Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirated Software - when is it okay?

Jessie's ghost

Quote Originally Posted by stratobastard View Post
    let me just answer for 75% of the ppl that buy software:

It's only ok when I do it because it can be justified in my mind by a dozen different reasons; anyone else doing it is a scumbag!
    lol

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pirated Software - when is it okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie's ghost View Post
    You sure about that?

I once bought what I thought was a full, unused, unopened version of Adobe Acrobat from an Amazon seller, for what I thought was a great price. When I received it I discovered that it was actually an OEM version that had come bundled with a new computer at some point and was not to be resold. Know what I did? I returned it to the seller and bought a legit copy of Acrobat.

So before you go around stating what other people will or won't do, you might want to have some idea what you're talking about first.
    You should travel to third world countries and will understand what I am talking about. Genuine software for 2-3 bucks do exist here and they are sold in legit malls and stores. Even large companies use pirated software FYI.

It's impossible for you people in the US to understand what I am talking about and then presume that my statement lacks proper grounds, cause you can't get easy access to pirated software without the fear of getting prosecuted by the FBI or whoever is in charge.

Jessie's ghost

Or maybe some of us just have ethics.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The "everybody else does it" defense never worked with my mom, either.

Penultimate Tone Slacker stratobastard's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by verbotenco View Post
    You should travel to third world countries and will understand what I am talking about. Genuine software for 2-3 bucks do exist here and they are sold in legit malls and stores. Even large companies use pirated software FYI.

It's impossible for you people in the US to understand what I am talking about and then presume that my statement lacks proper grounds, cause you can't get easy access to pirated software without the fear of getting prosecuted by the FBI or whoever is in charge.
    This right here is the MOST IMPORTANT POST in the thread.
    I challenge anone on this forum to the side by side comparison! Pirated software is a HUGE business,
    Sometimes the only way to tell if you're buying pirated software is the price

(The ethics of the pirated software dealer? Hahaha)
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA111111111111-6.jpg[/IMG]

Jessie's ghost

This right here is the MOST IMPORTANT POST in the thread.
    I challenge anone on this forum to the side by side comparison! Pirated software is a HUGE business,
    Sometimes the only way to tell if you're buying pirated software is the price

(The ethics of the pirated software dealer? Hahaha)
    Another indicator is the seller. Anonymous goober on eBay, or some fly-by-night website, vs. reputable retailer or, better still, the software company itself. I try to avoid supporting software piracy, so the last thing I want to do it pay someone to pirate it and sell it to me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by verbotenco View Post
    I can be the sucker if that makes you happy. It doesn't matter. Okay, the sucker is those who think of themselves too high almighty and immaculate that it is important to put out an ostentatious show by publicly condemning pirated software.

I just said previously, if I present one of those people with 2 exact copies of software, one is genuine and costs 100 dollars and the other is bootlegged costing 2 dollars, and both do the same thing, I am certain that those guys won't stand by their moral values. Period.

Can you imagine the enormous amount of money you would save with pirated software?
    You never mentioned that you represent the financial interests of a beleaguered Nigerian dignitary.

Yes, I am very interested in helping you reallocate those funds. I find your offer to be more than reasonable.

Please let me know where to send my bank account and employment information.

I look forward to doing business together!
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my band:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie's ghost View Post
    Another indicator is the seller. Anonymous goober on eBay, or some fly-by-night website, vs. reputable retailer or, better still, the software company itself. I try to avoid supporting software piracy, so the last thing I want to do it pay someone to pirate it and sell it to me.
    I'm talking about outside the US.
    Pirated software is sold in respected stores.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey, I killed your sister; I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway.
    I've accepted the fact that what I did was wrong so we're all good right?
    pirating software isn't even on the same planet as murder, much less the same ballpark. i think you're being extreme here.
    SOON, WE WILL ALL HAS A FLAVR!!1!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Legitimate software is sold online, too.

If they have the 'puter, they probably have 'net access.

Rationalization does not negate truth.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love u Mattt

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattt View Post
    You guys do not know what it means to be poor.

If you lived in asia and were are poor as some of the people who buy pirated products there are... i doubt you would live a life eating rice and beans; and never listenning to music, watching a film or using a computer because the only way to do so you'd consider 'immoral'. It's easy to take the moral high ground when you have the economic means to do so.

The people of asia, africa, south america, and all the poorer places in the world have lived that way, and they've concluded that live is more tolerable if you pirate products. But i guess they're all evil sinners right? Whilst you guys, who live in first-world countries that themselves only exist to due the immoral exploitation of those third world countries (Historically: slavery. Currently: economic exploitation of mineral wealth)... get to be 'moral' because you buy the products with money your country has, in a sense, stolen.

Moral absolutism is a doomed philosophy.
    I have no problem with third world countries using a free copy of MS windows. After all MS wiped out other OSes with illegal methods and let's be honest those countries will never come up to be developed countries if they can't use "normal" computers. You can't lower the official price in those countries to $5 either since that would cause re-imports to countries where consumers are get ripped off.

That's different from playing a pirated copy of a $50 from an independent developer who's $50 short of his personal rent check this month.

I also don't like supporting professional pirates, even if it's just a couple bucks per copy. That adds up quickly.

I am not yet there but the situation in the music industry is approaching a state where I think buying CDs or legal downloads actively hurts the musicians I like. If you care about the musicians buy their merchandise (as directly from them as you can) and see the show. Oh wouldn't it be great if places to have small shows would be more available around here. **** this ****.

INTENSELY corrosive sweat formula73's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    the Les Paul is the ultimate electric guitar.
    i know that's a pretty heavy statement to make and a bunch of dudes that love Teles and shredsticks are gona argue with me, but they're wrong.
    anything you can't do on a Les Paul is because you haven't practiced enough or you don't rock hard enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post
    You put the "pow" in "power bottom."
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    *Thumpety Thump Thump Thump...WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Legitimate software is sold online, too.

If they have the 'puter, they probably have 'net access.

Rationalization does not negate truth.

I'm sure computer posession & access to the internet are very different numbers

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you're that poor, how did you get a computer?

Don't assume my standard of living past or present. No, I have not been as poor as the refugees in the Sudan. I suggest none in the forum have. This does not mean that I always knew the source of my next meal.

Moral relativism is a farce. It's only relative if it meets the standards of the relativist. It is a very disingenuous philosophy. Otherwise you would have to accept that my beliefs are valid because they work for ME.

Truth is not relative.
    Last edited by LesStrat; 04-14-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My current salary is likely far less than you imagine, and it's about to be cut by $5k. This does not mean that I've always lived at my current standard, either. It does not account for the fact that it was only about 5 years ago that I finally was able to pay off student loans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattt View Post
    Regarding moral relativism, i DO think that your views are as valid as mine. That's called 'tolerance'. My own moral judgements, even judgement of other's actions, are nothing more than my own... i don't preach to anyone (though i might ***** about them if they don't act in the way i think they should, hahaha!).
    This entire paragraph is a contradiction. Your parenthetical statement, even in jest, indicates that you DO preach your values.

Hence the failure of moral relativism.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've said it before & I'll say it again.
    A lot of ppl on this forum need to get out & travel the world.
    I'm not talking about a cruise or 2 weeks in Negril but; really living like a local in third world places
    Last edited by stratobastard; 04-14-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
    You can't lower the official price in those countries to $5 either since that would cause re-imports to countries where consumers are get ripped off.
    Why not? Don't make Indonesian copies able to run English language packs. I guarantee you Microsoft would rather have $5 a head rather than 0.

That's different from playing a pirated copy of a $50 from an independent developer who's $50 short of his personal rent check this month.
    This is a terrible argument. The value of the product has nothing whatsoever to do with the financial situation of the backer. I'm sure you're one of the ones who thinks that oil companies should be taxed higher because they're making more money than other companies. Guess what? They have a product everyone wants. If a guy writes an ASCII version of Tetris and sells it for $50 because he can't pay his rent, you would say he's bad at his job. And even if you did feel sorry for him, you would just give him the $50, because the product blows. There's no connection between the two.

I am not yet there but the situation in the music industry is approaching a state where I think buying CDs or legal downloads actively hurts the musicians I like.
    What are you talking about? So someone pays for a merchant's wares, and it hurts the merchants? This doesn't even come close to making sense.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've said it before & I'll say it again.
    A lot of ppl on this forum need to get out & travel the world.
    I'm not talking about a cruise or 2 weeks in Negril but; really living like a local in third world places
    We get it. The quality of life in those places stinks. And somehow you think adding Microsoft Excel into their lives is going to improve it?

There's a big difference--and sosomething made the point better than I'm going to--between taking an item that's necessary for life and stealing what anyone in the situation you're describing would call a luxury. The little child in Africa or Honduras or Afghanistan isn't worried about where he's going to get Windows Updates if he can't eat. It's a luxury, and there's no justification for stealing it.

On the other hand, I take enormous issue with Microsoft publishing ridiculous numbers of lost revenue. They assume that each illegal copy of Windows is worth the full price. It certainly is not, because if the pirate ONLY had the option to buy a legitimate copy or not use Windows, at least some of them would use something else or nothing at all. Their lies about the situation are bad, and probably morally as inexcusable as the piracy about which they're concerned.