Thread: Phishing phone calls from Microsoft Windows?

Varg

Default Phishing phone calls from Microsoft Windows?

I just had a phone call from a guy with an Indian accent claiming to be from the Microsoft Windows support service. He says I've downloaded a lot of malicious software recently and now have a lot of polymorphic viruses on my computer.
    The thing is, in the past week or so, my computer HAS been acting weird, shutting itself down and stuff, so I've ran a few programs like Spybot and Malware Bytes (just yesterday) so it all seemed weirdly plausible.

I asked him how he knows its MY computer and he says they have the windows licence ID.
    I asked where he got my phone number from and he says from when I bought the computer. I bought the computer about ten years ago when I lived in a different house and had a different phone number. He started to get flustered at that point so I told him to f*** off.

I dont know exactly where the call was going, but its a safe bet he was trying to rip me off. So, if you get a call like it, dont be fooled.

Varg

Default Re: Phishing phone calls from Microsoft Windows?

Indian accent, that's smart you know. Because if you could really understand the guy you'd know for sure it's a scam!

Varg

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    Indian accent, that's smart you know. Because if you could really understand the guy you'd know for sure it's a scam!
    Well, ALL technical support operators I've ever phoned - legit ones I mean - are ALWAYS in an Indian call centre. They normally have a name like John Thompson or Fred McLean too.
    But yes, his accent DID make the call more believable.

Exactly. I've had a few problems over the years mostly with my old DSL connection and you get these guys with the accent. Most I've dealt with really knew their stuff and I'm sure are wonderful people but dang it a 10 minute ordeal turns into 20 because I can't understand them. Gets very frustrating for both sides.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah my Cell Phone network is a bit like that but they sound more More latin region and south American people so that can cause issues as well.
    Ich bin mein führer

Quote Originally Posted by tiptipono View Post
    you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Just Ultimate Slacker

I got the same call about 2 weeks ago.

So he gives me the same lines. Says there is a supercomputer on the internet that all windows machines connect to, so he knows my machine has viruses. Problem is, I am an IT guy. I gave him the run around for a while and then told him I knew there was no way he could have that information etc

He wouldnt let it go. I was in an odd mood so I kept it going. I asked where he was and he said he is in their office in New York City. I asked if he was close to the statue of liberty, and he got confused. I asked again. He said he works 24x7 and doesnt get a chance to get out. I asked for the name of the company and his boss name because those working conditions are against the law and I was going to turn them in. He then said he doesnt work 24x7 but doesnt get out much. I told him if he was in New York he would know about the statue of Liberty.

This went on for a while, I finally asked where he got my number from, and he said my ISP provided it. I told him that wasnt likely becuase I have a non static IP address so it would be hard for them to get that data (even though it really wouldnt be that hard)

He said "really, then how would I know you are Lars Ulrich?" This made me laugh very loudly into the phone.

Back story - back in the day of columbia house CD deals I would register with different names everytime I signed up, once I signed up as Lars Ulrich

I then knew where he got the info.

I asked if he knew who that was and he said no. I told him that is the drummer for metallica and I used that as a fake name long ago so I know he didnt get it from my ISP.

He still wouldnt let it go. I asked if he knew who metallica is. He says no. I told him if you are really in the US you know who metallica is. He still thinks I am Lars Ulrich at this point even though I told him I am not. We go back and forth, several times I tell him I am insulted he doesnt know who I am. and then he says "Metallica is an American heavy metal band from Los Angeles, California whose releases include fast tempos, instrumentals, and aggressive musicianship"
    I congratulated him on his ability to use google.
    Then he says " I did not realize you were such an important person, this makes it even more urgent that you let us clean your pc so they do not steal your credit card info"

I finally sent my daughter to the basement to get my airhorn. I fired that into the phone. HE STILL DIDNT HANG UP!
    I asked him what the crap was that noise? he siad it was on my end not his. So I did it again, but this time for about 10 seconds. He finally hung up. Total time? About 30 minutes.

The whole time my daughter was on our other phone listening in. It was like a comedy routine. I enjoyed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    whats becoming of this generation
    We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Wow, that's almost as bad as Verizon trying to sell me TV service.

Varg

Quote Originally Posted by Reload in 5 View Post

So he gives me the same lines. Says there is a supercomputer on the internet that all windows machines connect to, so he knows my machine has viruses. Problem is, I am an IT guy. I gave him the run around for a while and then told him I knew there was no way he could have that information etc

He wouldnt let it go. I was in an odd mood so I kept it going. I asked where he was and he said he is in their office in New York City. I asked if he was close to the statue of liberty, and he got confused. I asked again. He said he works 24x7 and doesnt get a chance to get out. I asked for the name of the company and his boss name because those working conditions are against the law and I was going to turn them in. He then said he doesnt work 24x7 but doesnt get out much. I told him if he was in New York he would know about the statue of Liberty.

This went on for a while, I finally asked where he got my number from, and he said my ISP provided it. I told him that wasnt likely becuase I have a non static IP address so it would be hard for them to get that data (even though it really wouldnt be that hard)

He said "really, then how would I know you are Lars Ulrich?" This made me laugh very loudly into the phone.

Back story - back in the day of columbia house CD deals I would register with different names everytime I signed up, once I signed up as Lars Ulrich

I asked if he knew who that was and he said no. I told him that is the drummer for metallica and I used that as a fake name long ago so I know he didnt get it from my ISP.

He still wouldnt let it go. I asked if he knew who metallica is. He says no. I told him if you are really in the US you know who metallica is. He still thinks I am Lars Ulrich at this point even though I told him I am not. We go back and forth, several times I tell him I am insulted he doesnt know who I am. and then he says "Metallica is an American heavy metal band from Los Angeles, California whose releases include fast tempos, instrumentals, and aggressive musicianship"
    Then he says " I did not realize you were such an important person, this makes it even more urgent that you let us clean your pc so they do not steal your credit card info"

I finally sent my daughter to the basement to get my airhorn. I fired that into the phone. HE STILL DIDNT HANG UP!
    I asked him what the crap was that noise? he siad it was on my end not his. So I did it again, but this time for about 10 seconds. He finally hung up. Total time? About 30 minutes.

The whole time my daughter was on our other phone listening in. It was like a comedy routine. I enjoyed it.
    While that sounds like a great laugh, you shoulda just told him to f*** off

Support Code 211 When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets! 81 - 1% all the way!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would only worry if I got such a call from Apple…..
    Support Code 211

When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets! 81 - 1% all the way!

Just Ultimate Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Varg View Post
    While that sounds like a great laugh, you shoulda just told him to f*** off
    Yeah, for some reason I was in a really odd mood that night. Normally I let them go about 10 seconds...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    whats becoming of this generation
    We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

" I got one from " the computer centre at your ISP ". Sounded like the India Call centre to me. It's a scam that they've caught a few people out with, around here. Getting them to divulge Passwords and credit card details. Conning people into buying antivirus software online [ that doesn't work ].
    I usually listen to a bit of their speil and then tell them they're full of crap and hang up.

InnerDreamRecords... Hey, Puckboy died...but he's better now.

- http://www.myspace.com/mrdsbigband - 80's demos and things.
    - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Mojo's Minions Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Reload in 5 View Post

LOL! Yeah, this scam is funny. I've gotten these calls too. When you call them out or hang up on them they call you back and use your name like it's a threat or something.

I wonder how many suckers actually fall for this call?
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Jessie's ghost

I'd love to get one of those calls based on an old fake-info marketing survey, like when I registered for something as Fielding Mellish of 1060 West Addison or some ****.