scrolling with longcats 4-6

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post
    Welcome!

Your friend is right - you're never too old to learn to play.

I think it's pretty cool that they're essentially "sponsoring" your endeavor to play, and that stuff up there is going to assemble into a really killer guitar.

We have all kinds here, but the good news about that is that no matter who you are, you'll fit in.
    ahahaha, i think you might be misunderstanding the role "my dude" plays in my life. it might be his ebay account, but the checking account connected to it has both of our names on it. and he's said the same himself, about how it'll turn out. he's mostly a gibson guy, but i think he might plan on stealing it every so often.

I grinned when I saw longcat 1, actually laughed when I saw longcat 2, frowned when I saw longcat 3, then back to smiling / scrolling with longcats 4-6
    i did much the same, only with snorting and groaning. mostly i'm honored to get my own special picture, 7x in the same thread!

Her Little Mojo Minion DankStar's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hello - cool pickguard! guitar looks like it'll be a playa

Lovely BIG Starologist bluesbend's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the Forums! And Happy Birthday!!
    " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the forum!

That's gonna be a great looking Strat! I love a good maple neck!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLivingDead View Post
    H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthejester13 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Dawn Of The Shred TheLivingDead's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome!

I like your guitar.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by longcat View Post
    ahahaha, i think you might be misunderstanding the role "my dude" plays in my life. it might be his ebay account, but the checking account connected to it has both of our names on it. and he's said the same himself, about how it'll turn out. he's mostly a gibson guy, but i think he might plan on stealing it every so often.
    Ah okay. I just read you say he lived 400 miles from you and you called him "your dude," which is none of my business, but you gotta admit is a little ambiguous.

Anyway I think that's cool. Again, welcome. Don't be afraid to ask questions around here and get to know folks.

p.v.m.u.t.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my band:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My posts are rollercoasters of emotion. It's how I roll.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post
    p.v.m.u.t.
    i have no idea what this means. lol

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome my friend!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar
    All energy is only borrowed and one day you have to give it back.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by longcat View Post
    i have no idea what this means. lol
    Posted Via (something) Using Tapatalk, I think.

It's a signature that's automatically inserted into posts by some phones.

Maybe.